All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

User884512
@135.0.156.x

User884512

Anon

Signing up for 3rd party provider while owing Bell/Rogers?

This question isn't for me. It's for some leeching neighbours of ours who are using the excuse to keep using our internet, that they can't sign up with the likes of Teksavvy/Acanac/Start etc because they owe money to Bell/Rogers.

Is this true? That while you owe money to these companies, they (Rogers/Bell) will refuse to provide third party service (/Teksavvy/Start etc) while you still owe money to them? (The neighbours owe hundreds of dollars to Bell/Rogers and haven't been customers for at last 1-2 years).

Thanks a lot!
User884512

User884512

Anon

Edit - I should say they keep asking to use our internet and keep using that excuse. They actually aren't using our internet and never in a million years would I let them use it. I just want to tell them they are lying/incorrect next time they ask me and use that excuse.

Thanks!

Semaphore
Premium Member
join:2003-11-18

Semaphore to User884512

Premium Member

to User884512
I have seen this with Bell yes.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to User884512

MVM

to User884512
Yes, it's correct. No, it's not an excuse: tell them that if they want Internet service, they should pay their bills.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to User884512

to User884512
100% true with Bell anyways, since Bell owns the infrastructure and needs to make the connections to have DSL service with one of the other guys, Bell will "x-code" the address and name and will refuse to service them until their Bell bill is paid.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by btech805:

100% true with Bell anyways, since Bell owns the infrastructure and needs to make the connections to have DSL service with one of the other guys, Bell will "x-code" the address and name and will refuse to service them until their Bell bill is paid.

Not completely true. In some cities, we provide DSL on unbundled loops (LCLXXU circuits). I've never had them deny an address because of an unpaid Bell bill.
JeanPhilippe
join:2014-01-10

JeanPhilippe

said by HeadSpinning:

said by btech805:

Not completely true. In some cities, we provide DSL on unbundled loops (LCLXXU circuits). I've never had them deny an address because of an unpaid Bell bill.

I've never seen this happen either.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

Sometimes, I almost wish they did deny service to those addresses :-\
said by JeanPhilippe:

said by HeadSpinning:

said by btech805:

I've never seen this happen either.

Sometimes I wish it did happen to these addresses :-\

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to User884512

to User884512
I don't think any TPIAs require identification to signup for their services unlike Bell and Rogers who try and even get your SIN and other pieces of ID. You should be able to provide any name. It's all prepaid after all.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to User884512

Premium Member

to User884512
said by User884512 :

I just want to tell them they are lying/incorrect next time they ask me and use that excuse.

You don't need an excuse. But you're responsible for crap they get up to on your connection. Really want to get into the whole "It wasn't me pirating music, it was my neighbour." problem? That's reason enough.

Other reasons;
- Bandwidth caps/over-charges
- Degraded service quality with higher usage.

Etc.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to btech805

to btech805
Rogers does blacklist addresses that have an extensive history of customers with poor payment history. Not sure if it applies on the TPIA side though.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

i don't think they can just blacklist an address, they can however blacklist a customer name.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Yes, Rogers does "blacklist" addresses. Haven't heard complaints in recent years though ... they certainly did several years ago. There were several complaints in this forum who couldn't get Rogers service even though neighbours each side could. Haven't seen any complaints about that practice in a while though.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

The practice is still in place. It's a very rare occurrence as the address needs to have several consecutive customers with very poor payment history before the address gets blacklisted and this is typically rare even it bad neighbourhoods. Also if the address is blacklisted, a potential customer can still sign up if they allow Rogers to extensively research their background and credit history.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to User884512

to User884512
Does Rogers or Bell still require a security deposit from people with bad/no credit?

I seem to remember that being in place many, many years ago.... after a few months of good credit, the amount got released.

As to neighbours owing money, it is really pointless to try and dick companies around or hide from them, lest you be blacklisted on your credit report, and get even more ruined.

Then again, there are people who go through life like that.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Bell does collect deposits from those who are less credit worthy

Rogers only collects deposits on wireless services. No deposits are collected on the residential side. It's an approved or denied system that is very lenient.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by yyzlhr:

Bell does collect deposits from those who are less credit worthy

Rogers only collects deposits on wireless services. No deposits are collected on the residential side. It's an approved or denied system that is very lenient.

Does it get held until the end of service, or released after a set amount of time?

I seem to remember having to do that when I was 19 for a landline.... but that was in the mid 90's, well before the companies getting $100's of dollars a month in services!
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

According to the Bell TOS it is held until the service is terminated or until the "conditions justifying the deposit are gone".
User4321
join:2014-07-19

User4321 to User884512

to User884512
Your neighbours were probably one of the suckers paying like $500/month to those scumbags. Show some sympathy.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Uh, no.

Because liability.
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin to User884512

to User884512
When you say leeching neighbours using your interent do you mean they like come over once in a while to use your net or are you giving them access to wifi?

Huge difference there...

modemport
join:2013-08-26
Montreal, QC

modemport to User884512

to User884512
if they've abused previous service providers, they'll do the same to you.

tell them your utilities are for your use, not theirs.

they can provide a large deposit to another provider to cover whatever issues they may create in the future, or they can live without it.

it's not your problem. don't get sucked into problems by neighbors with financial issues.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

Sometimes I wish it did happen to these addresses :-\

LCL circuits are different than wholesale Dsl I was referring to. I can't see Bell stopping an LCL installation, though as you say perhaps you wish we did. Those who owe Rogers AND bell are generally professional deadbeats and probably won't pay you either.

I actually had a blacklisted wholesale order with acanac 2 days ago, and had a 1st party Bell installation x-rated on me 2 weeks ago, they owed Bell money and the account was suspended and tried to open a new account in the wife's name. Same last name, same address.

And Bell certainly does still take deposits from individuals with less than perfect credit or addresses/names with previous payment issues.

User884512
@135.0.156.x

User884512 to User4321

Anon

to User4321
said by User4321:

Your neighbours were probably one of the suckers paying like $500/month to those scumbags. Show some sympathy.

Respectfully, you don't know these people. There's already one person on the block who cut them off. Through speaking with other people, personal experience with them, and just plain old observation. I've learned these are the types of people who will sign up for ANYTHING that you can play later, or services which you get something out of it. IE Sign a 3 year contract to get a new cellphone. Then they stop paying for the service, and BS them for as long as possible about payments until they are cut off.

It's happened with Bell already. So they went to Rogers, and now Rogers kicked them off more than a year ago and they've come to me as well as several others in the neighbourhood.

You also don't know how much we've personally helped these people out over the past year, (including lending money) and all we get in return is false rumors of us spread around the neighbourhood, our pieces of our plants cut because they are too cheap to buy a whole plant themselves. Calls at 10PM asking for money, knocks on the door. Etc.

I've even given them an extra DCM475 when I refused them their internet. They looked really disappointed. Said "thanks" like I've just given them a cup of coffee or something. Didn't stop them from taking it though, even though (as I've learned from here) that they are unlikely to make any use of it. To date they STILL do not have internet. We even gave them money for their first month's service for God's sake!

I have zero sympathy left for them. ZERO. These people are NOT victims.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

said by User884512 :

Yet you still allow them to use your connection......
Riplin
canada

Riplin to User884512

to User884512
if you ask me I'd say you asked for it. All they'd get from me is the middle finger.

User884512
@135.0.156.x

User884512 to ptrowski

Anon

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

said by User884512 :

Yet you still allow them to use your connection......

Nope. They are not using it.
Riplin
canada

Riplin

your lucky one of them's not a pedo. Have fun explaining that to the cops

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Riplin:

your lucky one of them's not a pedo. Have fun explaining that to the cops

Or the new hip thing to do, converting to radical islam.