join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

1 recommendation

thedragonmas

Premium Member

use an antenna my

use an antenna my foot. even antenna web shows 1 channel for my location at 30 feet, 0 below it. and im in the middle of the city. ever since that digital transition NO indoor antenna works. and you shouldn't be required to get a mast mount antenna if your in the darn city. i even mentioned it to the "chief engineer" for our local nbc affiliate. got nothing but silence on the matter. proof to me that they want you to pay those retrans fees or get nothing.

my take? if your in the DMA but cant pick it up with a standard table top, i.e. NOT a freakin mast mount (not all of us can install one) then you shouldnt have to pay one thin cent to receive the broadcast via cable, or sat. they got a problem with it? up the freakin power.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

I use indoor antennas exclusively and can get all channels, including 3 VHF. Antenna placement is extremely important with digital TV. Turning even an inch can make/break a signal. Standalone amplifiers definitely improve the signal quality.

Upping the power isn't going to be possible in many markets once the FCC repackages DTV to clear more spectrum for cell providers. The exception is VHF, which the FCC restrictions are arguably underpowered currently. But that will have to be addressed when the FCC moves more stations to VHF, including lower VHF 2-4, which is currently unused in nearly all markets.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

1 edit

thedragonmas

Premium Member

congrats, ive moved the antenna literally 1 MM at a time, i all so know their direction from my home. and the channels in question are VHF for locals. WALB, WFXL and im not to sure on WABW.

ive tried standard rabbit ears with no amp (which is all that should be needed), ive tried amplified rabbit ears. and ive tried an »www.p4c.philips.com/cgi- ··· -MANT940 which worked just fine prior to the digital transition. as i had to use it when the two towers got took down by a helicopter and they had a very low power emergency transmitter set up, when they got the new towers up they where full digital and couldnt get a thing.

i stand by my stance. if a person cant get the channel in the DMA with a standard set of rabbit ears then they should not be charged a retrans fee.

edit: forgot to mention, plugging in my address on antennaweb and selecting "no" to mast mount gets me this.
Due to factors such as terrain and distance to broadcasting towers, signal strength calculations have predicted no television stations may be reliably received at this location.
and they are in fact correct.

if i choose 30 foot mast i get 1 listed, WABW.
WABW-DT 14.1 PBS
RF Channel: 6
31 miles at 170° Red
oh, and according to "tvfool" WALB and WFXL are 26.2 miles, so closer than WABW.