Search similar:

uniqs

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to Nels

to Nels

Re: Quantum Gateway Router

I confirmed that you must connect the router to the WAN port for a firmware upgrade.(*) I disconnected my home network and connected the router directly to FiOS and the routers did pull down an update. After the update the firmware reads as:

UI Version: 1.0.112
Firmware Version 0.17.48

The good news is that the router pulls the update down. Verizon does not 'push' the update to you. One of the routers did not pull the update down, however after selecting "reset defaults" it did pull down the update. There appears to be some internal timer for the update check I guess. Reseting defaults cleared the timer.

MoCA performance didn't change much after the firmware update.

As far as WiFi goes I can't really say too much. Preliminarily it looks like my Netgear R7000 has better coverage. I haven't done any speed tests. Unfortunately I can't compare WiFi performance directly to the Actiontec Rev Is without going through a lot of work.

The interface is very similar to the [maze like] Actiontec interface. If you're familiar with that you won't have a problem finding things. The manual posted here seems to cover it well.

(*) It's possible if you have a non-conflicting network range you might be able to connect the WAN port to your local network and get the update.)

miccheck123
@207.190.197.x

miccheck123

Anon

Could someone do long range wifi speed tests?

EX: Will you still get full speeds in your basement (when your router is two floors above). I know I get about half speed in basement (two floors down) currently, with my REV I (using Wireless N), will this allow me to have closer to full speeds in my basement?
AcePuppy
join:2014-10-15
Gainesville, VA

AcePuppy to Nels

to Nels
Just wanted to post and say if you do not see the option online to purchase the Quauntum Gateway Router, that you can call and purchase it over the phone and they will put it on your next bill. Called Monday night and just got it this afternoon. It's $149.99 and a $5.99 shipping charge.

As someone previously said, I received the router with the following UI/Firmware version:

UI Version: 1.0.112
Firmware Version 0.17.48
AcePuppy

AcePuppy

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
join:2007-08-09
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3 to nothing00

to nothing00
How were you able to order the router in Centerreach, NY on Long Island? I thought it wasn't available yet in VHO 5?
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver to Nels

Premium Member

to Nels
I just received an offer to buy the advanced router (the Rev I) for a discounted price of about $75. This is annoying for two reasons:

- I purchased it for $99 a while ago.
- The Quantum Gateway router will be available to me soon. I would be very upset (as others are) if I bought this now and a new one comes out in a few days.

I guess they are just managing their inventory.

nothing00
join:2001-06-10
Centereach, NY

nothing00 to frankpf3

to frankpf3
said by frankpf3:

Centerreach, NY on Long Island? I thought it wasn't available yet in VHO 5?

I have no idea what VHO anything is... But that location isn't for the service address I got the router for. Sorry if I got your hopes up.

twopointoh
@207.190.197.x

twopointoh to AcePuppy

Anon

to AcePuppy
AcePuppy, what does that speedtest represent?

arjun90
join:2012-05-16
New York, NY

arjun90 to Nels

to Nels
I've been told by two CR's that the G1100 routers will be available in NYC for Buy or Rent Options beginning, October 28th, 2014. Hope this helps.
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC

I wonder if this will really be worth the $150+shipping though?

How much of a faster processor does it contain? This will help determine WAN->LAN speeds and vice-verse. The wireless, is it really on par with other AC routers?

For this price or even a bit more, some other consumer routers have very fast WAN to LAN speeds, almost wireline speeds and even faster AC speeds. Only benefit is that this is MoCA, which is what everyone requires for cable boxes to have network connectivity.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3

I'd rather spend the money on an Apple Airport Extreme which is 802.11ac. Im not sure of what the big advantage is with this router over the Rev I? I bet the wifi range sucks as much as the actiontec does.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

2 recommendations

Myzteziz

said by frankpf3:

I bet the wifi range sucks as much as the actiontec does.

I highly doubt that. lol

arjun90
join:2012-05-16
New York, NY

arjun90 to Nels

to Nels
I currently own an R7000 Router. Was thinking about getting the middle-man out and using just the FiOS Gateway. Is this a bad idea for someone who relies on Wireless Printing, VOIP Services, and occasional Home-networking, Roku, and Chromecast?
VirtualLarry
Premium Member
join:2003-08-01

1 recommendation

VirtualLarry to nothing00

Premium Member

to nothing00

Re: MoCA 2.0 performance

said by nothing00:

There also doesn't appear to be anywhere to update the firmware. The manual refers to a firmware option that's not available. It looks like you now HAVE to connect the router via the WAN and cross your fingers that Verizon pushes firmware. No way to upload it manually.

Now that seems like really poor engineering. But that's Verizon for you, I guess.
AcePuppy
Gainesville, VA

AcePuppy to twopointoh

to twopointoh

Re: Quantum Gateway Router

The speedtest was based off a wifi connection and not a direct connection. The previous actiontec router did not even come close to this. My wifi is pretty much solid through all 3 floors of my townhouse.

Twopointoh
@74.107.108.x

Twopointoh

Anon

What speeds do you pay for, AcePuppy?
AcePuppy
Gainesville, VA

AcePuppy

75/75

Twopointoh
@74.107.108.x

Twopointoh

Anon

And you get that over wifi??? Wow! How close is your device to the router? Also, is it a laptop or tablet/phone?

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79 to Nels

to Nels
Is that through quantum router?
dperry112
join:2004-09-27
Bethesda, MD

dperry112

We live in Bethesda, Maryland. Using a revision "I" Actiontec router, 75/75 service. This is a chat session this evening, removing names.

Chat Subject:Upgrade Existing Services
Your Question:Quantum Gateway Router (G1100). Is this available?
Thank you for your patience, An eSales chat expert will be with you shortly.
Agent Verizon Rep has joined. (21:31:57)
Verizon Rep : Chat ID for this session is 10211434654. (21:31:57)
Verizon Rep(21:31:57): Hello. Thank you for choosing Verizon and visiting our Verizon chat service. May we view your account information, including the services you subscribe to, to assist you during this chat with respect to available Verizon products and services? You may deny us permission, which will have no effect on your current services. Under federal law, it is your right and our duty to protect your account information. May I have permission to review your account?
FIOS customer(21:32:07): yes
Verizon Rep(21:32:17): Thank you for your permission.
Verizon Rep(21:32:27): Thank you for being a valued Verizon customer.
Verizon Rep(21:33:12): To be sure, you would like to upgrade your router, am I correct?
FIOS customer(21:33:24): yes
Verizon Rep(21:34:24): Thank you for the information.
Verizon Rep(21:35:34): Let me share, your current router is an advanced router. This can support upto 1 Gbps on wired connection.
FIOS customer(21:36:23): yes but it lacks 5G channel support
Verizon Rep(21:37:58): I understand that; however, the above router would currently not be available on your account.
FIOS customer(21:38:53): ok. some of your customers have been able to order it and talk about the experience on dslreports.com
Verizon Rep(21:40:18): I apologize, currently this router is not available with internet service.
Your session is now closed.
Welcome to Verizon Live Chat

VZKid
@108.28.109.x

VZKid

Anon

Quantum Gateway nationwide availability (FIOS markets) starts October 28th

Shhhh
@12.46.251.x

Shhhh to VirtualLarry

Anon

to VirtualLarry
The Quantum router is true AC, has 3 internal antennas operates dual stream, it currently gets over 800 Mbit/ sec. There is a huge improvement on the wireless N signal simply because the radio Greenwave is using is stronger than the crappy one Actiontec uses. All 7xxx series and above, this includes the new FiOS Quantum TV equipment is Moca 2.0 compliant (not sure about Cisco though). The Moca network is established inside your home. The only thing going to and from the ONT is light, so the ONT would not need to be Moca 2.0 compliant.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by Shhhh :

The Quantum router is true AC, has 3 internal antennas operates dual stream

Quantum router is actually a triple streamed wireless router according to the spec.

Wireless LAN:
802.11b – up to 11 Mbps
802.11g – up to 54 Mbps
802.11n – up to 450 Mbps
802.11ac – up to 1300 Mbps
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b to Shhhh

to Shhhh
said by Shhhh :

The only thing going to and from the ONT is light, so the ONT would not need to be Moca 2.0 compliant.

The only thing going between the ONT and the "central office" is light.

The connection between the ONT and the router is either MoCA or Ethernet. MoCA 2.0 would be useful for the ONT to router for users subscribing to services above 75 Mbps who also want a coax connection between the router and ONT.

Enjoy.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to Shhhh

to Shhhh
Is it better then the Linksys WRT1900AC the Linksys EA9200 or the Linksys E8350? I only ask to know if I should recommend the Quantum to my clients or recommend those three routers.
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to gs0b

to gs0b
Correct, for the best performance using a MoCA connection as opposed to gigabit Ethernet the ONT would need to also support MoCA 2.0 which to my knowledge none currently do which sucks.
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76 to Shhhh

to Shhhh
said by Shhhh :

All 7xxx series and above, this includes the new FiOS Quantum TV equipment is Moca 2.0 compliant (not sure about Cisco though).

The Motorola QIP 7000 series set top boxes are only MoCA 1.1 compliant. And the Ciscos are also only MoCA 1.1 compliant. Only the Quantum TV gear (VMS1100 and IPC1100) is MoCA 2.0 compliant. Interestingly, if Verizon had released the Quantum TV gear a year earlier when it was originally announced, it would have been only MoCA 1.1 initially because mass production of MoCA 2.0 chips hadn't started yet.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3 to Nels

to Nels
Do we know if this is being released tommorw 10/28 for VHO 5?
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

The general consensus seems to be that it is being released in all markets tomorrow, 10/28/2014.

frankpf3
Verizon Fios
Huntington Station, NY

frankpf3 to Nels

to Nels
Only rep told me this morning that router is only available to 75/75 customers. Is this true? Does anyone here have the router and a package below that?