uniqs
JackBauer
join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

JackBauer to VzKid

to VzKid

Re: Quantum Gateway Router

said by VzKid :

DMZ settings will be enabled in the 1.1 update including guest wifi.

And the timing for that is? (Thanks!)
RPeppe
join:2001-11-18
Falls Church, VA

RPeppe to frankpf3

to frankpf3
said by frankpf3:

and it was causing my Quantnum VMS clients to stutter and fragment

Same issue here- as soon as I installed the Quantum Router, I started getting continuous pauses and stuttering and breakups of the picture on the tv connected to my Cisco set top box. I thought at first I had an HDMI problem with my sound bar, but the problem went away as soon as I swapped back the old Actiontec. I am back to Actiontec as the router and just using the Quantum as an access point for the wifi. Had I know that, I would have just gotten a better AP.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3 to blushrts

to blushrts
Told you so.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

I wonder if it's a north east thing because no one I know in my area that has the gateway including myself has any of those issues.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to RPeppe

Premium Member

to RPeppe
Wireless weirdisms here, too. My son couldn't connect his Kindle yesterday until I power cycled the router. There also seem to be intermittent issues with wireless performance, so I'll be doing some performance tests.

Curt
@108.30.137.x

Curt to Anonnjjs

Anon

to Anonnjjs
Relative to Actiontech Rev. I the wireless performance of G1100 is definitely disappointing to me . Verizon advertising 300+ feet but I get barely acceptable performance 50 feet away (granted this is through a wall). I agree with other poster best option is to hang off modern router , but then what is the point of upgrade. At this point I would not recommend spending $99 to upgrade to G1100 unless more improvement in wireless performance. my 2 cents.
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

said by Curt :

Relative to Actiontech Rev. I the wireless performance of G1100 is definitely disappointing to me . Verizon advertising 300+ feet but I get barely acceptable performance 50 feet away (granted this is through a wall). I agree with other poster best option is to hang off modern router , but then what is the point of upgrade. At this point I would not recommend spending $99 to upgrade to G1100 unless more improvement in wireless performance. my 2 cents.

Interesting. I have no issues going out in my yard or street and still getting decent wifi on mine and I dont just have concrete block I have a tile roof which always messes with signals.
I had an issue with signal when I first got mine, but a hard reset fixed it. I would always loose signal outside with the rev. i.
Alphasite
join:2005-07-27
Plano, TX

1 recommendation

Alphasite to Nels

to Nels
I got one of the new routers yesterday and set it up today. I have the following issues:

1) I can't set the DNS servers to be used.
2) I can't set the IPv6 address on the router.
3) When IPv6 is enabled there doesn't appear to be a way to turn off IPv6 address distribution.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

2&3 , Verizon is IPV4 only
Alphasite
Plano, TX

1 recommendation

Alphasite to Nels

to Nels
said by guppy_fish:

2&3 , Verizon is IPV4 only

I know Verizon is IPv4-only but I've got IPv6 on my internal network so I'd first like the router to have a static IPv6 address on the internal network and second I'd like it not to try to hand out any IPv6 addresses to any systems on the internal network.
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876 to Alphasite

to Alphasite
said by Alphasite:

Easy: My Network ==> Network Connections ==> Broadband Connection ==> scroll down to Settings ==> scroll down to DNS Server section and make the settings. I changed mine within the first 10 minutes after installing my new Quantum Gateway router. Works fine.....

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

1 recommendation

guppy_fish to Alphasite

Premium Member

to Alphasite
An what routers have your found that handle IPV6 LAN with IPV4 WAN?
Alphasite
Plano, TX

Alphasite to justin9876

to justin9876
said by justin9876:

said by Alphasite:

Easy: My Network ==> Network Connections ==> Broadband Connection ==> scroll down to Settings ==> scroll down to DNS Server section and make the settings. I changed mine within the first 10 minutes after installing my new Quantum Gateway router. Works fine.....

Ah, I have the broadband disabled since I'm not using it for my WAN connection, just for MoCA 2.0 and 802.11ac. That's why I didn't find it under "Network (Home/Office)".
Alphasite

1 recommendation

Alphasite to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

An what routers have your found that handle IPV6 LAN with IPV4 WAN?

I don't care about the WAN being IPv4 since I'm not using the WAN connection. I got this router because I wanted a MoCA 2.0 bridge with 802.11ac so I'd be ready when MoCA 2.0 adapters are finally available and Verizon has it on sale.

But to answer your question, my ASA 5505 didn't have any problems with having IPv6 enabled on the internal but not external network. It obviously didn't route IPv6 LAN connections out the WAN. I had a Ubiquite EdgeRouter POE operating as an IPv6 tunnel from Hurricane Electric.. The IPv4 default gateway was the ASA and the IPv6 default gateway was the ERPOE. This worked just fine.

I eventually moved everything over to the ERPOE, but even then it only has IPv4 on the WAN and all IPv6 is tunneled.
Wag
join:2009-05-05
united state

3 edits

Wag to Nels

to Nels
Oh no. I just bought this thing and there's no way for me to enter the DNS info so I can use Netflix region switching services like Unblock-US.:( Anyone know how to do this? If not I'll have to return it.

Nevermind, I figured it out.:)
Wag

Wag to Nels

to Nels
Well, that was fast. Within a few hours of owning my new router the wired part of it broke. It refused to connect. I was able to access the configure page but that's it. Back it goes.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by Wag:

Well, that was fast. Within a few hours of owning my new router the wired part of it broke. It refused to connect. I was able to access the configure page but that's it. Back it goes.

Well, you're not making me feel good. Mine is suppose to arrive tomorrow.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3 to Curt

to Curt
Bingo. Exactly what I said above. The router is garbage.
frankpf3

frankpf3 to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
Make sure you save all documentation with the return. The charge WILL show up on your next bill.
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

Received my purchased Gateway today. Working just as good as the one I am/was renting. Would have been nice to been able to just buy the one I was already using, but the new one is working just as good. I do have to choose a manual channel for 5 ghz though. Automatic puts me on one where the range sucks.
Wag
join:2009-05-05
united state

Wag

I got it working again by doing a hard reset (reset button). I'm not sure if I'm going to want to keep it if I'm going to have to go through this every time this happens. I'm going to have to change the DNS info all over again.
swope1221
join:2008-08-26
Newtown, PA

swope1221 to Nels

to Nels
I just received my gateway today. There is a return label in the box, but I'm not sure what it's for? I only have the original Rev D from my install in 2008 and another Rev D I purchased from Ebay in 2009. Verizon.com doesn't not show me any messages/notifications that I need to return my Rev D. I posted a thread in the Direct forum just in case to see what they want.

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA

SYNACK to Nels

Mod

to Nels
If anyone has a kill-a-watt meter or similar, could you please measure the typical power use of the quantum router.

I know that it is rated 12V, 3A in the manual, but that does not always tell the actual consumption. It it would really use 30+ watts, that would be significantly more than the older models and would require significant thermal management to deal with the generated heat. Sure it is faster, but modern devices are also typically more efficient.

(In comparison, my old Rev. F router uses ~12W under typical use. It is rated 10V, 1.6A on the supply).
swope1221
Newtown, PA

swope1221 to Nels

to Nels
Ok, so I opened a thread in the direct forum about returning my old router (I have two old rev Ds, one from initial install (2008) and one I got from EBay (2009). The rep said don't bother returning. I replied so you have no record on my account of me having to return a router and I can disregard the return label. She stated that's correct.

I also checked on my verizon and there were no notification or messages indicating a return was needed.

I assume between the thread response and the website I'm good?
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by swope1221:

Ok, so I opened a thread in the direct forum about returning my old router (I have two old rev Ds, one from initial install (2008) and one I got from EBay (2009). The rep said don't bother returning. I replied so you have no record on my account of me having to return a router and I can disregard the return label. She stated that's correct.

I also checked on my verizon and there were no notification or messages indicating a return was needed.

I posed the same question to Verizon Direct, got the same response, and have not been charged.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

I made the old one into a bridge. So, I hope I don't hear anything.
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz to swope1221

to swope1221
said by swope1221:

If you see no messages yourself and they are showing no record of it on your account then you are good to go with keeping it.
If the router was needing to be returned the serial number would have shown on their end as needing to be returned.
I don't know why they aren't sending letters out with the new routers saying they don't want to old ones back anymore. They were doing it in the past. I received one with my old Rev. i upgrade when they came out saying they aren't taking back Westell routers anymore which I had and to just toss it.....of course when I cancelled service all together for a few months it was on my account as having to be returned so I'm glad I held onto it. Proving to them that they told me not to return it then finding a surprise charge on my final bill and dealing with billing would have been something I wouldn't have wanted to go through.
blushrts
join:2001-01-06
New Cumberland, PA

blushrts to frankpf3

to frankpf3
Yep, mine went back yesterday. Constant loss of wireless connection (only using one band), and wired devices are also losing connection to internet. Constantly power cycling the thing. Wireless performance when it was working wasn't that impressive either.
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

Interesting. Seems like the new router is like the vms/quantum. Some people have issues while others don't.
swope1221
Newtown, PA

1 edit

swope1221

Is there a way to tell if a wired device is connected at gigabit speeds on a wired connection? My Netgear has a gig port as well, and it connected as such on my old rev I. I used the same cable connecting to the new quantum gateway and only one green led is lit on the port. does that indicate it's not connecting at gigabit speeds?

edit: found it in the router page, says it is connected at 1000 full duplex, just fooled me because the rev i used to have both leds light up if it was a gig connection.