thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

[Tech] generic vs brand batteries. expiriances?

mods: wasnt sure where this should go, if this is the wrong place please move the post

question, i have a canon FS100 in need of a new BP-808 battery (this one wont charge above 80% now), but im experiencing sticker shock at the price of "genuine" batteries. and noticed that for about 10x less (in come cases) i can get a "decoded" generic, even found an energizer replacement for about half the price of genuine.

so, i just wanted to know your folks experiences with generic, or in the case of the energizer "off brand" (meaning name brand, but not specifically made by the camera manu) batteries?

i dont use the camera for anything major, rarely use it out doors for that matter so it probably wouldn't be exposed to extremes, but id really hate to cheap out and have a battery blow up the camera just because i wanted to save some money.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

rcroning

Premium Member

Re: generic vs brand batteries. expiriances?

A lot of the time OEM batteries have circuitry built in that communicates with the camera. The cheap after-market one do or may not have this and the camera cannot read battery level/condition etc.

My GF recently bought replacement batts off ebay for her Canon camcorder. They were 1/6th the cost of OEM but absolute garbage. If the after-market batts support the camera and vice versa, then that's a different scenario.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
3 out of 4 batteries for my Canon DSLR are not Canon. I purchased from a reputable retailer. Be wary of one that say they are OEM but are way cheaper than anywhere else. Those are counterfeit and I would not use them.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

2 recommendations

vaxvms to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
My experience is that the "generic" batteries have a shorter life time. I've had to throw away the "generic" batteries lots sooner than the mfg battery.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to rcroning

Premium Member

to rcroning
said by rcroning:

A lot of the time OEM batteries have circuitry built in that communicates with the camera. The cheap after-market one do or may not have this and the camera cannot read battery level/condition etc.

Bower is selling some for Canon that claims to have the identical chip in it that's in the Canon battery.

I'd say, I've had better luck with OEM batteries.

ITICharlie1
Ass Mode
Premium Member
join:2003-01-22
Saint Louis, MO

ITICharlie1 to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
The only non-Canon batteries I have used have been from Sterlingtek, and have had great luck for them. I've recently just replace a pair that are over five years old. These are the BP-511A for my 40D.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
3rd Party batteries though can often be higher capacity than the OEM's I have had good luck with them in a variety of devices from cameras to phones.
Hayward0

Hayward0 to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

My experience is that the "generic" batteries have a shorter life time. I've had to throw away the "generic" batteries lots sooner than the mfg battery.

Not fair to say as blanket fact.
I have had opposite experience, similar lifetime, and often higher capacity by like 25%

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

thanks guys, in looking around i saw a lot that had pictures of 2000mAh battery packs, but descriptions of 900mAh, it may just be me but that screams of "stay away". others i saw the same 2000mAh in the picture, but no mention of rating in the description. i was unable to find any sterlingtek at the moment. i did find one i may try later that states the same mAh in the image and states that its guarantied to work with the battery gauge on the LCD (even has it listed as a refundable if it doesnt) and a 2 year warranty.

but, seems a few drain and charge cycles woke it up. i checked run time just to be sure it wasnt simply recalculating the gauge, its lost about 20 minutes of run time. i can live with that for now.

again thanks for the input

bfreas
Premium Member
join:2001-06-16
Franklin, KY

bfreas to thedragonmas

Premium Member

to thedragonmas
I bought a pair of Wasabi LP-E6 batteries from Amazon and they have been great. Mostly very good reviews also. Tried two from Sterlingtek and one was DOA and the other wouldn't charge after about 6 months. Here's a link to the BP-808's: »www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Po ··· i+BP-808