spc
Search similar:

uniqs

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Network hard drive

I'm looking for something like an external hard drive that I can plug into my router to serve as a file server of sorts. Does such a thing exist? Without having to run a separate PC as a file server?

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

I remember seeing a Seagate external drive that doubled as a NAS of sorts, but I don't think the reviews were very good. There are probably other options.
Though if you just need basic file serving, it might be cheaper (and easier) to upgrade your router to one with a USB port, and then plug any standard USB external drive directly into it.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

I don't currently have a router at the moment...waiting for Verizon DSL to be available in about 3 weeks.

I wonder if this is something that the VZ firmware removes...

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

I have no idea what Verizon is using for DSL modems these days. I also didn't know they were deploying in any new areas.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

I live in PA and there is legislation requiring 100% DSL deployment from all telcos by 12/31/2015. They put in an RT about 1.5 miles from me (fiber-fed to the CO) and they have an Oct. 25th deadline to turn it up. I've been living with a Sprint Mifi (on 3G, no less) for the past 2 years, after moving from a house with 15/2 cable available.

I've heard they are giving out either a D-Link 2750B or an Actiontec GWV784 or something like that.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

1 edit

asdfdfdfdfdf to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
There are a number of single drive NAS devices available.

Here is a seagate product:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -Product

Here is a seagate with wi-fi streaming

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 22178321

Here is a corsair unit:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 22233002

There are higher capacity NAS devices that hold multiple drives as well.

In general you are wanting some type of network attached storage (NAS) device.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to pjsutton

MVM

to pjsutton
WD MyCloud is another option:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· -Product
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

"WD MyCloud is another option:"

Yes, I wasn't really recommending anything in particular as I don't keep abreast of the offerings so can't give an informed opinion about specific product. I want the poster to understand I was just giving some examples. I should have made that more clear.
keno5net
join:2002-01-05
Milwaukee, WI

keno5net to pjsutton

to pjsutton
It looks like the D-Link will allow connection of a usb hard drive for file sharing on the network and the Actiontec won't. So if you get the D-Link any USB 2 connected HDD will work.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

said by keno5net:

So if you get the D-Link any USB 2 connected HDD will work.

Though you'll want to stick with 2Tb or less for the drive. That limitation applies to almost all of the consumer grade usb capable routers. You can use one bigger, but you'll have to sub-partition it, and a lot of routers will only see the first partition.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Thanks for all the help! I saw the same ones that someone posted from Newegg when I did a Google search.