spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JeffinKenner
@72.200.24.x

JeffinKenner

Anon

[LA] High end routers and Cox

Why do they offer AC routers that support 450mbps wireless when most people's connections are no more than 150 mbps wired? I have 4 gig wired ports but it's just for personal satisfaction at the moment. That's like having a 380 hp HEMI but the speed limit is 60-75.
Azlen
join:2010-05-03
Peoria, AZ

1 recommendation

Azlen

Those are theoretical speeds and in real life don't get close to those speeds but a higher end router still should get better speeds than a lower end router. Also not everything streamed over Wifi is coming from the internet. Some people stream from home media servers and the like.
Needleinthha
join:2009-11-30
Chandler, AZ

1 recommendation

Needleinthha to JeffinKenner

to JeffinKenner
What the previous poster said, local network speeds, + no one actually gets 450mbps but one more reason: future proofing: gigabit speeds should be offered by cox in some place by the end of the year and everywhere by 2016, supposedly.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

1 recommendation

Hard Harry7 to JeffinKenner

to JeffinKenner
said by JeffinKenner :

Why do they offer AC routers that support 450mbps wireless

Do you mean gateways? If your worried about throughput or high end wireless then your better off looking into a router with stand alone modem IMO.

H2OuUp2
Happy to be here
Premium Member
join:2002-03-15
Oklahoma City, OK

1 recommendation

H2OuUp2 to JeffinKenner

Premium Member

to JeffinKenner
I replaced my router (Linksys #2500) with a Nigh Hawk R7000.

My WiFi speeds in my sons bedroom went from 30/10 to 181/29 (best test)

My wired connection went from 93/25 to 188/32. Of course I was having router problems , but still...

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1 to JeffinKenner

to JeffinKenner
I myself shop the higher speeds because for me at least internal LAN speeds are more important than my Internet speed. Also there is a degree of future proofing that takes place with these designs. 802.11ac is actually 433Mbps per stream, many of the newer routers support up to 3 stream connections for a total throughput of 1300Mbps. Note however as of yet the best wifi cards are only 2x2 for an effective phy link limit of 866Mbps.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

There a few PCI adapters out there keeping up. Here is a 3x3

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 33320173

kv2009
join:2009-09-14
Kenner, LA
·Cox HSI

kv2009 to CoxTech1

to CoxTech1
said by CoxTech1:

I myself shop the higher speeds because for me at least internal LAN speeds are more important than my Internet speed. Also there is a degree of future proofing that takes place with these designs. 802.11ac is actually 433Mbps per stream, many of the newer routers support up to 3 stream connections for a total throughput of 1300Mbps. Note however as of yet the best wifi cards are only 2x2 for an effective phy link limit of 866Mbps.

This. High LAN throughput is very important - especially if you stream HD video in the LAN. And I stream a ton of HD video to multiple devices...it's very useful to have a fast router. I have the Netgear R7000 and it's been flawless for me.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

For what it's worth I got an R8000. Has a nice feature set but I'm not convinced yet that there aren't bugs to be worked out still. Also had significant driver issues with the 2x2 adapters I was trying to install in my laptop. I finally figured out what was going on there at least.
Expand your moderator at work