All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
TipsyPickle
join:2014-08-01

TipsyPickle

Is my modem quitting or something else?

I have a Westell 6100 modem, have had it for ages and i'm having two big issues with it. The first one being, anytime it disconnects it will reconnect like normal except for my upload speed. For some reason it will only connect at 32Kbps for my upload. To get around this I power cycle a few times and then it eventually connects at my normal upload speed. When this happens everything on the modem is perfect, download is perfect, SNR, everything except the upload speed. This issue started on the day Centurylink had a major outage in Missouri. I was online when the outage was happening and the modem went down, came back up at the 32Kbps and then shortly after everything went down until the fiber was repaired. No outages since. I have no idea if thats even related to my modem issue or just coincidence.

The Second issue is if the modem turns off it comes back but won't respond. The lights will all be on and look like its working but I won't have internet and I can't even log into the modem to see anything. It just does not respond until I power cycle a few times and it comes back.

All of this tells me my modem needs replaced but I could be wrong. What do you all think? Is this my modem or is it possibly something on Centurylinks end?

My modem is rented from Centurylink and I can just call and get a new one but they want reasons for why I need a new one. I think everything I have written is a good enough reason.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Your modem is failing. Call and tell them it has stopped working and you need a replacement. Just be sure to save the return tracking receipt until at least three years after you cancel service.
TipsyPickle

TipsyPickle

I called them and turns out I'm not even renting the modem. Somewhere down the line they decided to charge me full price and stopped the rental fee. Now I just need to go buy one but the only modem I can find close is an Actiontec C1000A. Will this suffice? I'm on ADSL or ADSL 2, not sure which. I'm not really familiar with modems.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

The C1000A will work on VDSL and ADSL circuits. If you have another router available, I would suggest using the C1000A in bridge mode.
TipsyPickle

TipsyPickle

I just bought a new router a couple months ago, so i'll pick up the modem and I should be set. Thank you!