uniqs

brhalltx
Premium Member
join:2002-12-09
Cypress, TX

brhalltx

Premium Member

[WiFi] xfinitywifi

I noticed today that xifinitywifi was enabled on my Arris gateway, even though I opted out early.

I wasn't able to turn it off via the Comcast web site; apparently that feature "isn't working" now.

I chatted with Comcast support, and they turned it off; no questions asked.

I'm sure it'll get turned on again...

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by brhalltx:

I noticed today that xifinitywifi was enabled on my Arris gateway, even though I opted out early.

I wasn't able to turn it off via the Comcast web site; apparently that feature "isn't working" now.

Did you follow the procedure in this newly updated support page on it?

XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspots Frequently Asked Questions
Updated on October 07, 2014 at 2:59 PM
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· otspots/
quote:
How do I disable/enable the XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot feature? What happens if I choose to disable it?
We encourage all subscribers to keep this feature enabled as it allows more people to enjoy the benefits of XFINITY WiFi around the neighborhood. You will always have the ability to disable the XFINITY WiFi feature on your wireless gateway by contacting us. You can also visit My Account, click on Users & Preferences, and then select Manage XFINITY WiFi. See XFINITY WiFi: Enable or Disable Home Hotspot in My Account for step-by-step instructions.
John104
join:2002-01-07
Pasadena, TX

John104

Unable to disable Xfinity wifi home hotspot through the web page. Never have been able to. Called Comcast and the lady had no clue what I was talking about. She did offer to set up a service call. I probably would get charged for that. Does anybody at Comcast have more than one brain cell?
Gerard1234
join:2012-04-03

Gerard1234 to brhalltx

to brhalltx
I have an DPC 3939 gateway and can not turn it on. It does not even work. Also no IPV6 with this gateway and probably never will have it.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to brhalltx

MVM

to brhalltx
There's an article on the Light Reading site today about these "home hotspots":

How Home Hotspots Could Hit Hurdles
By Mari Silbey, Light Reading - October 27, 2014
»www.lightreading.com/cab ··· d/711666
quote:
... However, Community WiFi is still a shared-spectrum experience. This means that use of the public SSID on a home router can still cause performance problems for the private hotspot subscriber.

At the DOCSIS 3.1 and Wireless Symposium in Denver last month, CableLabs Architect Vivek Ganti explained it this way: Imagine a public user 50 feet away from an access point wants to upload a photo to Facebook while the owner of the home hotspot is trying to send email only 10 feet away. Because WiFi is egalitarian, if the guest user grabs the upstream channel first, it creates congestion on the network, making it difficult for the home subscriber to send email.

Charlie Douglas, executive director of corporate communications at Comcast, confirmed that home hotspots could experience network congestion from guest users simply because of the way that WiFi works.
:
Douglas, however, was quick to point out that Comcast hasn't received reports of performance problems on home hotspots because of added traffic from guest users. "It's not something we're seeing," he said. He also thinks problems are unlikely in the future because of WiFi's limited range. A guest user would need to park and stay parked near someone's home hotspot in order to take advantage of it. ...

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck

said by telcodad:

A guest user would need to park and stay parked near someone's home hotspot in order to take advantage of it.

Or live in a crowded subdivision with quest WiFi around, or live in an apartment building, or....

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

From the link you posted: Douglas, however, was quick to point out that Comcast hasn't received reports of performance problems on home hotspots because of added traffic from guest users....

I have to wonder how many people do see performance problems, but chalk it up to Internet issues rather than Comcast's hotspot.

Of course, if someone does see a performance issue, they might call Comcast customer service which, I am sure, would resolve the issue knowledgeably, quickly and adeptly.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog to Gerard1234

Premium Member

to Gerard1234
said by Gerard1234:

I have an DPC 3939 gateway and can not turn it on. It does not even work. Also no IPV6 with this gateway and probably never will have it.

IPv6 will be enabled once the firmware supports v6 but not till then, this is firmware issue on the device..

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to camper

to camper
said by camper:

Of course, if someone does see a performance issue, they might call Comcast customer service which, I am sure, would resolve the issue knowledgeably, quickly and adeptly.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

Has anyone here received one of these "memos" (via email?):

Comcast begins notifying customers: Congrats, your home is a Wi-Fi hotspot
By Daniel Frankel, FierceCable - October 28, 2014
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 14-10-28
quote:
... "Xfinity Wi-Fi will now be available via your existing wireless gateway," reads a bullet-pointed memo sent to Comcast broadband customers.

"The xfinitywifi signal is completely separate from your home Wi-Fi network," it adds. "There will be no impact to the broadband connection to your home, and minimal impact to your home Wi-Fi network."

A Comcast representative has not yet responded to FierceCable's inquiry as to whether the company has notified its customers before about their gateways being used as hotspots. ...

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

To me that is nothing for the end customer to celebrate. That is Comcast's celebration...