spc
Search similar:

uniqs

CyberAkuma
@98.193.59.x

CyberAkuma

Anon

[Connectivity] Comcast says my modem is invalid, not sure how it's even working

Ok, so I had an outdated DOCSIS 2.0 modem months ago. Since I have phone service from Comcast as well, AND I didn't want to get a router/gateway as I have my own, this severely limited my choices.

I wound up getting a used Arris 822 online, called Comcast to activate it, returned the old modem and was told no more rental fee, and I was good to go.... or so I thought.

I have been having issues with my entire service lately, Internet, Phone, and TV. So I called and they scheduled a tech. The tech was surprised that apparently there is no modem registered to the account (Provisioned but not added to the account somehow I think he mentioned?). When he took a look, he said that I apparently CAN'T buy my own emta modem and HAVE to rent one from them. Is this true?

So, he was telling me that the Mac address of the modem isn't showing up as one of theirs, and that this will be a huge legal issue due to the 911 address of it apparently being registered to whoever had the modem originally.

Also, apparently I have still been charged a rental fee all this time as well.

He said that he knows this has nothing to do with my current issue and that it's clear somehow is up with the physical cable itself, especially since the TV is also acting up, but that he has to get this fixed or it would be a huge legal issue due to the 911 thing.

First of all, is any of that true? I was told you can get your own emta modem.

Second, if I do still need to rent a modem from them, he mentioned pretty much the only two brands being Arris and Ubee.... is there any reason I should lean towards one or the other if I can make a choice?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by CyberAkuma :

... I wound up getting a used Arris 822 online, called Comcast to activate it, returned the old modem and was told no more rental fee, and I was good to go.... or so I thought.

I have been having issues with my entire service lately, Internet, Phone, and TV. So I called and they scheduled a tech. The tech was surprised that apparently there is no modem registered to the account (Provisioned but not added to the account somehow I think he mentioned?).

Yeah, that's strange, but maybe that was due to you having purchased a used modem that may still have been associated with another Comcast account. Comcast recommends only purchasing them "new."
said by CyberAkuma :

When he took a look, he said that I apparently CAN'T buy my own emta modem and HAVE to rent one from them. ... I was told you can get your own emta modem. Is this true?

Yes, in many areas you may now purchase an eMTA, but it sounds like your area is one of the few markets that don't allow subscribers to own them, even though Comcast is trying to establish a uniform national process for this: »Re: [Speed] Upgrade Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem ASAP ,
said by CyberAkuma :

So, he was telling me that the MAC address of the modem isn't showing up as one of theirs, and that this will be a huge legal issue due to the 9 11 address of it apparently being registered to whoever had the modem originally. ... First of all, is any of that true?

Again, this can be a problem with purchasing a used/refurbished eMTA.

When I purchased mine last December, a tech visit was required to set it up, and the tech had to jump through some hoops to register it then, as Comcast's system did recognize the MAC address, saying it was "not in inventory."

Well, of course it was not, because it was not a rental unit, but one I had purchased. The tech finally spoke to someone who could finally get the MAC address into Comcast's system (as a customer-owned eMTA).
said by CyberAkuma :

Second, if I do still need to rent a modem from them, he mentioned pretty much the only two brands being Arris and Ubee.... is there any reason I should lean towards one or the other if I can make a choice?

Well, in your market, it looks like you'll need to rent an eMTA and set it up for just CDV/Xfinity Voice service, and then you can purchase a modem for HSI service.

See this other thread: »[Equip] Switching from U-Verse, have Questions..

CyberAkuma
@98.193.59.x

CyberAkuma

Anon

I got mixed answers, I was told by the service center it was ok, but now the techs are insisting that it is not OK. But if I absolutely have to rent a emta modem from them anyway then might as well rent the whole thing, since they will charge me the same either way. The modem also says Optimum on it, not sure if that's a rival ISP or just branding, never heard of that.

So does anyone have any comments on if it doesn't matter if the one they give me is an Arris or Ubee? Or would you recommend one over the other?

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by CyberAkuma :

I got mixed answers, I was told by the service center it was ok, but now the techs are insisting that it is not OK. But if I absolutely have to rent a emta modem from them anyway then might as well rent the whole thing, since they will charge me the same either way. The modem also says Optimum on it, not sure if that's a rival ISP or just branding, never heard of that.

So does anyone have any comments on if it doesn't matter if the one they give me is an Arris or Ubee? Or would you recommend one over the other?

You did. Sounds like you got a unit that was used with Optimum Online. »OptimumOnline

They're in NY and some surrounding areas.

You might have a paperweight on your hands.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

2 recommendations

telcodad to CyberAkuma

MVM

to CyberAkuma
said by CyberAkuma :

The modem also says Optimum on it, not sure if that's a rival ISP or just branding, never heard of that.

Optimum is the brand name of services from Cablevision, just like Xfinity is Comcast's brand name for their residential services.

As it says Optimum on it, it's most likely a rental unit that was never returned to Cablevision. That's why you may have been having problems with it.

That's also why most people on here recommend not purchasing modems/eMTAs off of eBay or Craigslist.

CyberAkuma
@98.193.59.x

CyberAkuma

Anon

said by telcodad:

As it says Optimum on it, it's most likely a rental unit that was never returned to Cablevision. That's why you may have been having problems with it.

It was working fine for a few months, but when I had issues with my cable wiring itself they said my modem wasn't set up correctly and that they can't fix the cable issue without fixing the modem issue first due to 911 regulations. Apparently the guy who initially set it up for me didn't do it right.