Search similar:

uniqs

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

"Detroit lost more than 1 million residents and three-quarters of its...

...retail businesses on its way to bankruptcy.

Now Comcast Corp. wants to go, too."

I'm not unsympathetic to those that are left, but as communities unwind/implode they can become areas undesirable to serve and unprofitable to do business in.
Now most of the new Greatland cities aren't in Detroit shoes (poster child for disaster ), just within the same geographic area.
I'm sure most franchise contain exit language, that define the 'how to' of sale or abandonment.

" Comcast is leaving these cities so that they can get below a 30 percent market share of US pay-TV homes, a requirement set by federal regulators "

The 30% was wishful thinking left over from FCC dreams of power, that courts said they didn't have, and perhaps is a step in the wrong direction, if the idea of " ONE WIRE TO SERVE THEM ALL" is the end goal.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

So by purposely misinterpreting the goal of the FCC what you're really saying is you'd prefer a nationwide ISP monopoly. I'll keep that in mind the next time you post something about cable ISPs.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by sonicmerlin:

So by purposely misinterpreting the goal of the FCC ...

I would like to see one or more broadband capable "wires" to as many homes as possible, and placing an artificial barrier to one of the most sucecessful companies doing that, purely as a bureaucratic power grab, as being counter productive to that goal.
gaforces (banned)
United We Stand, Divided We Fall
join:2002-04-07
Santa Cruz, CA

1 recommendation

gaforces (banned) to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: "Detroit lost more than 1 million residents and three-quarters of its...

said by tshirt:

ONE WIRE TO SERVE THEM ALL

Would be nice, city takes over the plant, installs 10 interfaces for outside company's to bid for. Then we could have 10 pay cable company's to choose from.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt

Correct. The 30% line is not written in law but I do think it is a significant factor that the DOJ and FCC take into consideration when reviewing a merger.

KennyWestt
@98.28.97.x

KennyWestt to tshirt

Anon

to tshirt

The thing is, you can obtain more ISPs on the Comcast, TWC, Charter, Suddenlink, Mediacom, NewWave, and other MSO networks. The thing is, it's all kept out of the news as the news media doesn't wish for you to know this. The same as it was kept out about U-Verse until only a couple companies were able to obtain it only years later. Those who control the media control what you know and that's it. But you have options on Comcast.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to gaforces

Premium Member

to gaforces
said by gaforces:

Would be nice, city takes over the plant, installs 10 interfaces for outside company's to bid for. Then we could have 10 pay cable company's to choose from.

A} it is unlikely that the city can get the plant for less than it's current value and Detroit has NO MONEY (currently in a bankruptcy court)
B} Most people really don't want the gov't involved with their internet, let alone being the owner.
C} Do you really think the content would cost LESS? I sure don't.

But I do believe that cable can build out to cover more territory more quickly then anything but wireless, and bring reasonable internet speed to more people at more reasonable prices then wireless.

KennyWest
@98.28.97.x

KennyWest

Anon

This shouldn't be an issue though WOW also services Detroit. There is no reason why to force a private company to service a company that has no money. The city and the people are broke. There is nothing there. The state would be smart to actually level the city and start over.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

said by KennyWest :

This shouldn't be an issue though WOW also services Detroit. There is no reason why to force a private company to service a company that has no money. The city and the people are broke. There is nothing there. The state would be smart to actually level the city and start over.

Oh, so can the city get back the millions they gave Comcast in tax breaks then?

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by Bill Neilson:

Oh, so can the city get back the millions they gave Comcast in tax breaks then?

Tax breaks aren't CASH, merely reductions in taxes paid, for whatever reasons the city AGREED to.
In the mean time Comcast provided services, JOBS (may or may not be city residents), some taxes (the deductions are usually a fairly small percentage of the total)
However at a certain point the value of the franchise is less and projected to remain less then the return, and like the big 3 leaving is the only choice.
Even rats are smart enough to leave a sinking ship.