uniqs

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

New studies point out dangers of 'talking' to car

quote:
New studies point out dangers of 'talking' to car
Drivers can be distracted by voice-activated smartphones, dashboard infotainment systems
Associated Press By Joan Lowy, Associated Press
4 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Just because you can talk to your car doesn't mean you should. Two new studies have found that voice-activated smartphones and dashboard infotainment systems may be making the distracted-driving problem worse instead of better.

The systems let drivers do things like tune the radio, send a text message or make a phone call while keeping their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel, but many of these systems are so error-prone or complex that they require more concentration from drivers rather than less, according to studies released Tuesday by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety and the University of Utah.

One study examined infotainment systems in some of the most common auto brands on the road: Chevrolet, Chrysler, Ford, Hyundai and Mercedes. The second study tested the Apple iPhone's Siri voice system to navigate, send texts, make Facebook and Twitter posts and use the calendar without handling or looking at the phone. Apple and Google are working with automakers to mesh smartphones with infotainment systems so drivers can bring their apps, navigation and music files into their cars.

The voice-activated systems were graded on a distraction scale of 1 to 5, with 1 representing no distraction and 5 comparable to doing complex math problems and word memorization.

Apple's Siri received the worst rating, 4.14. Twice, test drivers using Siri in a driving simulator rear-ended another car...

»news.yahoo.com/studies-p ··· 067.html
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck

That's because Siri (at times) listens about as well to you as your spouse/significant other does when they say "They aren't mad at you"

NefCanuck

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
I've said it before, Siri creates more work for me. It's quicker for me to accomplish the task required without it.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to haroldo

Premium Member

to haroldo
That's why I continue to maintain that voice recognition is a gimmick.

I have Siri turned off.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
Will with an English/Texan accent I think that boggles just about everyone.
OsoPeligroso
join:2014-10-03

OsoPeligroso to haroldo

to haroldo
I use my Prius's built-in bluetooth phone system. Besides having to manually press "Calls" and then the person you want to call, and then the dial button. It's not too distracting. Oh, wait...

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

2 edits

1 recommendation

haroldo

I find myself using it from time to time ...

If I don't have my eye glasses and I want to fire off a quick text message (I don't trust autocorrect)
I ask if it's going to rain
When driving in an area that I'm not familiar and I want a quick bite ("where is pizza, etc.")
When it's too difficult to get to the specific search...it's easier to say "who won the Yankees game?"
I use frequently to set quick reminders
OsoPeligroso
join:2014-10-03

OsoPeligroso

It's up to the makers to come up with technology that's easier to use while driving. Until then we just have to dance with the one that brung us and keep our eyes on the road.