spc
Search similar:

uniqs
scottgun
join:2007-09-08
Clearwater, FL

1 recommendation

scottgun

Fios available but landlord won't allow it. Options?

I moved into a nice professionally managed apartment building in September. The buildings were recently renovated. Before moving in, the property manager told me that service was available from the local cable provider, Brighthouse. She also told me that Verizon FiOS was available to some units on the property but that if modifications to the property were needed (drilling holes, running lines), that they would not allow installation.

I was a FiOS customer at my last residence. When I tried to cancel my service, I was prompted by the website to get reconnected at the new apartment. However, when the technician arrived for the appointment, he could not find a line in or a network interface device inside the residence. He concluded that he could not put FiOS in my new apartment.

It's a few weeks later and I just got off the phone with a Verizon sales rep. I told him this story and said that I wanted a plain old residential phone line. He set up the order. I had to agree to a $66 installation and a one month advance pro-rated bill. My installation appointment is 10/18/14 at 8:00 AM.

I believe there are certain regulations or statutes that require or mandate consumer access to basic telecommunications, that would prevent my apartment complex from barring access to Verizon. Perhaps I'm off base. I'd like some help confirming this. Thanks.

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

3 recommendations

pjsutton

They have to let you install a POTS line, but apartment buildings typically get agreements from only one company to service for internet/TV, unfortunately.

See if they will let you get Verizon DSL when your POTS line is ready. But, chances are if the CO offers FIOS they won't let you get DSL.

skipon11
Premium Member
join:2005-06-09
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

skipon11 to scottgun

Premium Member

to scottgun
Maybe this will help.

»news.cnet.com/FCC-bans-e ··· 264.html
scottgun
join:2007-09-08
Clearwater, FL

scottgun to pjsutton

to pjsutton
Yes, that is my plan. Now, as far as whether they will or they won't let me have DSL, are there technical limitations or is this a policy choice by Verizon?

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Could be both, depending on how far you are from the CO. I know in some places that have FIOS they don't allow you to order any services that use the old copper. But, given that they are installing a POTS line for you, that might not be the case here.

wiggie116
Premium Member
join:2013-10-31
Pittsfield, MA

wiggie116 to scottgun

Premium Member

to scottgun
»www.verizon.com/about/ne ··· ic-wire/
If your building had a interface maybe Verizon could use their magic wire...

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by wiggie116:

»www.verizon.com/about/ne ··· ic-wire/
If your building had a interface maybe Verizon could use their magic wire...

That is a good idea but most likely the building management is more conserned with protecting her kick back from the cable company than the look of Verizon's installation.

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

rtfm to scottgun

to scottgun
Of possible interest:

»www.fcc.gov/document/cou ··· -4th-cir

»apps.fcc.gov/edocs_publi ··· 35A1.pdf

»apps.fcc.gov/edocs_publi ··· 89A1.pdf

rollinraver
join:2002-04-27
Buffalo, NY

1 recommendation

rollinraver to pjsutton

to pjsutton
said by pjsutton:

See if they will let you get Verizon DSL when your POTS line is ready. But, chances are if the CO offers FIOS they won't let you get DSL.

Apartment buildings where fios has not been installed are the general exception to the rule. The ordering systems verify the address and see that fios has not been installed, so they allow pots/DSL to flow. In this particular case, since "some" units have fios, the rep may need to send an engineering request to exclude your unit from fios availability due to your landlords BS. You just need to be able to get the rep that knows how to do that. Once engineering updates your particular unit, the order for DSL will flow through.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by rollinraver:

In this particular case, since "some" units have fios, the rep may need to send an engineering request to exclude your unit from fios availability due to your landlords BS.

If they insist that FiOS is available order it and let the installer tell them it is not.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim

Premium Member

said by batterup:

If they insist that FiOS is available order it and let the installer tell them it is not.

Or a better outcome is that the installer actually completes the FIOS install in spite of the landlord.

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
Netcong, NJ

batterup

Premium Member

said by pende_tim:

said by batterup:

Or a better outcome is that the installer actually completes the FIOS install in spite of the landlord.

If that happens he would be in deep doo-doo when Verizon has to go back and take it out and pay to repaint the entire building to cover the patched holes. It would have to be a pole feed building for there even to be a chance of that happening. The company rules are the Installer has to get written permission from the building owner before any new wires are run, this goes for POTS let along a new FiOS install.