spc
Search similar:

uniqs

OverrRyde
join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

help with overseeding grass!

Hey guys, anyone here with experience on back yards? Planning on overseeing this afternoon (if it doesn't rain!) but I have a question to which I can't find the answer.

We already have grass on the property that we grew this summer but some areas didn't grow. Now what I read online is: mow short, rake, rototill and spread. Question is, do I need to lay down soil on top of the existing grass or just the patches that didn't grow from before? Or soil at all?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks!

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

it really depends on the type of seed you buy...if you buy the plain seeds (the least expensive), they require the most work to get growing...if you buy some of the newer blends (coated seats, mixed with other ingredients, etc), you likely just spread and leave it (but it does cost quite a bit more).
resare
join:2012-11-07
Greenfield Park, QC

resare to OverrRyde

to OverrRyde
It never hurts to add topsoil. I would skip the tiller part, mow short, add topsoil (or peat moss) and overseed

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

it really depends on the type of seed you buy...if you buy the plain seeds (the least expensive), they require the most work to get growing...if you buy some of the newer blends (coated seats, mixed with other ingredients, etc), you likely just spread and leave it (but it does cost quite a bit more).

We have the Scott's turf builder mix for overseeding, its not coating but does have feed mixed into it. My only concern with top soiling all over was if it would damage the existing grass, which other than the bare spots has grown nicely, hence the tiller.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i've never seen anyone till their lawn...spread seed and rake some top soil in, yes...but that's it.
resare
Greenfield Park, QC

resare to OverrRyde

to OverrRyde
The existing grass will LOVE the added topsoil. Just rake it in delicately and overseed. If your seed has feed also, great, i'll grow even faster.

g121
play lordsgame com | Phone Cops are real
join:2004-05-28
Toronto
Hitron CODA-4680
Asus RT-AC86
Grandstream HT812

g121 to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

i've never seen anyone till their lawn...spread seed and rake some top soil in, yes...but that's it.

+1

cheers from Toronto ..

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

We had an area that was brown b/c it was infested with grubs; the skunks were tearing it up overnight. Generally I don't care what grows on the lawn as long as it's green, but the torn up brown patch was really ugly, and the skunks weren't welcome either.

Since we can't use chemicals any more, I roto-tilled the affected area and we were able to pick the grubs out by hand. We were throwing the grubs onto an inverted garbage can lid and bees came to suck them dry - gross!

In any case, once it was all turned over, and the big clumps raked out, we re-seeded it and the problem didn't re-occur.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to OverrRyde

Premium Member

to OverrRyde
Rake and seed.
By rake I mean a metal tine garden rake, not a leaf rake.

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

Thanks for the help! Ended up not tilling as suggested and got a couple of bags of top soil.

Fingers crossed now, the battle is just beggining, next year weed and feed is going in hopefully killing those nasty leaves!

Thanks again!
resare
Greenfield Park, QC

1 recommendation

resare to OverrRyde

to OverrRyde
Mow high, feed the lawn (leave the clippings, feed if u want) a thick healthy lawn is the best protection against weeds

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to OverrRyde

Premium Member

to OverrRyde
i don't think you can buy weed and feed in ON any longer.

OverrRyde
Waterdown, ON

OverrRyde

said by dirtyjeffer0:

oh! damn, never thought of actually looking for the product! And you're right, i don't see it on homedepot.ca

why is that? bad for the environment i guess? What alternative is there to weed and feed? I don't mind eco/green options as long as they work!

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

You can but it is not like the old stuff. It uses corn in it now.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to OverrRyde

to OverrRyde
For soiling over top, you only need a sprinkling of soil. You aren't starting a garden bed on top. Think of tossing handfuls around, that's it. Just enough to feed the new seed and give it roots. Also, as others have stated the more expensive seed requires the least amount of prep work and maintenance.

Skip the roto tiller too, short cut, soil and toss the seed.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

1 edit

koira to OverrRyde

Premium Member

to OverrRyde
all these tips plus air and soil temperature and moisture are critical factors for germination. you need about 15 to 20 degrees over several weeks for them to germinate. its getting a bit late now but fall is a good time of year to do it. some seeds will start , others will lay dormant til spring.

Edit» here is a link to advice for fall maintenance »www.scotts.com/smg/goART ··· omePage4

lugnut
@216.154.95.x

lugnut to OverrRyde

Anon

to OverrRyde
I overseeded in the spring with this stuff three years ago. I never water my lawn and it hasn't gone brown in the summer since. The lawn grubs don't seem to like the taste of this stuff either.

Wait til spring and do your overseeding next April.

»homehardware.ca/en/rec/i ··· ass+seed

dutox101
join:2010-01-02

dutox101

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing lugnut.

Would you mind posting some pictures of your lawn ?

How often do you need to mow, would twice a year be enough if I like it longer than most peoples ?

Thank you.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

You can't buy it anywhere in Canada.

lugnut
@216.154.95.x

lugnut to dutox101

Anon

to dutox101
Click for full size
Drought Tolerant Lawn
Dutox >>> I pretty much have to mow anywhere between once a week and once every ten days depending on how wet the weather has been.

Mow it twice a year and you'll have a farmer's hay field on your hands.

I snapped a quick pic just now but it hasn't been mowed in two weeks. I plan for one more cut before I put away the lawnmower for the season.

As for the weeds, like everyone else in Canada I've pretty much just given up on trying to control them anymore.

Anyway, the lawn stays that green all summer long come rain or drought or whatever without so much as a single drop from the hose.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

You can't buy it anywhere in Canada.

i was pretty sure from other conversations we've had before you had mentioned something like that (but couldn't remember specifics).

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah weed and feed is a federal ban.