Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

msn website says it's 49 degrees F in Hawaii

Click for full size
How do I get msn.com to give an accurate temperature for where I live? The weather page there is ok but the main page is way, way off in what it claims is the current temperature here.

(The screenshot is from PaleMoon 25 but even on IE 11 the site doesn't display correctly and still gives the way wrong local temperature).
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Does it give ya the right one here Mele??

»www.msn.com/en-us/weather

When i goto »www.msn.com I dont see a location listed,I have to goto the weather page specifically.....Are you logged in???

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: msn website says it's 49 degrees F in Hawaii

That's strange. Looks like it knows your location, just not the day/time, which is why it may be wrong. Does it ever change from 49 to something else?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re: ‏

No, I am not logged in and I denied cookies to msn.com also yet when I go there it shows my location and the way wrong temp.

Yes, the weather page there shows the correct local temp.
Mele20

Mele20 to GuruGuy

Premium Member

to GuruGuy

Re: msn website says it's 49 degrees F in Hawaii

I don't go there that frequently but I never saw that until now. I wish Microsoft would straighten the site out. The past three days at msn.com it has been completely different layout than the day before. I've been going there the last three days because Pale Moon forum has several threads on the problems there both on Pale Moon 24.7.2, the beta 25 and now official 25 so I wanted to see for myself.

The site is really wacked out on Fx 24.8.0 ESR which is still supported by Mozilla until early next month when I will be automatically internally upgraded to Fx 31. There is no temp or location on Fx 24.8.0. ESR there.

On Pale Moon 24.7.2 there was no location or temp showing but the site was a horrible mess. On Pale Moon 25, the site shows the location and temp. The top portion of the site is unusable as a big mess but if I scroll down the rest of the site is ok on PM 25.

The temp now shows at 53 degrees...utterly weird. National Weather Service says it is 72 here currently and the msn weather page reports it as 72. So, it's what ever is detecting my location on the main MSN page that is messed up as it's probably detecting a temp for a different location.

Hmm...I didn't realize I could click on the cloud, location, or temp and that would take me to the msn weather page where the temp is correct. The incorrect temp is on both IE 11 and Pale Moon 25. The feedback button on the page is working now (it wasn't yesterday) so I gave feedback about it.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
What happens if you click on Hilo on the main page, then the drop down arrow by Hilo, and then detect my location
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I clicked on that and the weather page changed from 71 to 48. It's just all screwed up. I get a gigantic horizontal scroll bar on msn now on Pale Moon 25. On IE 11 I got a popup at the bottom when I clicked on that and it said msn wanted to track me and did I want to allow that. I said "no". I have geolocation disabled on Pale Moon so I assume it is seeing "Hilo" from my IP address. What good is having geolocation disabled?

I'm not going to be going to the site in the future even if they get all their problems straightened out on the new site. The reason is because I have to bypass Proxo to go there. I was confronted with dozens of ads! Ghostery won't work on IE 10 and 11 so I am naked there and NO thanks to that.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Stop using msn? Find a better source of news and weather.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

said by Wily_One:

Stop using msn? Find a better source of news and weather.

+1

gzt7d8
Aliens live amongst us
Premium Member
join:2001-07-13
Traverse City, MI

gzt7d8 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
In my case, MSN detects the city where my ISP provider office is located. I don't live in that city it shows on the web page, I live about 15 miles north of there.

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
It's getting location data from your IP. It says I'm in NYC. I'm not, but my backhaul hits the Internet in NYC.

I'm not sure where it was getting temp data from. Hilo has never been below 53F, and has never been below the low 60s this time of year. I looked at the weather for Bradshaw AFB, which is as cool a reporting station as you get in HI [at 6200ft on the side of Mauna Kea] and they were above 50F this morning.