spc
Search similar:

uniqs
batsona
Maryland
join:2004-04-17
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

[WIN7] Can't get WindowsUpdate to install 'other' updates...

I've done this a million times, but this time it's acting different, and I don't know why. You can configure Windows update to detect, and deliver updates for a.)Windows Only or b.)Windows, as well as other software - video card, USB controller, Microsoft Office etc etc.... When you install Windows, it defaults to deliver updates for Windows-Only. Then you look in the lower part of the Windows Update window, where it says, "Windows Update is delivering updates for Windows Only -- Click here to configure it to deliver other updates..." The last million times I did this, it takes you to a website that has some radio-buttons on it, that let you tell WindowsUpdate to deliver 'other' updates. Then it works as advertized.

When I click on this link, on my new computer it just throws up a website with two screenshots on it -- that tell me to go into the Start Menu and click on MicrosoftUpdate. i do this, and it brings me right back to the same WindowsUpdate window, with no changes in behavior at all. --What am I doing wrong?

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

You can try these?

To run a Windows Update troubleshooter
»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· -updates

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems
»www.microsoft.com/en-au/ ··· 6d2=True
batsona
Maryland
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

Click for full size
My Ordeal....
Attached is a screenshot depicting what's happening.....

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

Exidor

Premium Member

Click "Change Settings" on the Windows Update page in the Control Panel for the options to detect other updates.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to batsona

Premium Member

to batsona
you might need to switch from "windows update" to "microsoft update"..

supposedly, switching to "microsoft update" gives you more options for updates..

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

That is the problem.

On selecting Microsoft updates there is an endless loop and it doesn't install.
norwegian

norwegian to batsona

Premium Member

to batsona
said by batsona:

Attached is a screenshot depicting what's happening.....

Have you just tried to run the updates that are ready detected till there are none left then try?

Did you try at least the first tool?
batsona
Maryland
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

Norwegian has nailed it -- I'm in an endless loop. Clicking "Microsoft Update" in the Control Panel, then clicking "Get updates for other Microsoft Products", results in a webpage that tells me to go back and click "Microsoft Update" in the control panel. -A loop.

Is there a way to download a stand-alone installer for Microsoft Update? I used to administer some Server2003 systems, and we had a heck of a time getting one of them to install updates. We then saw this one system was running WindowsUpdate instead of MicrosoftUpdate. --There was a stand-alone installer for this, back then...

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

I have found this one topic from the dev center at Microsoft.
Is the registry key set to this value on your system?
It may need creating if not.
(Please back up registry entries if you modify it.)
»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us ··· 85).aspx

Exidor
Premium Member

Exidor to batsona

Premium Member

to batsona
On my Windows 7x64 system, if I change the Windows Update settings back (through the "Change Settings" link) to receive updates for Windows only (Did you try using the "Change Settings" link?) I then get this page...

clicking the "Find out more" link takes me to:

»update.microsoft.com/mic ··· ln=en-US

checking the "I agree" box and then "Install" brings up an UAC warning for permission to install "Program Name: Windows Update".

After giving UAC permission, an almost instant install then opens this page:

and Windows Update automatically opens and checks for updates...

So for some reason, you are being taken to different page than I was on my system.

I suppose you could try using the link in my post to see it that works. I don't know if the fact that you already show an update for install affects the whole process. My system did not have any outstanding updates, at least none that were not already "hidden".
batsona
Maryland
Ellicott City, MD

batsona

I had high hopes for what Exidor was telling me to do.. But.. When I paste that URL into either IE or FF, it still morphs into the stupid link that shows me the screenshot of where to go in the Start Menu to find MicrosoftUpdate. I guess there's got to be a way to install this manually via an MSI file...?

Exidor
Premium Member

Exidor

Premium Member

Sorry to repeat from above, but...
said by norwegian:

Have you just tried to run the updates that are ready detected till there are none left then try?

Did you try at least the first tool?

Also, did you try using the "Change Settings" link?

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

It makes it hard to be helpful, and I'd like to know if that registry entry for Microsoft Update has been created too.

The question seems to be "is if there is a stand alone installer".
I know you can download the cab file for Microsoft update and register the 'dlls, but an installer I've not found.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to batsona

Premium Member

to batsona
I have exactly the same issue of three Win 7 pc's. Endless loop; click here, done. click here, done. click here, right back where you started.
batsona
Maryland
Ellicott City, MD

batsona to Exidor

to Exidor
OP here: Exidor: all applicable updates have been applied, and the 'change settings' link does not act as advertized. I admit, this thread is getting long -- the Change Settings link acts just as GuruGuy describes. have not checked the registry entry -- Ill do that tonite when home. Thanks all for helping out....

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to Exidor

Premium Member

to Exidor

I wonder if turning off UAC and rebooting and trying the Microsoft update again will fix this?

Just remember to reset the UAC rule again, and reboot.

Exidor
Premium Member

1 recommendation

Exidor

Premium Member

Please note that the OP has not indicated (that I can see anyway) whether these offered solutions were attempted:
said by norwegian:

To run a Windows Update troubleshooter
»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· -updates

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems
»www.microsoft.com/en-au/ ··· 6d2=True

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

Two posts above yours, OP stated that registry check hadn't been done yet, but will do tonight. Doesn't mention the other two things.
GuruGuy

GuruGuy to batsona

Premium Member

to batsona
I on the other hand have tried all suggestions in this thread and continue to get the endless loop...on three Win 7 pc's

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to batsona

Premium Member

to batsona
Click for full size
Do you have the correct options checked in this screen shot to receive all Microsoft Updates?
PASTE THIS IN THE EXPLORER ADDRESS BAR: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Change settings

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
So both of the tools show nothing out of place?

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

That's correct.
GuruGuy

GuruGuy to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
I don't have the last two options available to check.
Pasting your link does nothing. I put in the link and hit enter and it changes to this: C:\WINDOWS\System32\control.exe
GuruGuy

1 recommendation

GuruGuy to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
On all of the Win7 machines, the registry looks different.

The entry is supposed to be: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\PendingServiceRegistration\7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d

The PendingServiceRegistration\ is missing
GuruGuy

GuruGuy to batsona

Premium Member

to batsona
I got one of the Win 7 pc's out of the loop by reverting it to IE9. Two others are running IE11. Will mess with them in a minute
batsona
Maryland
Ellicott City, MD

batsona to GuruGuy

to GuruGuy
OP here: I tried the Troubleshooting tool, but not the Upgrade Readiness tool. Still waiting to try the registry entry as soon as my daughter relinquishes her computer for the evening. ---I'll also try the Control Pannel trick. --I think I also don't have the bottom two options, just like the other gentleman noticed as well.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

Are you on IE11?

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy
Thanks, I now see why that fails to work.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to batsona

Premium Member

to batsona
Ok, 2nd machine. Uninstalled IE11 and it went back to IE8. That pc is now working too. Something in IE11 causes that infinite loop

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Interesting, there seems to be quite some headaches with IE11, but I wouldn't have thought it would be involved in this case.

I wonder for the OP if he resets the browser to defaults if it will work?