dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nfotiu
join:2009-01-25

nfotiu

Local Channels only now requires set top box??

About a year ago, I signed up for a 2 year contract for $75 for internet + local channels, because that was $5/month cheaper than just internet. About 9 months ago, I added HBO because they were offering it half off and I could watch it via HBO GO. I already have directv, so no use for the local channels anyway. Well, today I go to cancel HBO, and I get an email saying they are sending me a set top box. I called to try to cancel it, and talked to about 6 people and what I've found out is that STBs are now required for that package, and will cost me $12 a month and cancelling HBO triggered the STB being sent. I asked them to cancel and they said there is no way to cancel, that the system no longer lets people have no STBs with even local tv packages.

Anyone else run into this craziness? They are basically increasing my bill $12 a month from the contracted price is how I see it.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

That's simply not true. Verizon still doesn't encrypt locals. If you doubt that - consider the fact that you're still getting local channels without a box. If they do go this route then the FCC requires that they give you a means to get your local channels for free for at least 2 years. So, even if they were moving to requiring a STB for locals, you would get the box for free.

Besides, as has been posted here before, Verizon has no need to encrypt locals. The reason that Comcast wanted that ability was because they had lots of cases of internet only customers getting free locals - they could shut off locals at the cable office, but it was obnoxiously difficult and expensive to do that. The easiest way to implement that was to encrypt locals. Verizon has no need to go this route because they already have a means of shutting down locals for internet-only customers - the ONT.

This is just another example of a very crappy ordering system that Verizon has. I don't doubt that the rep HAS to give you a box - but not because they're encrypting locals. But because their ordering system is making them put one in for you. When everyone complains about their billing system, most of the issues have nothing to do with billing. It's their ordering system that really messes things up.

When you get the box, just return it. Sucks that you have to go through that, but you don't need a STB for locals.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

stevek1949 to nfotiu

Premium Member

to nfotiu
Wouldn't a digital adapter do the same for only $5.00? But no HBO. It may preclude programming for that so the HBO GO would not work. That may be the ultimate reason for the STB.

The contract is for the price of the services, not the equipment. They use the price of equipment as a way to increase the overall price without voiding the contracts.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

There is no need for the STB or digital adapter. I'm betting that their ordering system is requiring the rep to put one in, and isn't allowing them to cancel that part of the order. Again, when the box comes in, take it right over to a UPS location and ship it back to them. Keep the tracking slip so that you can prove that it was sent back, should something go awry with their return system.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to JPL

to JPL
I would say JPL is right, it's Verizon's handcuffed order system. As with anything, force customer service to provide the service without a STB.

As for the digital adapter, it's only SD.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to JPL

to JPL
said by JPL:

There is no need for the STB or digital adapter. I'm betting that their ordering system is requiring the rep to put one in, and isn't allowing them to cancel that part of the order. Again, when the box comes in, take it right over to a UPS location and ship it back to them. Keep the tracking slip so that you can prove that it was sent back, should something go awry with their return system.

Potential problem with that though is once you send back an STB - if it's the only one on the account - they make take that as an indication you want to drop the TV service - or the entire service completely, as they mistakenly did to me a couple years ago. So proceed with caution if you take this path.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

tlbepson to nfotiu

Premium Member

to nfotiu
As others have noted, you don't need an STB for local channels. What I suggest is posting about this in the Verizon Direct forum here outlining the situation in detail:
»Verizon Direct

The Verizon Direct forum is private so that only you and the Verizon techs can see the postings. I've always found Verizon Direct helpful...
descartes
join:2013-09-24

descartes to nfotiu

to nfotiu
If it were me, and I didn't want it, I would refuse delivery of the STB.

Verizon uses trackable shipping such as UPS so refusing delivery should send it right back and it remains tracked under the existing tracking number.

My reasoning is that if you accept the delivery then try to return it, you will either need to pay the $10 equipment return fee at the Verizon store (or whatever crazy amount they are charging now) or pay the monthly rate until they mark the box as returned, which could take 3 or 4 weeks.

If you refuse delivery then you can claim you should never be billed for the box as you didn't order it, use it, nor have it in your possession for use.

YMMV.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere

Sometimes it's hard to refuse delivery when the carrier leaves the box at your door step and doesn't ring the bell and ask for you to sign for it.
That has happened to me with an Actonec router, although I planned to keep it anyway.
tlbepson
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
dc metro

1 edit

tlbepson to descartes

Premium Member

to descartes
Refusing delivery is a good idea. I've only ever refused delivery (UPS) once on the advice of newegg after ordering something only to discover after I got the ship notice that I'd ordered the wrong model and newegg told me to just refuse delivery.

I was concerned I'd miss the actual delivery so I put a big note on my front door directed to UPS stating in big bold letters that I was refusing any delivery from newegg along with my name, address, UPS tracking number and I also signed it. I figured that the UPS delivery person could take the note with my signature as proof of delivery refusal.

That worked just fine...UPS delivery guy took the note and left me a confirmation that the delivery was refused...and...no package was left at my door. newegg then credited my credit card for the purchase when they received confirmation from UPS that the delivery was refused and the item was returned to newegg.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to descartes

to descartes
said by descartes:

My reasoning is that if you accept the delivery then try to return it, you will either need to pay the $10 equipment return fee at the Verizon store (or whatever crazy amount they are charging now) or pay the monthly rate until they mark the box as returned, which could take 3 or 4 weeks.

They don't charge a return fee at the Verizon store anymore. Haven't for a while now.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA

SixOfNine to nfotiu

Premium Member

to nfotiu
To reiterate what others have said: I just switched to internet and local channels only (same reason the OP did -- because it was less expensive than internet only) and I don't need a set top box.
descartes
join:2013-09-24

descartes to bsangs

to bsangs
said by bsangs:

They don't charge a return fee at the Verizon store anymore. Haven't for a while now.

That is good news! The policy must have changed since this past February.

In that case, returning the equipment to the store is definitely a viable option (as long as a trip to the store is not terribly inconvenient).

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to nfotiu

Premium Member

to nfotiu
What has happen is Verizon is making ALL Video packages require an STB on the account, there is absolutely no way around this. It has nothing to do with Clear vs Encrypted QAM

Here is how I know:

My account had no STBs, they made a billing mistake when the new symmetric tiers came out, but no CSR or our local direct group could resolve because I had returned my DVR months ago. I escalated got no where and finally got the BBB involved.

When contacted by the special Verizon rep to resolve ( basically no one higher in the chain of command for CSR ), and these are the ones that can literally give you anything for options and discounts, the only way to fix things was to send me and STB ( for free ) so they could push the order through, that's how twisted this is. I sent it back the day I got the STB.

Yes, you can return the STB, they can't stop you from doing that, but once you do, your account is basically frozen from any changes that the CSR would be allowed to ( any level ) do as there computer support system has been programmed for ALL Video services require the STB, no overrides are possible.

Hope this helps in understanding whats going on ... its another revenue stream for Verizon.
nfotiu
join:2009-01-25

nfotiu

After speaking to about 5 representatives, the retention department, their supervisors, they all said the same thing. No way for me to cancel HBO without them at least sending the stb. They all said I could take it and refuse delivery, but I just can't help but think that will lead to more confusion and mess down the road. Especially if I am not there to accept delivery. So they are giving me $15/month off my bill for a year which is more than the $8.99 I am paying for HBO, so I guess all is fine for a while anyway. But it looks like I cannot ever make any changes to my services without triggering a STB to be sent.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

Then their system is violating FCC regulations. I know some people who have their local-only package without a set top box. In your case, it works out - although I have to wonder why they wouldn't just fix their stupid ordering system.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Verizon is allowing local only, there just making it very painful, to the point very few will think its worth the hassle.