spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned)

[Cable] Robbers Cable & VPN

I'm over at a friend's place, where the internet is run on Robbers Cable, and have noticed something quite interesting.

For some reason, sites like Facebook for example, load rather slowly, but when I use my Hola VPN from just about anywhere, such sites load as quick as can be. I was wondering if anyone may have an explanation for this, or know if the same thing holds true on a TSI cable line. There is one other interesting difference too...

Robbers Cable
Server: Kitchener (Netflash Internet)
Ping: 14 ms
DL: 19.31 mbit
UL: 11.11 mbit

Hola VPN
Server: Kitchener (Netflash Internet)
Ping: 68 ms
DL: 11.39 mbit
UL: 8.90 mbit

Can anyone come up with a possible reason for such an interesting observation?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Offhand, increased ping and reduced d/l and u/l speeds can be explained by having to en/decrypt your traffic,
and to reroute it through the VPN. Offhand though, for your comment "sites load slowly but through VPN
they load quick as can be," do you have any actual baseline data to compare the two, or is that a perceptual
comparison? If you don't, you may want to start gathering some. A tool like wireshark, HTTPWatch or similar
may be a place to start.

My 00000010bits

Regards

kn00tcn
zero-zero
join:2006-04-19
Canada

kn00tcn to MrMazda86

to MrMazda86
well technically, the VPN is one connection, one route, to the same server, while opening FB directly loads multiple things

ground
join:2008-01-16
Toronto, ON

ground to MrMazda86

to MrMazda86
said by MrMazda86:

anyone may have an explanation for this

What DNS are you using? Rogers has terrible DNS. When I was with them I used Google DNS and it was slower compared to Rogers DNS, but much more reliable. So if you do the same that could be the reason.
Expand your moderator at work
coolspot18
join:2012-10-23

coolspot18 to MrMazda86

to MrMazda86

Re: [Cable] Robbers Cable & VPN

said by MrMazda86:

For some reason, sites like Facebook for example, load rather slowly, but when I use my Hola VPN from just about anywhere, such sites load as quick as can be.

Probably a routing or DNS issue.
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned) to ground

to ground
I thought about the DNS, so I turned my laptop into its own DNS provider to get 1ms DNS replies every time.... I just find it interesting that Robbers Cable seems to have this kind of a difference.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

Probably a routing issue.