uniqs

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

Windows 8/8.1/10 wallpaper compression?

I made a thread similar to this about 2 years ago and I am wondering if this is still the case? I once installed Windows 8 and reverted back to Windows 7 just because of the wallpaper issue.

I like using the following sample image. W8 always kept compressing the image and making it look terrible. The before and after picture should be obvious, especially if you look at the red lines.

before (original)

after setting as wallpaper

So does this still happen in W10 so far? I'd really like to know without investing too much time. Thanks~

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

For what it's worth, using DisplayFusion to manage your wallpapers/display would be feasible work-around:

»www.displayfusion.com/Di ··· 6992432f

Tokidoki
Premium Member
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki

Premium Member

said by darcilicious:

For what it's worth, using DisplayFusion to manage your wallpapers/display would be feasible work-around:

»www.displayfusion.com/Di ··· 6992432f

That program okay to use with one monitor right? I'll definitely try it out and buy just for the wallpaper issue. Thanks!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Yup! I use it everywhere, single and dual monitor alike!

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 edit

sivran to Tokidoki

Premium Member

to Tokidoki
Damn. I just can't see it at all. I must've flipped back and forth between the images (at original size) a dozen times or more. Maybe if I save them view offline...

Edit: had to zoom in to 300% to see it.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Tokidoki

Premium Member

to Tokidoki
Are you referring to the black lines being gray in the second image? If so, Windows 8 does that everywhere. I had to install Windowblinds so I could use Verdana bold as the Windows default font and as default on all browsers. Sadly, Win 10 Preview does the same thing...black is gray on it too. Fonts appear spidery thin on Win 8 and above with Windowblinds to fix it and those lines in your screen shot are not black in the second shot.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki to sivran

Premium Member

to sivran
said by sivran:

Damn. I just can't see it at all. I must've flipped back and forth between the images (at original size) a dozen times or more. Maybe if I save them view offline...

Edit: had to zoom in to 300% to see it.

Older eyes may not notice it very well but it is obvious otherwise. You get that ugly compression artifact, slight change in color, etc.