spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ronyschak
join:2014-11-26

ronyschak to poppagene

to poppagene

Re: Quantum Gateway Router

has anyone connected the new Quantum router as a secondary router yet? I connect my current antiontec rev I ( wireless off ) to my asus rt-ac68u lan to lan ( to keep vod and menus ) and run all of my intenet service from the asus.
I will want to do the same with the new quantum router and my new HD boxes.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

2 edits

Myzteziz to poppagene

to poppagene
said by poppagene:

said by Myzteziz:

If you don't own the old router there should have been a return shipping label included in the box when you received the new router. You would have just put the old router in the same box, put the label on it and shipped it back out. I would contact them and let them know you didn't receive a return label.

If I received the router for free with the FiOS installation, do I "own" the router or does it need to go back to Verizon when I install the Quantum Router? The packing list had a return label for return service with an RMA # but no further instructions.

Verizon for some reason never gives return instructions. All they ever say is return the old one within 30 days or get charged for it. They just expect you to see the return label and for you to figure it out yourself. I'm sure they are hoping people can't figure it out and don't return it so they can charge people.
You are supposed to return the old router in the same box (remove the serial number sticker on the router box then put the old one in it) slap the label on the big box it came in and mail it off.....and of course keep records of it.

If you aren't seeing a $6.99 monthly router fee then you must be grandfathered into the old plans where there are no rental fees or have a promotion. Every new customer as of last March I believe are now being charged rental fees for the routers. Even most people upgrading routers are seeing the router rental fees.
Even if they gave it to you if you didn't actually purchase it for $149.99 then you don't own it and you will have to give it back to them if you ever get rid of fios.
GreyWhyte
join:2009-06-03
Laurel, MD

GreyWhyte to poppagene

to poppagene
I posted a similar question 2 days ago in the Verizon Direct forum and was told I did not need to return the router provided during initial install. It is considered leased with no charge. However, I recommend you ask for yourself to be 100% certain.
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

1 edit

Myzteziz

said by GreyWhyte:

I posted a similar question 2 days ago in the Verizon Direct forum and was told I did not need to return the router provided during initial install. It is considered leased with no charge. However, I'd recommend you ask for yourself to be 100% certain.

That only applies to very old routers that they don't want back. A leased Rev. i (or current gateway) would need to go back regardless of what they say. I'd be cautious even with old routers though because last year they still wanted my Westell router back even though its so old.
GreyWhyte
join:2009-06-03
Laurel, MD

GreyWhyte

My install was back in May 2012 so, your statement Myzteziz about grandfathering and promotion may be applicable for my situation. They did not do rental fees then and the promotion waived the router cost for install (lease w/o charge). Either way, I'm keeping an eye on my bill...
poppagene
join:2001-11-21
Bethesda, MD

poppagene to Myzteziz

to Myzteziz
said by Myzteziz:

That only applies to very old routers that they don't want back. A leased Rev. i (or current gateway) would need to go back regardless of what they say. I'd be cautious even with old routers though because last year they still wanted my Westell router back even though its so old.

Customer service said to return the I revision Actiontec so I will. So far the improvement in wireless performance is well worth the price of admission.
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

I agree. I don't have need for a complex set up so the gateway is perfect for me. The dual band sure comes in handy with the 5 ghz as every one and their mother in my neighborhood is on the 2.4 ghz band. Only a local Bright House hot spot is using 5 ghz around me right now so I hardly have any interference on 5 ghz.
Getting full wifi speeds is great.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3 to Nels

to Nels
Surprise. Surprise. Guess what's on my bill this month?

The Returned Router.................
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

said by frankpf3:

Surprise. Surprise. Guess what's on my bill this month?

The Returned Router.................

I'm dreading this myself. I always return my equipment to a store and haven't had an issue before, but returning to a store doesn't mean anything different.
I guess I'll see on my next bill.
TGSJUDITH44
join:2014-12-05
Justin, TX

TGSJUDITH44 to Nels

to Nels
I just recieved my G1100 a few days ago, and I have mixed feelings. I am a gamer and I really am confused why this router didn't include a dmz to have open nat for PS4 and XBOX one. I don't know if I should port trigger or port forward at this point. I am seeing open ports on XBOX ONE but it will sometimes switch to moderate or strict. I wonder if they will eventually add DMZ into settings? I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me on setting the G1100 up for gaming. Thanks.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3

Return the router. Go back to the actiontec and hang a much more modern, well equipped router off of that.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to TGSJUDITH44

Premium Member

to TGSJUDITH44
The G1100 has a good feature set for the majority of FiOS subscribers--basic consumers...but it doesn't have the advanced features that the group of more network focused folks desire.
malletto
join:2009-01-03
Purcellville, VA

malletto to TGSJUDITH44

to TGSJUDITH44
I've never put any console in the DMZ on my routers and have never had any problems. I imagine this wouldn't be any different.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Same here. PS3 runs smooth as silk.
chewypgh
join:2007-12-17
Pittsburgh, PA

chewypgh to Nels

to Nels
Click for full size

I logged into My Verizon and there is a special price of $99.99 for the Quantum Gateway Router until January 17th.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

Seeing the same thing on both of my accounts as well.
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

Bytezboy to Nels

to Nels
Does this have built-in VPN?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by Bytezboy:

Does this have built-in VPN?

No.

Anonnjjs
@71.187.173.x

Anonnjjs to Nels

Anon

to Nels
For those who have upgraded to the G1100, what do you think of the range compared to the Rev. I? We mostly have n devices in the house, so wondering if it's worth the the trouble of upgrading. We just got FIOS in Aug., so I was renting in anticipation of a new router being released. Now that it's out, trying to decide if I should just buy the Rev. I and save a few bucks over 2 years of the rental cost or upgrade now that it's just $20 more. Thanks for the help!

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3 to Nels

to Nels
Guys, the router sucks. I returned it. No difference in Wifi range from the Rev I, no DMZ option, and it was causing my Quantnum VMS clients to stutter and fragment. Seems like it wasn't tested well with the VMS setup....but what else is new.

Big deal it's an AC router. The technology has been out now for over a year.

Don't bother.

Buy yourself an Apple Aiport Extreme.

It's probably $99 because people are slow to adopt it.
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz to Anonnjjs

to Anonnjjs
said by Anonnjjs :

For those who have upgraded to the G1100, what do you think of the range compared to the Rev. I? We mostly have n devices in the house, so wondering if it's worth the the trouble of upgrading. We just got FIOS in Aug., so I was renting in anticipation of a new router being released. Now that it's out, trying to decide if I should just buy the Rev. I and save a few bucks over 2 years of the rental cost or upgrade now that it's just $20 more. Thanks for the help!

The range is a lot better then the rev. i. I highly disagree with frankpf3. He just unfortunately had no luck with his. I can easily go out in my yard and still get plenty of signal even on 5 ghz. The rev. i would drop out on me. Range will always vary for obvious reasons for each person, but yes it is better.
It's a good router for those like me who doesn't need a complex setup with tons of options. Other then the Brighthouse Networks hotspot I am the only one on 5 ghz right now which is a major plus for me. I can get full speeds on wifi. If you only have n band devices then it might be better hold off upgrading until you get some ac/5 ghz ones. The range is better, but not to the point where it should be the only reason to upgrade to it.
It's been working great for me though. Used to have buffering issues with youtube and other streaming sites all of the time on the rev. i. Not a 1 on the gateway. I'm very happy with it.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3

DO you have the Quantum STB's?
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876 to Myzteziz

to Myzteziz
said by Myzteziz:

The range is a lot better then the rev. i. I highly disagree with frankpf3.

I agree 100% on both counts.

I have had my GS1100 for about a month now, replaced a Rev. I. The new GS1100 works great, on both frequency ranges (I don't have any devices that are AC capable but do have both N and G devices). And I do have Quantum TV boxes, not one single stutter that I have ever seen, no delays when viewing recordings, no reboots needed or occurring, etc., basically no problems with Quantum TV now except an occasional slow response to a button push on the remote and failure to recognize a button press (ie, enter 600 and get channel 54, the next lowest below 60). I have none of the other issues that some here report with Quantum TV, and none with the GS1100.

I don't understand why I have a different experience than others who post here; I have had Quantum TV since early April, yes it was a little ragged in the beginning, but overall now a very solid offering. I highly recommend the GS1100 and Quantum TV.
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz to frankpf3

to frankpf3
said by frankpf3:

DO you have the Quantum STB's?

Yes I have a VMS and a client.
Wag
join:2009-05-05
united state

Wag to Nels

to Nels
I have an old Rev. F router which I'm renting, (I don't have a Quantum STB). Would this be a good upgrade for me for $99?
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by Wag:

I have an old Rev. F router which I'm renting, (I don't have a Quantum STB). Would this be a good upgrade for me for $99?

Given that the payback will be 10 months (the router rental fee in the latest TOS is $10/month) and that this a much better router, yes, I think it would be a good deal.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Nels

Premium Member

to Nels
Or get a similar Actiontech on eBay for 10 bucks ...

»www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon ··· 4dd0ca2a
Wag
join:2009-05-05
united state

Wag

I don't want the same thing, I want something better. I have quite a few dual band N devices already, and god forbid if FIOS ever decides to upgrade us much faster than my current 75/75 I will end up throwing the Rev F router in the trash anyways.
blushrts
join:2001-01-06
New Cumberland, PA

blushrts to Nels

to Nels
Mine is about to go out the window. Constantly having both wired and wireless clients not able to see the internet. Pulling the power fixes it for a while. Not worth any money in my opinion, the wireless range is actually worse than the $50 Linksys I used to use for my wireless.

VzKid
@108.28.109.x

VzKid to TGSJUDITH44

Anon

to TGSJUDITH44
DMZ settings will be enabled in the 1.1 update including guest wifi.