spc
Search similar:

uniqs
advicepyro
join:2014-10-12

advicepyro

About to cancel all residential Rogers services - need advice

Hello all,

My home's tv, Internet, and phone services have been on Rogers anywhere from 8 to 13 years, TV being the oldest. Now it's high time for me to move away all services, this time to Bell - not a saving grace by any measure but at least I got a small handful of savings in the short term.

I put in an order earlier last week and the installation for Bell services is scheduled for this Wednesday the 15th. When I called Rogers to cancel they indicated a port request is in their system, but would only be active once the installation tech finishes their work. But then he reminds me that the 30 days would then commence after the request is done... which means a month of useless Rogers services.

I have two options at this point, from my POV: 1) call up Bell early Tuesday, ask them to continue with the port request and postpone installation to next month on the 15th, or 2) let the installation continue this Wednesday, immediately request a cancellation with Rogers, return their equipment ASAP, then kick up a fight if they still insist on charging me for a full month's worth of services.

I'm hoping if anyone has gone with option 2 in the past, if they could chime in to confirm or deny if this is possible. I don't mind if it ends up to be a day or two of unused prorated usage but I do care if there's a wasted $180 for an unused month. My Rogers billing cycle also happens to end on the 15th each month.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

If you don't want the 30 days to go to waste and you don't want to fight with Rogers then you'll want to port your home phone only and cancel the rest on your own. This way you can still use your TV and internet during the 30 day notice period.
advicepyro

advicepyro

Problem is the Bell bundle that I got in place of the Rogers trio of services is that, a bundle. I reckon any promotions in the Bell bundle won't stick if I were to choose having phone now, and then add in the other two next month.

Frankly I'm prepared to argue this out with Rogers as my patience for them has been running thin for months now, especially with their wireless division. Though I suppose what I could do instead is postpone the porting process and installation until next month if it makes it all easier in the end (but still give Rogers a formal cancellation notice soon to initiate the 30 days).
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total

said by advicepyro:

Though I suppose what I could do instead is postpone the porting process and installation until next month if it makes it all easier in the end (but still give Rogers a formal cancellation notice soon to initiate the 30 days).

This is certainly the easiest course of action, and is what I did. It isn't worth arguing this with Rogers since they probably have 'right' on their side and will not give in without a fight.

Let the porting process continue. It needs to be completed before your cancellation occurs anyway.
advicepyro

advicepyro

Thanks for your input.

So what I've done today:
- Called Bell, got them to move the installation date to November 15 plus set that date for the number port. They have supposedly resent a porting request for our home number today - there was one in the system previously but I assume that was voided due to moving the installation date to accommodate the 30 days
- Then called Rogers, who upon me requesting to begin the 30 days, said they will not start the 30 days until they see the request in their system. So the account cancellation request is automatic to begin with, perhaps. I'll still follow up with Rogers to double check.

I remember the Bell rep mentioning to me that it could take weeks (?!) for the request to go through... which would mean I'd get billed for one, two, or more unused weeks if that ever happens?

Hopefully the request comes through tomorrow so this won't be a PITA. I'm also coincidentally in the process of moving both Rogers wireless numbers on my account over to Wind when their contracts expire next month on the 7th and 12th, but there I'm not giving 30 days for fear of Rogers deliberately screwing with the porting process and causing us to lose our cell numbers, especially when jumping to someone like Wind. For that I plan to use the CCTS route if it comes to it, which others on the 'net have reported success with. I may consider also tacking on any unused charges from the residential side if they also crop up, on the basis of this process being delayed by both sides.

Seriously it seems both sides are deliberately making this process a lot more complicated than it should be, with both sides telling me differing instructions on what to do. But for now I'll play (sort of) nicely on the residential side since I haven't seen many examples of people using CCTS to reverse 30 day charges for residential stuff.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by advicepyro:

Seriously it seems both sides are deliberately making this process a lot more complicated than it should be, with both sides telling me differing instructions on what to do.

Of course they are. Welcome to the duopoly, where the consumer's interests come an absolute last place.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to advicepyro

Premium Member

to advicepyro
Do some reading

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· nel=fflb