In Memory of Guinness 03-30-07
Premium Member
join:2002-06-12
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

[WIN8] Need help trouble shooting a printing issue

Hi guys,

My folks have a laptop that is having some hiccups with printing and I am looking for help in troubleshooting the problem because I am stumped at what to look for and where to look.

Problem: When attempting to print from some web pages, document gets sent to the print spooler, and while looking at the spooler you see the job there and it says "Spooling" but then just disappears from the print Q and never prints.

Details: This problem does not always happen, and I do not see any patterns such as any certain websites, or images, what ever. The same web pages that don't print from this laptop have no problems printing from any other laptop or device on the same network to the same printer.
When in the browser (Chrome) if you click on the hotdog then click Print, the print preview will come up and the document looks just fine. The correct printer is selected in the box and the Print button is clicked. With the print spooler opened, I can see the print job show up the spooler (or queue) and it says "Spooling...". After a few second, **POOF** is just disappears. The printer never sees the job, no errors thrown to the screen. I didn't think at the time to have a look in the OS event logs however, with no error being throw, I wouldn't really think that anything would wind up there.

Harware ~

Computer: HP Laptop (unsure what model but that should not matter).
Printer: Bother MFC-475DW

Software ~
OS: Window 8.1 64-bit - I believe it's 64 but since I don't have the laptop in front of me not sure, but this too should not matter..
Driver: Latest Brother Driver for this printer from Brothers site.
Browser: Google Chrome (Latest Version)

So this is where I am at. I don't know where to look or what to look for. I just am stuck. You guys think you can help? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

John

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

While I don't have an idea on how to solve your issue, I do have a few questions that, once answered, may help others resolve this for you.

What is the communication between the laptop and the printer? Along the same lines, how are other devices on your network connecting to the same printer? Is it all wireless, wired, a mix?

How is the printer connected to your network? Is hardwired to a device (USB, or IEEE Printer cable), fully wireless, or does it have some kind of network card in it and connected via a network cable?

If wireless is at all in the picture, my first step would be to verify (if possible) that the laptop can print to the printer with a direct connection (wire, or USB). If that works, then the issue could be related in some fashion to the wireless side of things, maybe a permissions issue.

Again, just some guesses on my part, as I'm not a wireless expect by any means. But, hopefully my questions and ideas may help others help you.

--Brian

phreekd
Premium Member
join:2003-06-10
Parkville, MD

phreekd to rescue85

Premium Member

to rescue85
Try it from IE and I bet it works. Chrome print issues seem to have re-awakened.

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85 to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
Hey Brian. To answer your questions, everything is connected via WIFI. and they are all on the same network. Neither is hardwired. The printer and the laptop both connect to a WIFI router.

This can not be any kind of a permissions issue as most things do print, and the problem seems to be random.

What phreekd See Profile mentioned seems to make a lot of sense. If I try to print via IE, he thinks that things may more then likely print, and as of right now, I have not been able to test this. I have to grab the laptop later to test this theory. If this is a problem with Chrome, I do not expect this to be fixed any time soon as I have never had a problem that I have tried to escalate to Google that ever gets fixed.

That all being said. I will test again later and let you guys know what I come up with.

Thanks!

John

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

After reading what you had posted, I do agree that if it was some kind of permissions issues, nothing would print at all. Knowing that it prints some of the times, and not all, would lead me to believe that it is something else.

Trying a different browser, as phreekd See Profile suggested is a good test.

Another set of tests would be printing from other applications (notepad, word, excel, adobe reader, etc), as well as doing a test print from the printer in control panel.

If those all print without any issues (no random items not printing), then that would fully rule out permissions, and point it to an application issue (in this case, Chrome).

So when you get a hold of the laptop later to test things from IE, if you have a little more time, see if you can run some test prints from other applications and see how that goes.

--Brian
iowaboy
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA

iowaboy

Premium Member

I had a problem like that with the wife's laptop. What I ended up doing, which did fix the problem, was to uninstall the printer and then went back and added it back. Then she could send the web pages to her printer and they would print without spooling and disappearing.

rescue85
Premium Member
Eatontown, NJ

rescue85

Premium Member

Hey guys,

I haven't had a chance to try the ideas you guys have given me, but I think you guys have definitely given me some good ideas. I have in the past has to reinstall the print drivers for other reasons so, I would hope that this wouldn't be an issue but one never knows. As soon as I can get the laptop to test, I will update this thread.

Thanks guys!