Search similar:

uniqs

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

1 edit

mikedz4

[Connectivity] comcast wifi signal and speed issues

I am having issues with my Comcast gateway. I live in a 4 bedroom house and the speed and signal of Comcast wifi is bad at the opposite end of the house from the gateway. I have the regular gateway as they told me I can't get the dual band one as it isn't compatible with my phone exchange.
How can I improve signal and speed? Getting one bar at the opposite end of the house as the gateway and probably 10 to 15 mbps not the 105 I am supposed to be getting.

Mod Edit to change "Group" from WiFi to Connectivity: The WiFi category refers to Xfinity Hotspot WiFI & related. ~Sunny See Profile

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL

cHarley

Re: [WiFi] comcast wifi signal and speed issues

What make/model gateway did they give you?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

2 edits

Darknessfall to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

I am having issues with my Comcast gateway. I live in a 4 bedroom house and the speed and signal of Comcast wifi is bad at the opposite end of the house from the gateway. I have the regular gateway as they told me I can't get the dual band one as it isn't compatible with my phone exchange.
How can I improve signal and speed? Getting one bar at the opposite end of the house as the gateway and probably 10 to 15 mbps not the 105 I am supposed to be getting.

Hi, mikedz4, remember me from the last time you needed with your wireless(in April)? Did you move? I ask because I remember you mentioning that you were in an apartment the last time. Do you still have your WNR2000? Have you also taken my suggestion from the last time to try to save up some money for some newer wireless adapters?

If you moved, do you still have your TC8305C? Did you change any settings since the last time I talked to you?

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

I moved back in with family. Comcast gave me an arris tg862g/ct gateway. Would the dual band gateway help with signal strength and speed?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by mikedz4:

I moved back in with family. Comcast gave me an arris tg862g/ct gateway. Would the dual band gateway help with signal strength and speed?

Do you still have your Netgear router? The DPC3939 gateway has better range, but you won't even be able to use it's 5 GHz band(if you haven't updated your adapters since the last time I talked to you).

But as you seen before ,you're not going to get the DPC3939 so there's no point of trying.

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL
Motorola MB8600
(Software) pfSense

cHarley to mikedz4

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

Comcast gave me an arris tg862g/ct gateway. Would the dual band gateway help with signal strength and speed?

Did you select the WiFi channel the 862 is using (1, 6 or 11)? Did you pick a channel that's the least congested?

There's some tips in this thread for things to check, specifically checking the setting for the WiFi Output Power Level:
»[WiFi] Very poor WiFi range from Arris TG862

The 862 seems to be known for WiFi performance that's on the poor side when compared to other options. Personally, I've found that wireless routers that have only internal antennas are not the best performers:
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Ho ··· /1678465

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

how can I improve the signal strength and speed? Will adding another router upstairs help or would it be better off going and exchanging it at the Comcast store?
I have a Linksys wrt160n v3 router I can hookup in the bedroom upstairs if that will help with speed and signal issues?
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

sabretooth

Do you have Comcast phone?

mikedz4
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

yes I do