Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to rhapsody

Premium Member

to rhapsody

Re: Is U-Verse my only choice?

said by rhapsody:

Is this over provisioned rule true on ADSL2+?

It is here in Murfreesboro. My backup U-verse connection used to be provisioned at 3008/509kbps, but a few months ago it was re-provisioned to 3597/509kbps:

Line State Up
Broadband Connection Up
Downstream Sync Rate (kbps) 3597
Upstream Sync Rate (kbps) 509
Modulation ADSL2+

rhapsody
join:2007-12-25
Knoxville, TN

rhapsody

That helps. So it seems they're over provisioned a bit on ADSL2+ to accommodate for overhead.

Bellsouth used to do something similar on Fast Access DSL...

TimeLord04
join:2014-11-13
Danville, CA

TimeLord04 to CJC

to CJC
said by CJC :

How are their speeds? I spoke with a local rep today who was telling me how even 12Mbps will be more than enough for my needs since the quality and consistency of their speeds are so good. It's also a brand new building so she said that even further makes the quality very good. I find it hard to believe 12Mbps will work for me. The most internet intensive thing I do is probably local stream movies from my PC to my Chromecast. Also Skype, since I currently use it so much, I have no patience with issues.

She said to be safe I could do 18 but I shouldn't need it. I had originally assumed I'd need 45. I had 100Mbps with Comcast.

CJC,

One thing to note, and keep in mind, is that AT&T U-verse Internet is "Dedicated". That means, typically, that if you are on 18 Mb DL; you can speedtest, (Speedtest.net), at 9 AM, Noon, and 4 PM, and your speed will be 18 Mb each time. (No loads going...) If you have TV going in HD, and recording a couple streams on DVR, you could fluctuate a little bit. (I was just told that it could be as much as 2 Mb per HD stream in use.)

My family is on U-300, 45 Mb Internet, I have my own personal router attached to the U-verse Gateway/Router; an NVG589. One 8-Port Gigabit switch with three Vonage devices attached chained to the personal router, and a second 8-Port Gigabit switch in another room chained to the personal router.

From my computer, (connected to my personal router by Ethernet), with the downstairs 65" TV going on one HD stream, and the DVR recording another HD stream, I still score in the low 44 Mb DL speeds.

18 Mb should definitely meet your needs.

We've been a U-verse family for over five years now. Had one glitch that just got fixed. U-verse Techs are friendly and professional. They are there to help you, and are willing to go the extra mile.

I hope this helps.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to rhapsody

Premium Member

to rhapsody
said by rhapsody:

That helps. So it seems they're over provisioned a bit on ADSL2+ to accommodate for overhead.

Bellsouth used to do something similar on Fast Access DSL...

Actually, legacy BellSouth FastAccess DSL customers retained that over provisioning at the DSLAM/modem level -- AT&T just capped their speed to the SBC values at the IP level after the assimilation. Discussions like "my DS sync rate is 7+ mbps -- why do speed tests show only 5.7 mbps?" were very common in on-line forums after the SBC takeover.