spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Newfie
join:2001-05-08
Toronto, ON

Newfie

[Internet] Be careful people who signed up for the $45 internet plan

So. Who here was sucker enough to sign up again with Rogers? I can't be the only one. In their little flyer they offered $45/mo 30/3 with a 300gb usage cap with 8 years rate protection. Of course, when it's time to increase the prices apparently the 8 year rate protection isn't actually a part of this promotion (as promised, by both the flyer and agent). Anyone else who got this promotion check your bill carefully!
CrankyGuy
join:2014-10-03
Toronto, ON

CrankyGuy

I signed up for this plan ca 6 months ago & it does feel like bait & switch after I discovered the price increase on the most recent statement.

Does the flyer actually include a reference to 8 year rate protection? I haven't found mine yet to check. I've been in contact with Rogers & that only applies to the 200 GB plan.

Annoyingly:
- I haven't even had the use of this new plan for a full year yet
- Rogers buried the rate increase notice on the last page of the July statement.
- they claimed to keep it as low as possible... hrmm... 6.6% is more than 3 x inflation rate (eg. 2.11% Aug 2014 - Aug 2013)

Breadwinka
join:2008-06-08
Kitchener, ON

Breadwinka

said by CrankyGuy:

Does the flyer actually include a reference to 8 year rate protection? I haven't found mine yet to check. I've been in contact with Rogers & that only applies to the 200 GB plan.

Thats exactly right, sadly a lot of reps were confused about both offers, and told a lot of people that the 300gb one was locked in for 8 years when it wasnt.
imtiax
Premium Member
join:2014-05-24
Toronto, ON

imtiax to Newfie

Premium Member

to Newfie
A friend of mine locked into the 8 year deal 4 months ago and tried to cancel and was told he'd have to pay $20 a month for every remaining month.

So 12*7years+8 months = 92 months remaining in his 8 years.

92 * $20 = $1840

Ridiculous
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

Sunfox

said by imtiax:

A friend of mine locked into the 8 year deal 4 months ago and tried to cancel and was told he'd have to pay $20 a month for every remaining month.

So 12*7years+8 months = 92 months remaining in his 8 years.

92 * $20 = $1840

Ridiculous

What? That doesn't make any sense. If the price isn't locked in for 8 years, then his contract certainly isn't 8 years either.

Pretty sure these deals were advertised as no contract, but even if he is on one, it's probably more like 1 year. Also, I seem to recall that every time Rogers makes a material change to service, such as increasing prices, they open themselves up to early contract cancellations WITHOUT penalty to you (check their TOS for "remedy").

Because... I think certain government agencies would have something to say about Rogers locking you into a contract where Rogers can do whatever they want at any time, such as cutting your service level in half, raising your prices 1,000%, demanding you only connect to the internet while hopping on one foot... and you cannot in any way get out of that contract after such changes without paying extortion money.
delius
join:2006-07-30
Dorchester, ON

delius

W45 plan. Mine went up 3 dlrs. Called to complain. Agent took off 15 dlrs on going. Bill now 38 dlrs??? Far as I know. Rogers has no contracts for Internet. Cancel with 30 day notice no fees

Breadwinka
join:2008-06-08
Kitchener, ON

Breadwinka

you had the w45 plan with 200gb thats the one locked in for 8 years price should not change, WAHS which is the 300gb extreme has no price lock.
imtiax
Premium Member
join:2014-05-24
Toronto, ON

imtiax to Sunfox

Premium Member

to Sunfox
Ok I just informed my friend of what you said and he called Rogers and had no issues getting it cancelled.

The CSR he talked to the other day was very wrong and gave him wrong information.
Sunfox
join:2003-12-14
Stouffville

Sunfox

Glad to hear it worked out for your friend!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to imtiax

Premium Member

to imtiax
said by imtiax:

Ok I just informed my friend of what you said and he called Rogers and had no issues getting it cancelled.

The CSR he talked to the other day was very wrong and gave him wrong information.

The problem with that is that people won't realize they're being taken and may pay to get out.

There is no "company line" they just make up stuff as they go along.