join:2004-07-08
united state

2 recommendations

Woody79_00

Premium Member

New Mac OS X botnet discovered

»news.drweb.com/show/?i=5 ··· 6&lng=en
quote:
In September 2014, Doctor Web's security experts researched several new threats to Mac OS X. One of them turned out to be a complex multi-purpose backdoor that entered the virus database as Mac.BackDoor.iWorm. Criminals can issue commands that get this program to carry out a wide range of instructions on the infected machines. A statistical analysis indicates that there are more than 17,000 unique IP addresses associated with infected Macs.
I knew this day was coming when these OS's get more popular..I just wonder how long it will be before smartphones and tablets follow suit.

WillRegSoon
@74.89.66.x

WillRegSoon

Anon

"Doctor Web has received state certificates and awards; our satisfied customers spanning the globe are clear evidence of the high quality of the products created by our talented Russian programmers."

Hmm...
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

1 recommendation

daveinpoway to Woody79_00

Premium Member

to Woody79_00
Also discussed here: »[OS X] New OS X backdoor malware roping Macs into botnet

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to WillRegSoon

to WillRegSoon
> our talented Russian programmers

And we're to it to mean just what?
That Russian programmers aren't talented?

What if it read:
quote:
"Doctor Web has received state certificates and awards; our satisfied customers spanning the globe are clear evidence of the high quality of the products created by our talented American programmers."

Suppose "American" is the "right" answer, yes?

Is Kaspersky OK?
Agnitum? AhnLab? Avast? AVG? Avira? Bitdefender? BullGuard (Damn Brits!)? ... Do we need to go on?
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to Woody79_00

to Woody79_00
If you mean bot net specifically probably a while. Tablets esp are not always online devices. Even when hooked up to a wifi people tend to monitor bandwidth usage more than say their laptop. It is very easy to see data usage on most tablets. Between tablets and cell phones though tablets will see them first though i suspect because well most are hooked up to wifi and even though readily available people don't track the bandwidth as much. Do to limited data allotments on cells via 4g and 3g people do track usage more. Meaning a rouge app will be a little more likely to be spotted so cell phones will be botnet free for a fair bit longer than tablets.

Linux is a prime target do to vulnerabilities and long up times and lack of monitoring by its users. Many linux boxes might go unchecked and outright forgotten for a year or years at a time.

I know with my smoothwall firewall box i rarely checked it in it's 5 years of service. I replaced a faulty stick of ram and cleaned it out a few times over those 5 years but as for updating and keeping a eye on it not so much. I mostly logged in to a web gui to configure things or modded files on my computer and sshed in to change settings.