Search similar:

uniqs
Parneli
join:2004-12-28
Naperville, IL

Parneli

AT&T gigabit coming to Chi and some suburbs

Tribune:

AT&T said Tuesday it will expand its fiber network to Chicago, as it competes with Google and others to provide super-fast Internet speeds.

AT&T said its fiber network can deliver speeds of up to one gigabit per second, about 100 times the national average. At that rate, a user can download 25 songs in one second.

The Dallas-based company announced in April that Chicago was one of 100 cities nationwide it was considering for the expansion of its fiber network. The other candidates in Illinois were the suburbs of Des Plaines, Glenview, Lombard, Mount Prospect, Naperville, Park Ridge, Skokie and Wheaton.

AT&T did not provide information Tuesday about whether those suburbs will also receive the fiber network.

In the race to get cities super-fast Internet, the question is whether the service will be affordable. AT&T said it will announce pricing and availability in the Chicago market at a later date.

In Austin, Texas, where AT&T has installed its fiber network, the one-gigabit-per-second service, is available for $70 a month, according to published reports.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

Just more 'fiber to the press' info...

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to Parneli

Premium Member

to Parneli
$70 a month? I'll believe it when I see it. Think I'm paying $55 for 15/2 on uverse right now

pr1mo
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Chicago, IL

pr1mo to Parneli

Premium Member

to Parneli
It'd be nice and I hope it's legit. I'd pay $70/month in a heartbeat. I'm paying Xfinity ~$84/month for roughly 58/12 (mbps). Wondering about either downgrading or trying to somehow weasel a smaller bill.
slk2k
Harsh Light Of Truth
join:2002-12-05
Aurora, IL

slk2k to Parneli

to Parneli
I bet they will hit the suburbs/areas that already have healthy competition and more affluent neighborhoods (e.g. redlining). Still can't get Uverse at my house.
No dslam installs planned in my 18 year old neighborhood because apparently, we don't matter like Wheaton or Naperville which has nearly completed a FTTN rollout throughout the cities ......

VegasMan
Living the Vegas life.
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Las Vegas, NV

VegasMan to Parneli

Premium Member

to Parneli
Not that I'll get an increase in speed anytime soon but AT&T has installed a second VRAD across the street from me. It's still waiting on a ComEd meter but it looks like it should be done soon. It would be nice to have more than 6Mb.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to Jon5

MVM

to Jon5
From what I've read, that $70/month is if you allow AT&T to deep-packet-inspect and monitor all of your activity for sale to advertisers. If you want to opt-out of that, then you pay $100/month.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

said by andyross:

From what I've read, that $70/month is if you allow AT&T to deep-packet-inspect and monitor all of your activity for sale to advertisers. If you want to opt-out of that, then you pay $100/month.

Not to be all tinfoil hat but to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't already doing it and just not openly telling anyone. I mean, what percentage of people actually read the TOS for any service?

drmorley
MVM
join:2000-12-20
Three Lakes, WI

drmorley to Parneli

MVM

to Parneli
Wow, Park Ridge might get some love from ATT? I'll take the plunge if and when it becomes available.