spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Antonin
join:2007-09-23
Rockwood, ON

Antonin

Question - Separate Cables for Internet and TV

A close friend recently relocated to Toronto and is in the process of moving back into a house that they had rented to tenants while they were out of province (for several years). First, they signed up for cable internet from Teksavvy, so Rogers came in and installed a new cable through the back wall to the cable modem without incident. Then, they established a Rogers account for cable TV, and Rogers returned for installation. Interestingly, they insisted on putting a splitter into the existing connection that was already providing internet, rather than installing a new cable for the TV. I was told by the installer that this is standard practice, and will not result in signal degradation for internet or TV. I've always been used to separate incoming cables for internet and TV. Is this now standard, or just the installer not wanting to spend the extra time? Thanks.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

This is a perfectly acceptable installation since the TV and the internet are on the first leg of the drop.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to Antonin

to Antonin
Rogers changed our installation policies 2 or 3 years ago to not requiring a dedicated home run line back to the cse. The logic was, in most cases, we would be drilling an extra hole in a house.
If a 2 way splitter is outside in the cse or off the incoming line at the TV, it's the same quality.

However, TPIA services, still require their own line in, as they are a separate account.
Quality wise, no difference. However it was not done correctly.
But, if they were tenants, this got them up that day as we would've needed a letter of permission to do the drilling.