All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Neocodex
join:2003-12-17

Neocodex

[Cable] Modem kicking the bucket

I have a Motorola modem that's been excellent for the past 5 years.
This week at 11pm Monday night I lost my Internet. Would come back every now and then for a fewmmin and then it's gone. Stayed out for a day.
When I called teksavvy, they had me do a factory reset and reboot and it came back.
After a day of no issues, it's out at 11pm again. Nothing seems to be fixing it and no oneeelse is reporting outtages.

So it must be my modem.

Can someone rank the approved modems best to worst? I'm a heavy downloaded and gamer so I want the best replacement I can get. I have the 30 down service

Maxx2006
join:2013-02-02
Guelph, ON

Maxx2006

I am using the Thompson 476 for the last 1 1/2 yrs with no issues. I bought it from Teksavvy when i got my service. I cannot comment on any others.

My son games and i have had no complaints from him. I have a decent router also.

Mike
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink to Neocodex

Premium Member

to Neocodex
Don't just assume its the modem that is at fault. Can you post your modem stats just to have a look at the signal power and signal to noise ratios. Never hurts to have a look.

TSI Kris
Premium Member
join:2013-11-18
Chatham, ON

TSI Kris to Maxx2006

Premium Member

to Maxx2006
Hey Neocodex,

As Datalink posted, don't throw in the towel just yet. It could be a signal problem or the two issues are completely unrelated. Feel free to show us your signal stats. You can also post over in »/fo ··· avdirect and one of us will investigate.

Should it turn out to be a modem problem, here are my thoughts. Keep in mind I'm not sure what vendor you're using, so some of these options might not be relevant for you. I'm just going to take a guess and say you're in rCable land in Ontario.

Professional experience - To be honest, I haven't noticed any huge difference in the current generation of modems, they're all pretty solid. None of them stand out as troublemakers (there are some in the past that... weren't my favourite). We do get more DCM476 modems with issues compared to others, but that's because we sell them so they're the most common ones.

Let's start with bridge modems.
I find that the DCM 475/476 have the advantage of a physical reset switch. They're also the easiest to navigate with, just three different screens, copy paste them all to us and we can say if everything on the modem's A-OK or not. Huawei comes up rarely, so I haven't really formed an opinion on them, but the people that do use them seem very happy. The Motorola SB6141 is solid, but keep an eye on the firmware version if you buy one. I've unfortunately seen a good chunk with incorrect firmware... not for the 6141 specifically, mostly the slightly older cousins.

Onwards to the modem/router combos:

If possible I always suggest a bridge modem as stand alone routers are usually much much better at the router business, but you may have a different preference than I! So, the SBG6580 does not come up often. Whether this is just because it's rare (it is) or because it's both rare and amazingly stable (possibly?), I'm not sure. Still, the feedback I have heard on it has been pretty good.

And then there's the fabled DCW775. I've only ever ran into this modem once, there was suspicion that there was a problem with it and then... the problem just disappeared the next day. Kind of anti climactic. I know people who have been working here for a long time and only ever heard of it hushed whispers.

Personal experience - DCM476 is pretty phenomenal. Just kinda does its thing without any heat or instability issues. Doesn't cause me any issues and I game/download/upload far too much for my own good. Set it up with a good router and you're basically golden.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

I wondered though if lately rCable has been doing more work at various POI's and local nodes ... varying the signal stregnths lately as well... the other day around 2:15AM - 2:30AM my SB6120 went into ranging requests for a bit and finally came back up with a higher signal reading and my 64QAM upstream was back to doing 16QAM ... makes me wonder.

Also, still waiting for news about newer 24x8 channel bonding units so I can actually upgrade and skip over current 8x4, an estimated forecast of when they might be available possibly would be really nice right about now. We've been in a holding pattern for more than six months on this now.
hightech
join:2011-01-03

hightech to Neocodex

to Neocodex
Please post your signal levels. They can be found by going to »192.168.100.1 and clicking on the signal or diagnostics tab. Please post the upstream and the downstream numbers so that we can see what levels you are at.

Also, are you in the Rogers area or Cogeco?
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to Neocodex

to Neocodex
Like everyone else says, what you're describing is 90% of the time wiring, network etc. Not the modem. Motorolla has a great track record for reliability. My 5101 worked flawlessly for 14 years before I retired it.

If it's the wiring, a new modem won't help and could even be less robust than the one you got, causing more problems.

As well, you're trending. At exactly 11 you're going down? That's a pretty on stop coincidence.

anon33
@162.219.179.x

anon33

Anon

Make sure the cable line is screwed tightly at wall, and on the modem. Make sure modem is sitting on a flat surface so that it isn't moving