spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch

Sports Listings in Search Reduced on SA-8300HDC Box

Hey Guys,

I think something's up with the "B" Search on the SA-8300HDC boxes. When "B" is pressed, especially for "Non-Live" sports, the search results are horribly truncated. Please note that the Time Grid remains showing complete information.

For example, I am a boxing fan and the search listings now only will say things like 'Boxing Action"-Taped October 16, 1971. You have to go to the Time Grid to see the names of the fighters! Any of you, check other sports listings in this way and if you have an SA-8300 box, and see if the search results are truncated. ESPN Classic search results are really short now.

A plus is that for tonight's Packers-Vikings game. The listings finally show in the time grid the teams playing before the description! Now, the only issue is the truncated search results above. (Metro-Milwaukee Wisconsin here.)

Satch
Satch

Satch

Update,

A cold reboot of the box has no effect. Additionally another issue is when scrolling through the Time Grid to find a non-line boxing show. Let's take ESPN Classic as an example, and you press B. In addition to the Search only showing the date of the fight and not the names of the fighters, the B button begins on the most recent fight being shown that week, NOT on the selected boxing show in the grid. This is on the SA-8300 HDC box. Customers may want to check if other model boxes are also effected by this change. See if your ESPN Classic data for Boxing is also truncated in search. You may not be able to test the B button search on a modern box, because of the search being different, but you can still see if data is truncated for boxing on the SA-8300 HDC box.

Satch
Satch

Satch

said by Satch:

Update,

A cold reboot of the box has no effect. Additionally another issue is when scrolling through the Time Grid to find a non-line boxing show. Let's take ESPN Classic as an example, and you press B. In addition to the Search only showing the date of the fight and not the names of the fighters, the B button begins on the most recent fight being shown that week, NOT on the selected boxing show in the grid. This is on the SA-8300 HDC box. Customers may want to check if other model boxes are also effected by this change. See if your ESPN Classic data for Boxing is also truncated in search. You may not be able to test the B button search on a modern box, because of the search being different, but you can still see if data is truncated for boxing on the SA-8300 HDC box.

Update #2-ALL listings in the search results on the ESPN Classic Channel are truncated in some way, not just boxing. While the data may very slightly, it is not anywhere as detailed as before. Interestingly, the truncated ESPN Classic search data coincided with the data fix for the football games where the sports team names are now listed first. The result is now football team data is correct, but EPSN Classic's channel search results have lost a lot of descriptive data, at least on the SA-8300HDC box.

Satch
jack584
join:2014-07-07

jack584 to Satch

to Satch
If I was you I would exchange that dinosaur of a box for something new.
Satch

1 recommendation

Satch

said by jack584:

If I was you I would exchange that dinosaur of a box for something new.

It's not the box, it's the guide data. My division won't give out the newer boxes anyway unless I upgrade to Whole House DVR service or Signature Home.

Satch
Satch

Satch

Another Update,

I can report that a lot of data on the B search sports channels is truncated on the SA-8300HDC box. To test on your own boxes, if you have an SA-8300HDC, Press B, go to "Theme" select "Sports" and for my sample shows, I selected "Boxing" and yesterday selected a different sports theme, "ATP Tennis", there is almost no descriptive information listed at all.

I don't have time to test other sports themes on the box, but users, feel free to experiment with the sports search. For me this is on the Navigator Guide (Build ODN 7.2) in Metro Milwaukee Wisconsin. I do not know whether or not this is a Tribune Media Services data problem, or a TWC data problem with transmission-relay at the head-end.

I can confirm that the problem began AFTER the previous issue with the Football Games, which originally had been showing the description of the games before the names of the teams, was corrected.

Satch

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

1 recommendation

hobgoblin

Premium Member

I played around with this a bit and I think I see what you mean.

Hob
Satch

1 recommendation

Satch

said by hobgoblin:

I played around with this a bit and I think I see what you mean.

Hob

Hi Hob,

A long time ago, I have seen conditions where Tribune Media Services puts out different data sets. One is like the detailed description for the show, sports or anything. And this doesn't have to be sports. It could be like a really old series, like say something from the 60's "The Andy Griffith Show" and it gives the episode description. But if that data is not avaliable for whatever reason, it puts up a generic description, "Widowed Sherriff Andy Taylor, raises his son Opie in Mayberry North Carolina."

What I think is happening for some Sports data, is there was an update for that Football Games data glitch, which fixed the description of the game before the teams issue, but somehow, other sports data was not updated when the fix was pushed out the door, so TMS is using the generic wildcard for Sports Descriptions in search results, because somewhere along the way, the descriptive sports data did not take properly. Hobs, did you test this on the more modern boxes, or just an SA-8300HDC?

Satch
dragnoak
join:2011-11-14
Racine, WI

1 edit

dragnoak

Hi Satch,
I don't have this problem with my SA-8300HDC in Racine. I went to theme > Boxing, and on 10/10 at 8:00 PM FSWNHD 1309 has the full info of the Kayode/Ortiz fight, plus the under card.

Edit: My software version is 1.6.8.1401, ODN 7.2.0._11 2013/12/20
Satch

Satch

said by dragnoak:

Hi Satch,
I don't have this problem with my SA-8300HDC in Racine. I went to theme > Boxing, and on 10/10 at 8:00 PM FSWNHD 1309 has the full info of the Kayode/Ortiz fight, plus the under card.

Yes,

Some sports data listings are complete. Just not on all sports channels in the search. If you do a "B" Theme search for Boxing on ESPN Classic (at least on the SA-8300HDC) all that shows in the search is a date. You have to go to the Time Grid to see who is fighting. Some Showtime boxing dates in the "B" search results have the same issue. However, my investigation shows that not all sports channels have the truncated data, but some of them do.

When people had issues with the Football Games showing the description before the teams, all sports listing data was complete, no mater what was being searched in sports with the 'B" search option. Now, some of the sports listings are complete and others are not.

In other words, since the Time Grid Football Game team playing first first fix, the "B" sports search description results are a mixed bag depending on the sports category and channel showing the sport.

Satch
dragnoak
Racine, WI

dragnoak

Satch,
Ok, I "see" what you mean. Under Boxing at 10/13 11:00 PM, on ESPNC 304, all it says is "Boxing from Oct. 12, 2001, from Palm Springs, CA."

I guess I've never noticed the problem before, because I never search by "Theme".
Satch

Satch

said by dragnoak:

Satch,
Ok, I "see" what you mean. Under Boxing at 10/13 11:00 PM, on ESPNC 304, all it says is "Boxing from Oct. 12, 2001, from Palm Springs, CA."

I guess I've never noticed the problem before, because I never search by "Theme".

That's exactly what I mean,

It's frustrating for me because I manage a boxing forum and help with the scheduling, and now it's like I can't do that because the generic data that shows up doesn't tell me all the information! LOL! I suppose I could start a game of here's the date, guess the fight! hahaha!

Dragnoak, that's interesting you don't search by Theme. I almost ALWAYS search by Theme. LOL!

Satch
Satch

Satch

Bumping up for any updates on this issue,

Do you think this is a TWC issue or a Tribune Media Services issue, or both?

Satch
Satch

1 edit

Satch

Update,

ESPN's Classic's listing are still truncated in search results. As stated before, the B search results for Boxing show only a date and no other information. It simply makes the search results look horribly amateurish. All search results should show at least the following: (Regardless of the Time Grid data or search screen information.)

1.) The name of the show, movie, or sports event

2.) If a sports event, the teams or participants involved in both Time Grid and search screens

3.) Reasonable descriptive information in program listings/time grid, with the title or participants involved, shown first

Satch
Satch

Satch

Bumping up for any updates on this issue,

ESPN Classic's Boxing listings still show no information about the name of the fight in search screens. In searches, only the date of the fight is shown and sometimes the location. Only the Time Grid shows complete information. Since the listing data is retained by Tribune Media Services, I am requesting that TWC please contact them about this issue to fix this.

I was hoping that the recent ODN 7.3 update would resolve this, but it did not.

Satch

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Based on the responses in this thread it really does not impact many people.

Hob
dragnoak
Racine, WI

dragnoak

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

Oh Hob! You are so cruel to Satch. LOL

Actually Satch, I just checked again, and nothing has changed since my last report, under the new software/hardware release.

Sorry
Satch

Satch

said by dragnoak:

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

Oh Hob! You are so cruel to Satch. LOL

Actually Satch, I just checked again, and nothing has changed since my last report, under the new software/hardware release.

Sorry

LOL!

Hob's actually pretty cool! But he has a point here. ESPN Classic is not exactly a channel that tons of people watch, especially not old boxing matches that they show. It's not like that recent update that had the football game descriptions ahead of the teams. That had TONS of angry customers.

I might contact Tribune Media anyway just to see what they say. There was a very helpful rep other there and from time to time some years ago, I would contact her with listing errors and they would be corrected within about ten days. This was some years ago. The site is totally different now. I have heard that sometimes Tribune will say, "No it's the vender's issue." Than the vender says, "No, Tribune Media does all the guide data."

I do know that updating those databases is NOT a simple entry change and press a button. There is a lot of work that goes into revising the listing data. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Satch

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Trying to get focus on something that is not driving volume is pretty hard. Been doing it for years.

Good luck.

Hob