uniqs

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

[TV] Why record it again when I already saw it?

I was setting up a new TV series to record for Monday nights for DisneyXD's Star Wars Rebel's NEW episodes. Why did my Motorola DCX3510 MR DVR record the repeat of the pilot (right now that started at 7:30 AM PDT)? I checked my series' settings, and it says new episodes only. Guide shows it as new. Shouldn't it be old since I already recorded it on last Friday night, and watched and deleted it on Saturday night?

Am I doing this wrong? Thank you in advance.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

If the guide shows it as New Its new.

Hob

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

Does this "New" thing stays on for a week or something?

Del_Gue
join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

1 recommendation

Del_Gue to antdude

to antdude
The episode is new but it may be showing more than once during the week. On most DVRs to avoid a duplicate recording of the new episode you would need to schedule it to be recorded at a specific time.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by hobgoblin:

Hob

Does this "New" thing stays on for a week or something?

The "new" listing stays as long as the guide provider or whom ever is providing the info for it marks it as new. The box doesn't have any say in it.

CarrierWave
@72.183.76.x

CarrierWave to antdude

Anon

to antdude
That depends on the channel. Some of them (I know Comedy Central does this, not sure about Disney XD) will show the same "new" show 3 or 4 times in a day. Because they are marked as "new" the DVR will record all of them by default. To avoid this go to the DVR manager and tell it to only record one time slot (e.g., 9:00 PM)

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by CarrierWave :

That depends on the channel. Some of them (I know Comedy Central does this, not sure about Disney XD) will show the same "new" show 3 or 4 times in a day. Because they are marked as "new" the DVR will record all of them by default. To avoid this go to the DVR manager and tell it to only record one time slot (e.g., 9:00 PM)

The weird part is that series' option didn't give me an option to set what time. Sometimes I see them and sometimes I don't depending what I want to record. It seems to depend on what channel, show, etc. Weird? Someone told me not to use series recordings because the multiple "new" episodes because they last for a week and to manually record new episode each week. That's annoying!

CarrierWave
@72.183.76.x

CarrierWave

Anon

Any series recording SHOULD be able to limit to one time slot...reboot and see what happens I guess :P

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by CarrierWave :

Any series recording SHOULD be able to limit to one time slot...reboot and see what happens I guess :P

Ugh. I will do that later (not at home to do it).

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
I have been poking around in the guide and the DVR List and I agree. Despite the fact that multiple repeat episodes of Homeland exist my DVR just records and schedules the Sunday 9.00 pm one.

Did you record the initial Pilot as a show or in the series recording. If you recorded it as a show and then set up the series it would have gone back and recorded it again as it did not know you had recorded it.

Hob

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to CarrierWave

Premium Member

to CarrierWave

Details on what I did recently...

Here is what I remember in details in case they help. For last week's Friday night's recording, DVR's guide said it was a movie even though it was an hour long pilot. It wasn't even called series. So I recorded it as an one event movie thing.

Since that is over (watched and deleted last week's Saturday night), I wanted to record the future new regular 30 minutes episodes as a series late last night. However, it still managed to record this morning's hour long pilot episode repeat (Guide said new) at 7:30 AM PDT! I saw it record when I was near by! Schedule list shows no more until the upcoming Monday (13th) night.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Yeah that makes sense...When you created the series it went and looked for episodes to record, it saw the pilot and scheduled it. It had no clue you had already seen it. You should be good going forward.

Hob

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by hobgoblin:

Yeah that makes sense...When you created the series it went and looked for episodes to record, it saw the pilot and scheduled it. It had no clue you had already seen it. You should be good going forward.

Hmm, OK. We'll see! Thanks. Now, I need to fix the conflicts since I am recording The Big Bang Theory, Gotham, Star Wars: Rebels, and Sleeping Hollow on Moday nights. SW:R doesn't seem to give me an option to pick another time to record. :/
Satch
join:2009-11-25

1 recommendation

Satch

I am not sure,

But I think "New" episodes hold their status for 24 hours. If you have it set as a series, "New" episodes only and All airtimes, the show should not record repeat episodes provided that the first instance of the recorded show appears in the Recording log, which holds the data for 10-14 days.

However, Antdude's situation I don't think applies because his show was not even recognized by the guide as a series, it counted it as a movie. My guess is that Navigator saw a "New Movie" that wasn't a movie and recorded the show.

Satch
spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey to antdude

to antdude

Re: [TV] Why record it again when I already saw it?

said by antdude:

Guide shows it as new. Shouldn't it be old since I already recorded it on last Friday night, and watched and deleted it on Saturday night?

Am I doing this wrong

You got the duplicate recording because you deleted the old one. When the next showing came around, marked NEW on the guide, it recorded it. If you hadn't deleted it, then most likely it wouldn't recorded it again.