spc
Search similar:

uniqs
m82a1
join:2009-06-10

m82a1

Start Email

Hey guys,

Where do we create additional email accounts? Also, is one already assigned to the account owner by default?

Thanks.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee

I think you have to contact customer support to sign an email up. Rocca said some where that he is working on making it so that you'll be able to sign up emails automatically via control panel soon though. Hopefully soon.

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Start Sam to m82a1

to m82a1
Hello,

To create additional emails, you'll have contact us to for the time being. We are working on a customer portal where actions like email creation can be done by the customer themselves. We're pretty close to having something complete

There is not a default email created for the account holder.
m82a1

m82a1

Ok thanks!

smogers
@108.170.167.x

smogers

Anon

I say this to everyone using ISP email. It is highly suggested you do not use ISP email as if you ever switch providers you lose that email.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee

yeah, well if start stays the way it has been there will be no need to ever cancel... plus @start.ca looks way better than @gmail.com if you ask me...
m82a1

m82a1 to smogers

to smogers
I agree - i'm just merely curious, as it does say on their page we get 10 addresses, so I may as well get one. :P
HowieDoin
join:2013-04-10
Fort Erie, ON

HowieDoin to Start Sam

to Start Sam
I remember being told that this portal was 'pretty close' over a year ago...
said by Start Sam:

Hello,

To create additional emails, you'll have contact us to for the time being. We are working on a customer portal where actions like email creation can be done by the customer themselves. We're pretty close to having something complete

There is not a default email created for the account holder.

daeron
join:2012-05-11
Ottawa

daeron to smogers

to smogers
You are assuming he/she is going to use it as their primary email? Maybe it's just for junk stuff or something of the sort.

Redfox
join:2007-12-04
Kitchener, ON

Redfox to Start Sam

to Start Sam
That would be great Sam! Do you have an approximate time that this will be ready?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

I don't have a firm ETA yet, but the portal is already functional for VoIP and wholesalers so all the hard-framework type of stuff is already done and we're busy adding more functionality which includes email management.

There are some challenges around @start.ca addresses, ie humans are good at intercepting "somethinginappropriate@start.ca" whereas automated methods not so much. Email management around personal (and business) domains is being moved into it first since you can create "somethinginappropriate@yourowndomain.org" of course, and we expect that in the next month'ish, as well as password management for existing @start.ca addresses. At the same time we'll be mulling over how to implement self-created @start.ca addresses still.

Lots of other cool stuff planned for it as well.

goyourownway
@108.168.105.x

goyourownway to m82a1

Anon

to m82a1
it should also be mentioned that for about $12 a year you can register your own domain, and many registrars offer affordable email-only hosting. For less than $40 a year you can have unlimited @yourowndomain.com addresses along with usually a pretty decent interface for managing everything.

Worth looking into.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

While it's not quite $40, it's close and includes hosting »www.start.ca/services/personal
m82a1

m82a1 to goyourownway

to goyourownway
Already got some free hosting from hostgator, along with 4 of my own domains in total. And yet gmail is king for me....

I'm not too fond of hostgators webmail interface, i try to avoid it as much as i can to be honest. I use roundcube. Could you suggest some email providers with a nice webmail? Besides gmail.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

While it's not quite $40, it's close and includes hosting »www.start.ca/services/personal

From that page:
* Extra monthly transfer is billed at 1 cent per MB

From »www.start.ca/services/highspeed:
* Additional usage is 50 cents per GB on non-unlimited usage plans up to a maximum of $50

Now I realize I'm comparing apples to oranges here, but that's a 20x difference between hosting overage and internet overage.

And for comparison to my current vps provider:
* 1000GB Extra Bandwidth $4.00 USD Monthly

Now that's a 2500x difference (well not quite since that one is in USD, but I can't be bothered to look up the current conversion).

1 cent per MB really sounds like something I would expect a Bell or a Rogers to charge.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Yeah, we should probably change that although AFAIK, we've never charged anyone the overage. The package is only designed for personal/family use so we don't have high-usage add-ons for that, if you need business hosting we have different plans for that.