spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Olat
@99.199.109.x

Olat

Anon

[BC] Gaming ... Vancouver BC

When we signed up for Telus we were told it would be better than Shaw for gaming, but it has been anything but good. Others I know in my area are experiencing the same problem. Can someone on this site please tell the truth for once to what is going on. Ten minutes into any game and the connection becomes unusable and not even a reset of the router helps. We know Telus uses deep packet inspection to prioritize traffic mainly for Optik TV. Is the gaming traffic back benched because it sure seems like it? Don't just say Telus doesn't throttle because there are other ways to slow traffic down. The worst part about this is when we talk to Telus the reply is always "it's above their knowledge base". How convenient.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

I have no issue with gaming in the lower mainland. If you don't give us more details, it will be impossible to help you out.

anoynydwmose
@50.92.190.x

anoynydwmose to Olat

Anon

to Olat
I live in downtown Vancouver and have had absolutely no issues with my gaming through Telus for the last 5 years. I think I lost my connection once when I was getting upgraded from 15mbps to 25mbps, and that was only for about an hour.

Just an anecdote to offset yours.

Darhole
Premium Member
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Asus RT-AC87
Actiontec T3200M

Darhole to Olat

Premium Member

to Olat
Besides the shitty routing leading to higher than desirable pings on a ton of games, the connection is very stable. Telus is reluctant to shell out a few bucks for better peering options stateside. If they don't go through SIX which is free, everything is in Chicago.

For FPS and MOBA's, I understand your frustration. 150 ping is ridiculous to play against guys at 50 ping.
CaptChaos
join:2007-06-28
Richmond, BC

CaptChaos to Olat

to Olat
I have been pretty pleased with gaming performance. Pings are reasonably low and stable.

Olat
@99.199.109.x

Olat

Anon

Can inquire ... what games are you playing?

spock8
join:2012-07-08

spock8

I prefer telus over shaw for gaming. The pings are quite a bit more stable, especially heading to California.

Please provide us with some more information. Like server IP's and games.

Olat
@99.199.109.x

Olat

Anon

It makes no difference which games we play anymore 10 minutes into it and our connection dies. We have played online games for years and now our connection is useless for it. A few people on this site say their connection is perfect well then you are the minority because everyone I know with Telus has the same trouble we do. I have inquired on the shaw forum as to whether or not they would be better and can never get an answer other than being harassed from Telus moderators. I am pretty sure the monopoly companies in Canada defend each other. It's sickening making sure they all get enough of the pie, but keeping out more competition. Nice little rant I just had.

Cheers
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by Olat :

It makes no difference which games we play anymore 10 minutes into it and our connection dies. We have played online games for years and now our connection is useless for it. A few people on this site say their connection is perfect well then you are the minority because everyone I know with Telus has the same trouble we do. I have inquired on the shaw forum as to whether or not they would be better and can never get an answer other than being harassed from Telus moderators. I am pretty sure the monopoly companies in Canada defend each other. It's sickening making sure they all get enough of the pie, but keeping out more competition. Nice little rant I just had.

Cheers

First of all there is no conspiracy with TELUS blocking you and other user to play games.

You may have an issue with your connection but you haven't given us any details regarding what type of services you have with TELUS, where you are located, What games you are playing etc...

Olat
@99.199.109.x

Olat

Anon

I will be honest here, I think you are either not telling the truth or just don't know. Telus may not throttle , but I am quite sure they use deep packet inspection and QoS technologies. As said ... 10 minutes into any game and we can tell without a doubt, the connection changes, it becomes sluggish and latency for gaming is unbearable. The only thing we can do is to quit for half an hour or so and then try again to see if the connection has returned to normal and then the process repeats. Everyone I know is experiencing this. Considering there is no way to test if gaming traffic QoS is set to low priority I can only go by how it feels.
Other than gaming the connection is fine, good speed when downloading files. We have the Optik 50/10 plan.

spock8

spock8

How are you sure that they use DPI and QoS. All you have given so far is an uneducated opinion.

Do us and yourself a favour, register and post some server IP's and traceroutes
Lyk9
join:2013-08-21
canada

Lyk9 to Olat

to Olat
I think It would really help your troubleshooting if you gave some info like what time of the day you get these slow speeds, if you are using wireless and have you tried a wired connection. What games do you experience these problems the most on, and how exactly do these connection issue manifest themselves? Do you get rubber banding, delayed input, disconnects from servers, or just really high latency.

GaiaChaos
The Illusion of Gaia
join:2006-11-08
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

GaiaChaos to Olat

to Olat
said by Olat :

Considering there is no way to test if gaming traffic QoS is set to low priority I can only go by how it feels.

It seems very likely because I know some Telus Optik customers with the same problem. Highest priority for TV, lowest priority for gaming/p2p applications (anything with concurrent connections) after an X amount of time. Changing the settings can impact the TV's streaming quality, so you can't really get the best of both worlds.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the QoS is done via your router.

Darhole
Premium Member
Edmonton, AB
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Asus RT-AC87
Actiontec T3200M

Darhole

Premium Member

said by GaiaChaos:

said by Olat :

Considering there is no way to test if gaming traffic QoS is set to low priority I can only go by how it feels.

It seems very likely because I know some Telus Optik customers with the same problem. Highest priority for TV, lowest priority for gaming/p2p applications (anything with concurrent connections) after an X amount of time. Changing the settings can impact the TV's streaming quality, so you can't really get the best of both worlds.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the QoS is done via your router.

The optik tv connections are provisioned with enough overhead to cover the TV streams without affecting your upload/download speeds. For example a 50 being sync'd at 76 gives enough room for the TV to run every stream concurrently and your speedtest will still pull 50

Olat
@99.199.109.x

Olat

Anon

Sure the ping test will show around 50 Mbps, but if I am recording 1 or 2 TV programs and I try to game online it's a bust. Shooter games don't need all that much bandwidth so why does the connection for gaming suffer when recording TV programs? When we have talked to Telus they say when gaming, stop doing everything else, turn off devices. If there is plenty of overhead there should be no problem.
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by Olat :

Sure the ping test will show around 50 Mbps, but if I am recording 1 or 2 TV programs and I try to game online it's a bust. Shooter games don't need all that much bandwidth so why does the connection for gaming suffer when recording TV programs? When we have talked to Telus they say when gaming, stop doing everything else, turn off devices. If there is plenty of overhead there should be no problem.

That's BS. Again, I invite you to register and share some information with us if you want your problem resolved.

spock8

spock8 to Olat

to Olat
said by Olat :

That is the same BS that I got from Shaw L&R when I told then that I was going to Telus. I have 25Meg and sync around 35meg or something. I can be recording a couple of shows and my gaming ping doesn't suffer at all.

Olat
@99.199.109.x

Olat

Anon

Forgive me, but ...You are all a load of crap! We have run every test and talking to Telus tech support and one thing is for sure, none of you know anything about whether Telus does or does not hamper online game play. Other than just saying they don't you have no evidence to support your claim, where as myself and many others I know are having the exact same problem the way the connection changes when gaming and in the same amount of time. I am starting to suspect it's written into the firmware of the router we are given, maybe that's one reason they don't let you use your own router. Other than taking a chance on another provider there is nothing to be done. I will not post again, it's pointless. Good riddance to you all.
Symtex
Burnaby, BC

Symtex

said by Olat :

Forgive me, but ...You are all a load of crap! We have run every test and talking to Telus tech support and one thing is for sure, none of you know anything about whether Telus does or does not hamper online game play. Other than just saying they don't you have no evidence to support your claim, where as myself and many others I know are having the exact same problem the way the connection changes when gaming and in the same amount of time. I am starting to suspect it's written into the firmware of the router we are given, maybe that's one reason they don't let you use your own router. Other than taking a chance on another provider there is nothing to be done. I will not post again, it's pointless. Good riddance to you all.

Paranoid much ? I stated numerous time that would need to share more information before I we can even comment on your gaming issue. There is certain area in that have deep packet inspection and throttle traffic in very congested area. Since we have no idea where you are located, we cannot make that determinate whether you are impacted or not by this.

Darhole
Premium Member
Edmonton, AB
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Asus RT-AC87
Actiontec T3200M

Darhole to Olat

Premium Member

to Olat
said by Olat :

Yes, all the long time registered members here with working knowledge and experience of networking and DSL, who are active Telus customers are full of crap.

Or maybe you are just a troll.

Telus does not target 'gaming traffic' and throttle it.
Running the TV should not affect you in any way shape or form for your other traffic.

Register here and post some details and we can try and isolate your issue, or don't, and go away.
Trencher
join:2007-02-12
Etobicoke, ON

Trencher to Olat

to Olat
I think the only person full of crap here... is you?... just saying.
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy to Darhole

to Darhole
said by Darhole:

Besides the shitty routing leading to higher than desirable pings on a ton of games, the connection is very stable. Telus is reluctant to shell out a few bucks for better peering options stateside. If they don't go through SIX which is free, everything is in Chicago.

For FPS and MOBA's, I understand your frustration. 150 ping is ridiculous to play against guys at

You need to play better games. :P Come and play Xonotic its got pretty good net code and I play 180-200 ping on the EU servers.