Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

[Install] Odds of having HSI messed up if I go with another TV provider ?

I'm thinking of (maybe) dropping Comcast/Xfinity for TV and going with another provider -- BUT keeping the Comcast HSI. But *if* I needed a service tech for HSI, what do y'all think are the odds that the tech would cluelessly or "accidentally on purpose" cutting or disabling the TV from another provider ?

Just curious as there are stories about that on the internet. But there are also the stories of how drinking the blood of earwigs stops male pattern baldness .... .

Thanks.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

1 recommendation

Jim721

There are lots of people that have Comcast for Internet and another provider for tv and have no issues with techs cutting there coax cables. I use to have direct tv and Comcast HSI and never had any problems. I wouldn't worry about it and just go for it if that's what you want to do.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Kal L,
Thanks !! Did you have any issues with DirecTv and Michigan winters?

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

1 recommendation

Jim721

Not so much during the winter unless we got very heavy snow but I did have issues with rain fade when we had thunderstorms or even just real heavy cloud cover, it was the reason I got rid of direct tv. I will say it worked good except for the rain fade.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

4 edits

1 recommendation

RR Conductor to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
We have Comcast for HSI and Directv for our TV service, and no issues here! No worries on the "cutting cables to hit back at the other guy" thing, I think the chances of that happening are pretty low. We have pretty wet winters up here in Redwood Valley in NW CA (average is 45 inches per wet season, with a few inches of snow thrown in too), and some pretty intense winter storms, but it has to get VERY bad for any signal issues. We have areas up here in NW CA that get 60-80 inches of rain per season, and of course the Sierra Nevada Mountains, the snowiest place in the US (they average 50-70 feet per season, some locations get even more), and people in those areas I know do just fine with satellite. Oh, and this area is heavily forested, rugged (lots of hills, mountains and canyons) and very rural, with some Redwoods that can reach 400 feet in height, I've seen dishes in dense stands of VERY tall Redwoods, a good installer can put in dishes almost anywhere.

Edit-In areas with a lot of snowfall, they make heating coils that fit onto the dish, helping to prevent and reduce snow and ice buildup.

swilliams
join:1999-09-07
Littleton, CO

swilliams to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
I had Comcast for both TV and internet. Dropped the TV and started with DirecTV here in SW Denver. No problems with coax or connections or anything.

DirecTV is expensive once the 2 year promos end but it's no worse than Comcast once their promos expire.

Very happy with DirecTV's reliability. Heavy weather will sometimes cause some pixelization but nothing too bad. Once in two years since I've had it, I've had to find the epp we DVR'd and rerecord it because the recording was unwatchable. The entire service itself has never failed, unlike Comcast which has totally gone out three different times over the same period.