Search similar:

uniqs
Quattrohead
Premium Member
join:2005-02-09

Quattrohead

Premium Member

[Plumbing] Slow hot water delivery

So our new house has a Noritz instant water heater that does deliver unlimited hot water......once it gets to you.
It can take over 1 minute to get it to the taps at the far end of the runs if the hot water has not been used for a while. I know the issue is the 1" pipe leading away from the unit, I suspect there are long runs of it.
Has anyone used those pump assisted units that you have to run manually ?
I am thinking this is a quick fix until I fiure out the runs and cost to replace the HW pipes with micro bore PEX and a manifold.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

said by Quattrohead:

Has anyone used those pump assisted units that you have to run manually ?

This subject was discussed in this thread:

»[Plumbing] New Water Heater

This was my comment:
I installed an early version of this pump around 2001 in my home in South Florida, it worked great. Here the Master Bath is much closer to the hot water heater, so it is unnecessary.

»www.chilipepperapp.com/

Press button, pump starts and and runs until hot water reaches thermostat in pump, pump shuts off.

enon
@96.26.101.x

enon to Quattrohead

Anon

to Quattrohead
Seems to me it would be easier and less expensive to simply install point-of-use heaters at the affected taps. They would instantly heat the water and then taper off when hot water from the main unit arrives.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

said by enon :

Seems to me it would be easier and less expensive to simply install point-of-use heaters at the affected taps.

Point of use water heaters require a dedicated circuit and a way to direct the output of the P-T Valve out of the dwelling, in order to meet code. The pump uses very little power and can be connected to an outlet under the vanity extended from the convenience outlet in the bathroom.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to Quattrohead

Premium Member

to Quattrohead
Can you replace the 1" run with 1/2" PEX? I replaced a 3/4" run to my kitchen sink and the heat up time was cut dramatically.

»[Plumbing] Pressure Drop 3/8 CPVC
Quattrohead
Premium Member
join:2005-02-09

Quattrohead

Premium Member

Tim, just what I am looking for, thanks.
I struggle to understand why we use such large pipes and then strangle them with a crappy 3/8" shut off and stub pipe to the tap and totally kill water delivery by aerating it