spc
Search similar:

uniqs

section 319
@74.102.84.x

section 319

Anon

[Other] IP Phone /Google Voice/ Obi?

I currently have my google voice number forwarded to a phone power number,for in and out calls and 911. I have an Obi 110 to connect wirelessly to home handsets.It's OK. I would like to replace the handsets possibly with IP Dect phones.Not sure how this would work and if there is a need for an ATA. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

1 edit

vincom

ip phones are the ata's so no need for the obi unless youre still using reg. phones
for home use imo good ip phones are too expensive and forum support lacking
i would stay with the obi and buy a good set of cordless phones, but thats just me

Section319
@66.249.83.x

Section319

Anon

If I were to get an IP phone would there be a base station that connects to the router and then the base station connects to wireless handsets similar to my analog 5 ghz phones?

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by Section319 :

If I were to get an IP phone would there be a base station that connects to the router and then the base station connects to wireless handsets similar to my analog 5 ghz phones?

Yes exactly.

section319
@71.172.17.x

section319

Anon

OK thanks to you both. Can anyone recommend a good IP phone or a Dect phone? I'm leaning towards DECT because of cost , thanks again

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

said by section319 :

OK thanks to you both. Can anyone recommend a good IP phone or a Dect phone? I'm leaning towards DECT because of cost , thanks again

For DECT, look at V-tech phones. I have a couple of them and they are really good, work for me better than Panasonic.
For IP phones, people who really know recommended me Yealink.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to section319

Premium Member

to section319
Agree with V-tech for DECT phones.

For DECT could also look at Uniden. I've had some of them.

I think that the Radio Shack branded DECT phones are still made by Uniden. Might look for some on sale if/when Radio Shack goes under.
RonR
join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR

RonR to section319

to section319
said by section319 :

Can anyone recommend a good IP phone or a Dect phone? I'm leaning towards DECT because of cost , thanks again

I was recently in the market for a decent quality IP phone but didn't want to spend $200 - $300 for one. I ended up with a Grandstream GXP2140 and I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's a 4 line phone with a 4.3" color display, up to 4 SIP providers, Bluetooth, HD audio (handset and speakerphone), gigabit Ethernet ports with POE, and USB. It can be had for under $100 delivered (power supply included).

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

I think that the Radio Shack branded DECT phones are still made by Uniden.

Some are Uniden under the hood and some are V-Tech under the hood.

Same goes for AT&T branded DECT phones.
said by PX Eliezer1:

Might look for some on sale if/when Radio Shack goes under.

I'm betting on "when" rather than "if"*....

Either way, if one doesn't want to wait too long, every so often RadioShack decides to redesign the packaging on stuff for no good reason, often with new SKUs resulting. The old SKUs end up getting sent to "RMAC" - often without ever getting put on clearance or anything. The trick is to get someone at the store to give you a heads up before they RMAC anything - often that stuff can be sold for arbitrarily tiny prices once the SKU is taken out of the POS but before its RMAC'd. (Unless procedures have changed in the many years that have passed since I worked at that God forsaken hell hole.)
Juste
join:2005-03-11

Juste to RonR

to RonR
Do you know, by chance, whether any of them support a feature similar to Obi Auto Attendant ?
I had a look at their documentation but did not seem to find a "callthru" reference.

Thanks,
RonR
join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

said by Juste:

Do you know, by chance, whether any of them support a feature similar to Obi Auto Attendant ?

Not that I'm aware of.
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds to section 319

to section 319
Can somebody explain to me what is the advantage of an IP phone over ATA+regular (cordless) phone? I have never understood such a proposition. I think they can achieve the same thing, not right?

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

1 recommendation

Trev

Premium Member

said by twinclouds:

Can somebody explain to me what is the advantage of an IP phone over ATA+regular (cordless) phone? I have never understood such a proposition. I think they can achieve the same thing, not right?

You'll have one less transitions between analog and digital with an IP phone (ie. no analog conversion until the signal is transmitted to your ear) which often reduces the affects of echo.

DTMF talkoff is impossible as your end does not need to listen for it and try to interpret.

You'll have much better call control. For example, if you answer a second incoming call, you can talk separately, merge the calls into a conference, separate them out again, etc. Likewise if you place two outbound calls you'll have the same ability. Using an ATA generally only allows you to set up a three way call and then terminate it. No way to separate the call and talk to the parties individually.

With a cordless IP phone set up, you'll be able to answer a second and possible a third or more calls on additional handsets. It's possible to hack this together with ATAs, although the experience is nowhere near as good as an IP phone can offer.

You'll be able to use HD audio.

You'll see Caller ID display instantly instead of waiting for the first ring to finish.

When you dial calls, they begin instantly as there's no need to play all of the tones to the ATA.

I could go on...
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

Thanks. Maybe I am a too primitive user.

section31o
@74.102.84.x

section31o to twinclouds

Anon

to twinclouds
Thanks!