uniqs
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz to frankpf3

to frankpf3

Re: Quantum Gateway Router

said by frankpf3:

So what's the answer guys, yea or ney to the SSID being the same?

It's up to you. Really, it is. There's no right or wrong choice (I know others will disagree). It's all about what you prefer and what use you have for either.
Do you want your devices to choose what band its on or do you want to make the choice for them? That's the biggest question you have to ask.
compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA

compuguy to bluepoint

to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

said by compuguy:

I agree with A and B, but I have had situations with separate ssid's that the device stays on the 5ghz band in poor signal situations where it should hand off to the 2.4 band.

In a dual band wireless network avoid using both bands at the same time, it'll only cause confusion and problem. If these were two physically separated wireless in different floors then yes roaming is okay to use. In this situation where they're in the same hardware it's advisable for clients that are not mobile and always in range of 5GHz use the 5GHz band since it's the cleaner frequency and faster to use and for clients the goes out of range of 5G(mobile phones) use 2.4GHz. If possible just forget 2.4G band if all your clients are 5G capable, it's faster. Use 2.4 for printers and clients that doesn't need speed.

To my knowledge (and I've verified this), my devices are latching on to the 5ghz band automatically as long as you choose a channel that your device supports (some nexus devices don't like a certain range of bands). For the record, I have two ap's running the same ssid on different channels on each band for each device.
compuguy

compuguy to Myzteziz

to Myzteziz
said by Myzteziz:

said by bluepoint:

For the same SSID with the Q gateway, you are almost guaranteed of always connecting to 2.4GHz.

Depends on the device settings. My laptop and amazon fire tv always connect to 5 ghz unless the signal drops so low which wont happen because of where I have it.

Using the same ssid or different is up to the user, the devices they are using, the amount of devices, etc..
For me using the same works best and isn't going to cause confusion. One just has to do what they prefer.

Exactly!

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3 to Nels

to Nels
Here's my setup. I live in a 2 floor house:

Top Floor: Quantnum Gateway Router with ethernet cable connected to WAN port on Apple Airport Extreme (6th Generation - Latest). Wifi is on for both QGR and APE. This is because the QGR does not work or support with something acting like a wireless extender. I have different channels set up for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands to prevent interference.

Bottom Floor: Apple Airport Extreme (5th Generation) acting as a wireless extender to the upstairs APE.

So, I'm willing to listen to opinions here..........Same SSID for the above setup or different ones for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I know with above setup I have to keep the SSID's in lock step between all 3 routers for this to work.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

There's no point in running the wireless on the FiOS router if it's right next to the AirPort Extreme (which hopefully is in bridge mode). Is there a reason you want to use both?

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3

I have to. Otherwise I have no way of getting a Wifi signal to the APE downstairs. The QGR will not work with wireless extenders.

Yes both of the APE's are set to bridge mode.

I was hoping just to have QGR upstairs, and one APE downstairs, in bridge mode, but the QGR won't work with a router acting as a wireless extender.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I didn't ask why the AirPort Extreme was there; I was asking why you still had the WiFi on the Actiontech turned on even if the Extreme is right next to it. There's no reason to have both, as far as I can tell.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3

Yes, I guess I could turn it off on the QGR. Although then I feel like I'm not getting my money's worth!

It sucks in the fact that the QGR won't work with other routers acting as extenders. Not sure why Verizon wouldn't allow this?

Is there any benefit to keep it on in that type of setup?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Thinkdiff

MVM,

If the router doesn't work as you planned, maybe it'd be better to return it?

There's a chance putting two wireless router right next to each other could make your reception worse, even if they're on different channels, as the client devices may switch between them unnecessarily if they have the same SSIDs. You could name the APEs and Actiontech networks differently and divvy up devices between the networks, but it also clogs up another wireless channel, which isn't too nice if you have immediate neighbors.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3

Sounds like my best bet would be to turn off the Wifi on the QGR.
compuguy
join:2003-05-26
Burke, VA

compuguy to Thinkdiff

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

If the router doesn't work as you planned, maybe it'd be better to return it?

There's a chance putting two wireless router right next to each other could make your reception worse, even if they're on different channels, as the client devices may switch between them unnecessarily if they have the same SSIDs. You could name the APEs and Actiontech networks differently and divvy up devices between the networks, but it also clogs up another wireless channel, which isn't too nice if you have immediate neighbors.

Other option is to have to AP/router but disable the 2.4 ghz band on the other AP, because 5 ghz doesn't permeate very well through walls (worse when they are concrete).

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to frankpf3

MVM

to frankpf3
said by frankpf3:

Sounds like my best bet would be to turn off the Wifi on the QGR.

At least. Late to the party here but I'm not sure why you need the new VZ router? Your Apple routers are far superior on the Wi-Fi. What was wrong with your previous VZ router?

wilitos
@137.254.4.x

wilitos to frankpf3

Anon

to frankpf3
I got the QGR last week and so far is working flawlessly. 50/50 plan.
-I've set up 2 SSIDs for what we have. 3 story town home and the QGR is set up on the 2nd floor.
-macbookpro(wife's laptop) on 5ghz n band - she does mostly youtube/amazon prime/photos/email and shoponline.
-macbookpor(grandma's laptop) on 2.4ghz n band - she does mostly email/browse the internet and read. Sometimes in her bedroom up on the 3rd floor.
-ipad2(all of us) 2.4 GHz n band is what it can get only same for the iphone4, iphone5 and 5s on 5ghz and 2.4ghz can toggle back and forth if range is an issue.
-2toshibas laptops on 2.4ghz is all they can get on b band(old ones but still working).
-Connected to the router I have a 10/100 8-port work-group switch for my work laptop, ps4, and my yamaha receiver in lower level.

No issues so far and everyone is happy! No more Buffering....messages.
wilitos
join:2014-11-11
Reston, VA

wilitos

just registered.
SCOOTDOODLER
join:2014-11-06
USA

SCOOTDOODLER to Nels

to Nels
Click for full size
G1100
Just got my new G1100 router today!
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz to wilitos

to wilitos
said by wilitos :

No more Buffering....messages.

I noticed the same since I got it. I would always see issues streaming with the rev. i. Not a one so far with the gateway.

Qrps23
@108.28.109.x

Qrps23

Anon

Finally I no longer have to piggyback off of the Verizon router. This new Quantum gateway is much better! Thanks Verizon it's about time you put out a decent router!
radyoactive
join:2014-03-07

radyoactive

Has anyone tried using Verizon's network extender with the new QGR?

»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· yDetails
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

The network extender connects to the router the same way the STBs do, using MoCA. There should definitely be no compatibly issues between the Quantum Gateway and the Network Extender.
tcwatkins
join:2005-04-28
Silver Spring, MD

tcwatkins to Myzteziz

to Myzteziz
Wow. Mine was slow and then I reset it using the reset button and the speeds are now as fast as hoped. If yours is installed and it seems slow, push the reset!
pommard
join:2002-01-05
Scarsdale, NY
Greenwave FiOS-G1100

pommard to arjun90

to arjun90
said by arjun90:

In the FiOS Quantum Gateway Router, how do you go ahead in manually releasing and renewing the IP from Verizon? There is no Manual setting in sight.

»myfiosgateway.com/#/netw ··· s/1/edit

to get there Login to the router
Click on MY NETWORK >Network Connections >Broadband Connection Then Settings. Towards the bottom of settings is a release and renew button.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to gadgetboyj

to gadgetboyj
I think the network extenders are MoCA 1.1 so they'll not be able to support the faster MoCA 2.0 700Mbps speed the new QGR puts out, however.
Lefky
join:2003-08-01
united state

Lefky to Nels

to Nels
Since I installed the Quantum Gateway Router my VPN to work has become unstable. Several times an hour I am disconnected and then automatically reconnected approx. 1 minute later. I checked my system to ensure I have the latest network drivers. I have notified the IT folks at my work but I have no idea what has the issue, My system, The VPN configuration or the router. I do know that while on VPN, all my traffic is tunneled through work and when not on VPN the router's internet connection seems fine. Has anybody else seen this issue or has an idea on how to fix? Thanks
wilitos
join:2014-11-11
Reston, VA
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
TP-Link Archer C9

wilitos

for my work, I'm connected via VPN using the cisco anyconnect secure mobility client and have not had any issues with it. The only thing I've complained about to my IT team is the speed. It seems that they downgrade it...but work things I have to do is fine. I'm only getting like 20mbs down and maybe 5-10mbs up. Then when I log off VPN I get 50/50+.
Lefky
join:2003-08-01
united state

Lefky

I am not using any 3rd party software to connect, My VPN is set up using Windows 8.1 built in networking tools. Thanks
rhdcheme
join:2006-11-18
Lorton, VA

rhdcheme to Nels

to Nels
Looks like the firmware upgraded automatically to 0.17.52 within the past couple of days. It would be nice to see a changelog in case something goes bad.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3

Scares me a bit that the firmware is not 1.0 yet.
frankpf3

frankpf3 to Nels

to Nels
Anyone having issues with the new router and the Quantum STB's? I have 2 clients that started to lose the connection with the VMS. Wasn't doing this with the actiontec.
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

Not seeing that issue, but posted in another thread that I'm seeing an issue where if I am watching a recorded show about 1/4 in if I try to fast fwd. or skip ahead or do anything at any point it won't let me. I have to wait a minute or 2 before I can. Other times it works fine. Only started this when I switched routers out so I'm wondering if it has something to do with it.

fiosfan
@71.252.170.x

fiosfan to ntgreat

Anon

to ntgreat
I live in the same city as you near dallas. I placed an order today, it is available for 149.99. Hopefully this will solve the range issues i had with the actiontec.