spc
Search similar:

uniqs
johnl1979
join:2014-10-11
Jackson, TN

johnl1979

building a simple personal wisp

First of all i would like to say i barely know what a backhaul is so be gentle please lol. Anyway , on to the question. My father lives right at the end of the hardline for a cable company and i can get 60mb internet installed at his house which by gps is 4.3 miles from my house....in the wrong direction. (Away from cable internet service availability,actually away from anything besides satellite and a wisp with a terrible reputation) so, i want to order the cable at his home in my name and wirelessly bridge it to my house. I am aware i need to check elevations, los, but other than this i know nothing. We are within 50 ft or so elevation wise, i am actually a cable/internet/phone installer so i have access to lots of things most people wont (certain tools, rg11 cable,rg45 etc.) But i have no experience with wireless at this distance. Can someone help me out with the steps to get this done? Equipment recommendations etc? I would greatly appreciate any help. I will answer any questions promptly as this is super important to me, im used to fast internet and im about to go to NO internet if icant figure this out. (Im moving from the city to be near my father)

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

1 recommendation

WHT

Not really a WISP per se, but more like a simple extension of an existing internet source to a single user. There are several onlien tools to verify the line-of-sight path.
»www.ligowave.com/linkcalc/
»airlink.ubnt.com/ but buggy at some elevations
»www.cplus.org/rmw/rmonline.html
»www.towercoverage.com/
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

2 edits

1 recommendation

davidhoffman to johnl1979

Premium Member

to johnl1979
1. Do you have an absolutely clear line of sight from your location to his location? Can you actually see his house from your house?

a. If the answer to number 1 is yes, then you might be able to do a point to point wireless bridge.

b. If the answer to number 1 is no, then on to question 2.

2. Is it possible to install on both properties antenna towers of such height that they would have a clear line of sight of each other?

Possible solutions with absolutely clear LOS are »www.ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber24,
»www.ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber5/,
»www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanobridgem/,
»www.ubnt.com/airmax/airgridm/.

Edit: Add link to re-seller. »www.doubleradius.com/

WHT
Rosston, TX

1 recommendation

WHT

$3,000 for an airFiber link is not worth it.
airGrid is non-MIMO, single-polarity.
NanoBridge, NanoBeam, or PowerBeam would be the better choices.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to johnl1979

MVM

to johnl1979
my house is 4.3 miles from our office where we have 50/8 internet. I put up a 55' tower at home, and installed a pair of 5.8g Nanobridges. the officee end is at about 175' on our tower there. I can get about 90 meg of thru put, just keep in mind this is combined so if I pull 50 meg down I can go up to the office at 40. But if I am uploading to the server at 75 meg I only get at best 15 meg download. just telling you this so you know the 150-300 meg rate is NOT your true thru put.

you will need towers for 4.3 miles, unless one end has a major elevation change from the other with no trees or anything in the way.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to WHT

Premium Member

to WHT
So my batting average is 0.25 with the NanoBridge. Not great, but not the worst.

I read the technical specifications, but I am not understanding why the single polarity non-MIMO of the AirGrid would be no good.

I did not see any cost limitations in the original post, so I put the Air Fiber in there knowing it is an expensive, but really capable, possible solution. It might also future proof the setup if in the future the cable company upgrades into triple digit data transfer rates at affordable prices.

WHT
Rosston, TX

WHT

I'm not saying the airGrid isn't good, rather the NanoBridge, NanoBeam, and PowerBeam are better.

Being single-polarity you'll get half the data speed of MIMO. Also one of the other radios I mentioned has a Gigabit port.

But without clear line of sight plus some, a direct shot won't work. And no...2.4 GHz won't help and 900 MHz would be way too slow.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

OK, thanks, I did not know that about single polarity.

Yes, non-LOS is difficult. I had an installation using a 900 MHz parabolic and an amplifier to communicate with a Verizon cellular tower through 5 miles of trees using 3G EVDO Revision A. A good day was getting 1 Mbps data transfers. Recently AT&T installed antennas on a newly constructed tower at about 1 mile distance, so the user switched to that and does not need the parabolic antenna or the amplifier anymore.