spc
Search similar:

uniqs
lmacmil
join:2001-01-26
South Bend, IN

lmacmil

[Comcast Equip] DVR takes forever to populate the guide

My power went out Sunday for 90 minutes. It's been back on for 50 hours and my Moto DVR program guide is not even close to being filled. There is only one program showing during prime time tomorrow on the 5 major networks. The major cable channels aren't much better. This seems even slower than I remember from previous outages. Has something changed at Comcast.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Did you try unplugging the power again, wait 5 min and plug it back in?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to lmacmil

MVM

to lmacmil
quote:
Slow guide data loading is typically an indication of a localized signal issue that may require a technician visits to investigate and resolve. Your guide date should load complete in about 24 hours [48 hours max] after a box reboot or power outage.
lmacmil
South Bend, IN

lmacmil to SuperNet

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

I have not done that but how is that different from it being powered down and back up after the power outage?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by lmacmil:

said by SuperNet:

I have not done that but how is that different from it being powered down and back up after the power outage?

Well, I think SuperNet See Profile is figuring something's hosed and a clean power reset may get the guide to start re-populating again.

Otherwise, a power reset would only restart the re-population from scratch again.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

owlyn to lmacmil

MVM

to lmacmil
I've had several power outages lately, and yes, the guide is taking days to populate on both boxes. My signal levels are fine. Usually can take up to a day.
lmacmil
South Bend, IN

lmacmil to SuperNet

to SuperNet
said by SuperNet:

I did that this morning. We'll see what happens. FWIW, I checked the SNR and AGC readings per the link in another post. The SNR values were all "good" but the AGC value was only "fair." A couple years ago when I was having an issue a Comcast tech came out and replaced all the interior cable, connectors and splittlers.
lmacmil

lmacmil

24 hours after unplugging the DVR for 5 minutes, even the current day program guide is not fully populated. I do have it on a UPS but during the power outage, my wife complained so much about the beeping (the UPS beeps every couple minutes when the power is off) I unplugged the DVR. So I did it to myself!

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by lmacmil:

I do have it on a UPS but during the power outage, my wife complained so much about the beeping (the UPS beeps every couple minutes when the power is off)

Yeah, that does become real annoying during extended power failures, especially if you have two of them dueling from different rooms.

I wish they had an "ACO" (Alarm Cut-Off) button like many telecom office equipment used to have.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89

Premium Member

Yep it does! I always yell shut up!

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL

cHarley to lmacmil

to lmacmil
Most of the popular UPS' come with software that allows you to disable the audible alarms.

I keep a copy of APC's PowerChute utility on a laptop and use it to disable the alarms on most of the UPS' I have that are not in critical applications.
lmacmil
South Bend, IN

1 edit

lmacmil

said by cHarley:

I keep a copy of APC's PowerChute utility on a laptop and use it to disable the alarms on most of the UPS' I have that are not in critical applications.

I have an APC unit so I'll have to look for the cable that connects to the PC. I have no idea where I might have put it!

Update: I have a model (BE350G) that doesn't allow the alarm to be turned off. Oh well...

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to cHarley

MVM

to cHarley
said by cHarley:

Most of the popular UPS' come with software that allows you to disable the audible alarms.

Well, I don't want to disable the audible alarm, just want to be able to silence it once I've been alerted to the power failure (which can be just that circuit if a breaker trips from something else on the same one), and have it be automatically or manually re-enabled once power is restored.