uniqs
jrh1222
Premium Member
join:2007-02-24
Santa Monica, CA

jrh1222

Premium Member

[Networking] changing local network address block

My service is Verizon FiOS, and I have the Actiontec MI424WR Rev I.

I recently decided I wanted to set up an OpenVPN server to which I can more securely connect from public access WiFI when I am away from home. I have successfully set this up and tested it.

Regarding the non-routable address block used for the local network, OpenVPN suggests "... it's important to select addresses that minimize the probability of IP address or subnet conflicts ..." such as "... remote access connections from sites which are using private subnets which conflict with your VPN subnets."

»openvpn.net/index.php/op ··· umbering

So, I want to change the local network address block from the default. I know how to do this, but want to ensure that I change all instances of the current address or block. I thought of saving the current configuration to a file and examining that, but found that the file is encrypted and thus not readable.

An example of a change I know I'll need to make is in the port forwarding rules. I notice that there are rules which seem to have been preconfigured by Verizon or Actiontec. As an aside, would these be automatically changed when I change the LAN address block?

Anyone have any insight or suggestions?

Thanks.

jrh
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

Those are based off port triggers so after configuring the new local ip you should be able to reboot the set top box's and they will auto assign/configure
jrh1222
Premium Member
join:2007-02-24
Santa Monica, CA

jrh1222

Premium Member

Thanks, that's helpful.