Search similar:

uniqs

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

1 recommendation

n2jtx

Uh... No Thanks

Not that I had considered a Belkin router but its needing to contact the "Mother Ship" in order to function is definitely a turn off. Personally I prefer the open source firmware's such a Tomato or DD-WRT rather than the proprietary firmware. I still use a Linksys WRT-54G whose original Linksys firmware was garbage as it kept locking up. I replaced it with Tomato and it has been working fine ever since. Even though there is newer hardware available now, this router serves my needs perfectly.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

1 recommendation

dnoyeB

Kind of reminds me of Steam and exactly why I don't like it. But to do this with hardware is doubly unacceptable. Also why I don't enable auto-updates on anything.

Personally I love my Zyxel router but am angered by it once a month when it forces me to refuse to buy some kind of web monitoring package. On a business level router no less.

PlusOne
@73.160.110.x

1 recommendation

PlusOne to n2jtx

Anon

to n2jtx
said by n2jtx:

Not that I had considered a Belkin router but its needing to contact the "Mother Ship" in order to function is definitely a turn off.

Belkin now says it will make sure their firmware will not lockup if it can't contact their servers. OK. But why did it take years to come to this conclusion. I remember stories here knocking that cloud control years ago. But Belkin did nothing until they got a big black PR punch in the face. I will never buy a Belkin router.

MovieLover76
join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

1 recommendation

MovieLover76 to n2jtx

to n2jtx
I understand your love of open firmware, I run it when possible as well.
But you need to update that WRT-54G, it's heyday is well past lol.

I'm actually on a D-Link DIR-868L provided by optimum, N and AC speeds on 5Ghz are so much better than old 2.4Ghz wireless G
Unfortunately no open firmware for me, but it was given to me for free by optimum and once you see the speed of AC their's no going back.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

1 recommendation

thedragonmas to n2jtx

Premium Member

to n2jtx
i run a shibby mod on my Netgear WNR3500Lv1, i love the feature set i get. problem is it wont simply update, i have to down flash to the small then back up even though it shows it has more than enough ram for the update, and itl "hang" loading router pages (connection time out) im in no way blaming the firmware, i think im in need of a new router but, i want another one i can put 3rd party on. and that has a USB port for log files and the like. cant seem to find a list though, or i fail miserably at searching.

pumpkinhead7
join:2002-06-14
Clarksburg, WV

pumpkinhead7 to dnoyeB

to dnoyeB
Steam works offline, it is only required for the initial install and then will only require periodic checks with the mothership, plus outages have been very few over the years.

Doing this with my router is complete bullcrap and adds no value.
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to PlusOne

to PlusOne
I will never buy a Belkin ANYTHING.
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan to dnoyeB

Premium Member

to dnoyeB
said by dnoyeB:

Kind of reminds me of Steam and exactly why I don't like it.

Yeah I don't like Steam either. My brother struggles with that to play Skyrim, he finally got it to stay (for the most part) stuck in offline mode, since being "online" meant it was constantly shoving ads in his face for games he wasn't interested in, and trying to burn up our bandwidth moving huge game saves up to the "cloud".

GoG.com all the way for me...

sqwibblys
@135.0.118.x

sqwibblys

Anon

I am not sure what you are referring to with steam "constantly shoving ads" anywhere. If you're talking about that popup showing new releases which happens infrequently and at specific predictable times (when you launch steam, or after you close a game), it's trivial to disable it by unchecking the option in Steam settings.

Likewise, any game with cloud saves can have that option disabled in the games properties dialog.

Steam is not perfect--the worst part about it is the ugly non-native UI--but these complaints about it are ill founded. Your brother's struggles seem to be user error.

I know not everyone can be expected to have the level of computer literacy required to read settings dialogs and check/uncheck boxes, but if your brother had simply contacted Steam support they would have walked him through it.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to MovieLover76

Premium Member

to MovieLover76
said by MovieLover76:

I understand your love of open firmware, I run it when possible as well.
But you need to update that WRT-54G, it's heyday is well past lol.

Why do you assume a wireless network? I use wired only and I have a Netgear WNR3500L running SamKnows old firmware. It's not past its day although SamKnows hasn't issued Netgear routers in years but you can still use it if you have it. I hate wireless as that introduces unnecessary security issues so I don't need the latest expensive router.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Netgear WNR3500L running SamKnows old firmware.

thats how i got mine, the second i was passed the 2 year obligation i contacted them for a new "white box" and flashed shibby on it. reason? i had nothing but problems with the DHCP on it, it wouldnt just renew ips on the lan, instead it made them expire first, then a half minute later send a renew, after they lost connection to the network. and a few other quirks (like no qos). so i followed the instructions to flash on the special small samknows version, then the small ddwrt, then shibby tomato. voila! full featured router.

oh yeah you can do the same thing with the tplink routers they use now, though i dont know why any one would want to, those suckers are ugly. and i think its a bottle neck in my network as the hardwired pc to it cant negotiate passed 100Mbps even though its got a Gbit nic.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I was the first SamKnows user in the USA to get the TPLink bridged router. SamKnows CEO sent it to me himself when all he had was a few that they were testing and I had to use the Netgear's power supply as all he had to send me was the UK power supply. He contacted me after reading a post of mine here in a thread about SamKnows where I was complaining that the Netgear router page would not work right with Firefox. So, I reinstated my old Linksy BEFSR41 router and added the TPLink and used that for quite awhile but then my Linksy which was really old by then (8 years) started having problems and I didn't have the money for a new router so I got out the Netgear and it works fine now with Firefox/Pale Moon and has a USB port for Atlas probe.