Biggles
Chocks Away Ginger
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
sweden

Biggles

Premium Member

[WIN7] BOOTMGR is missing

After a recent meltdown ( »[Vista] data recovery ),a Vista, Win7 dual boot config reports bootmgr as missing and will not boot. I have tried all the options available via "repair my computer" from the installion disk and nothing works.
Biggles

Biggles

Premium Member

Problem solved. Bios was pointing to the W7 drive, selecting the vista drive 1st put the world to right.
Quite the happy puppy now.......
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to Biggles

to Biggles

Im glad ya figured it out buddy

Biggles
Chocks Away Ginger
Premium Member
sweden

Biggles

Premium Member

Re: [WIN7] BOOTMGR is missing

question now is what to do about the dual boot....... Vista drive is sick and will fail on me at some point.....cannot boot it without getting errors.....how to be rid of it and the dual boot?

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

OK, so what you're saying that you need to get rid of the Vista drive that holds your boot info?

First you will have to remove the Vista drive and then boot the computer with the operating system installation media. Once you're at the screen that says "Install now", click on "Repair your computer". Select the drive with the Windows 7 installation on it. At the System Recovery Options screen click on Command Prompt.

Once in the command prompt type the following commands...
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /RebuildBcd

Follow the on screen prompts accordingly. Once you have done that you should now have an appropriate boot record and boot BCD on the Windows 7 drive to boot the machine with without the Vista drive.

Biggles
Chocks Away Ginger
Premium Member
sweden

Biggles

Premium Member

Issue there is that W7 drive never shows when the vista drive is disconnected

randavis
74 Challenger 440 4bbl
join:2000-01-19
Blue Springs, MO

randavis to Biggles

to Biggles
I think that you can use NeoSmart Technology's EasyBCD program to do what you want. Click the BCD Backup/Repair button and then select "Change boot drive". Next, click the "Peform Action" button.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

2 recommendations

chachazz to Biggles

Premium Member

to Biggles
Handy Tool:
EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies