Premium Member

[Firefox] FireFox 31.2.0 ESR is Available

FF 31.2.0 ESR is on the FTP server now :

»ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/fire ··· .2.0esr/

Shortly, it will be on the usual website page too :

»www.mozilla.org/en-US/fi ··· ons/all/

Also watch for the upcoming PORTABLE Edition HERE :

»sourceforge.net/projects ··· e%20Ed./

I believe that there will only be a 31.x version of this ESR edition, and that folks like me, who are using FF 24.x ESR should expect that FF 31.x ESR will be pushed soon thru the update channel.

Therefive, we are at a crossroads regarding moving to using Australis UI (and optionally taming it with the Classic Theme Restorer extension), or making PaleMoon, SeaMonkey, or one of the other browsers our main choice, going forward.

Cheers !
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

It will be pushed internally the day (or day after) Fx 24x ESR goes EOL. I think that doesn't happen for about two more weeks. It will be announced in the ESR listserve. I have not checked email yet today but as of yesterday there was no announcement.

I'm wondering if I can somehow update my full theme just before I push the internal update button? I have to use an OLDER version of my theme currently as the latest version is designed for Australis versions. I wonder if I can download the Australis version of the theme, but not complete the install by rebooting, but instead push the internal update button? Would that mean that Mozilla would accept the theme (when it checks the compatibility of my extensions and themes) and it would update to Fx 31.2 ESR and the newer version of the theme? It would be a lot easier to deal with Australis in the beginning, I think, using MY theme instead of the default which is not even available on Fx 24.8 ESR....don't know why but Addons says the default theme is incompatible with 24.8.0 and it is disabled. Seems nutty to me...is there a 24.8.1? The default theme says it is 24.8.1 but I have Fx 24.8.0 ESR.

I have Pale Moon as default now and don't plan to change that, but I still plan to upgrade Fx and see for myself how it works with the CTR extension to bring back the classic interface.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I just checked and we are part way there already.

As of now, at »www.mozilla.org/en-US/fi ··· ons/all/ , there is only 31.2.0 available and no more 24.x series.

Plus, the FTP server shows no further 24.x series, just 31.2.0 is there too.

Along with PM & SM, I have been testing Australis since FF 29 along with CTR, and as much as I object to the principle of the arbitrary bullshit being forced down our collective throats by Mozilla switching FireFox to Australis, I must admit that CTR does a bang-up job of fixing all of that, and what's more, we get to choose which elements of Australis to abandon or keep, such as hanging onto the 'Movable Bookmark Star'.

I also prefer better the dialogue of FireFox as of version 30 or 31, regarding how manual updates are administrated, compared to PaleMoon's current way.

But I'm torn.

There are things which I prefer about PaleMoon too.

The PM install is smaller from not having to add the code-bloat which is Australis in the first place, then not having to add more code which is CTR to undo it.

Also, the PM 'Searchable thumbnails' screen is a move of genius, and I don't think that ANYONE else offers THAT.

Not completely sure about your theme issue and how to handle that, but you COULD do an separate install of FF 24.x ESR in PORTABLE edition, put whatever theme you wish into it, and then test how the 31.x ESR update applies itself, without hurting your main install yet.

The highest Portable edition of FF 24.x ESR seems to be 24.7.0 , still available at the link in my OP, a few lines down on its page.
Davesnothere

3 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

UH-OH, The Future is NOW !!!

UPDATE (Literally) :

I just did a bare test install of Portable FireFox 24.7.0 ESR, turned off auto updating, customized it best I could, and then asked it manually to check for updates.

It did the old 'drive-by', 'unknown version until AFTER the restart' updating routine for which FF was notorious, and when it came back, it had pushed 31.2.0 ESR already !

So LOOK OUT, y'all !!!
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

BTW, I have a regular install of FF 24.8.1 ESR on my test machine, and its default theme version number matches.

It was updated from a previous version to 24.7.0 to 24.8.0 to 24.8.1 thru manual updates, at times when each of those versions was the highest available.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

This is a bit weird. I thought I had 24.8.1 but I have 24.8.0 ...at least that is what about:Fx says...but then how did I get the default theme (that I am not using) updated to 24.8.1 if the browser is still at 24.8.0? I've had some mild corruption in the profile for ages now...I don't have visible problems except that the troubleshooting page the bottom part is blank where it should show important user modifications. Anyhow, maybe the corruption is worse now and so somehow I didn't get 24.8.1 actually installed? Anyhow, maybe I should abandon the profile and start fresh....but I have so many about:config modifications I am leery of doing that. Upgrade to PM 25 screwed me on some modification and I had to do them again.

I just got back from a midnight foray to get bottled water and toilet tissue A lot of stores are already out of water and tt on Oahu and no water at Target tonight but a local grocery had some. Ana is expected to reach hurricane status today and currently predicted to hit Honolulu Sunday at 2PM. A weather plane from the mainland is expected here later today to fly over it and another plane on Wednesday from the Mainland so maybe with more information we will find it is not going to hit Hawaii. Nonetheless, I am a bit distracted so may just leave this Fx update for now.

The ESR list serv has announcement about Fx 31.2.0 having been released Tuesday but nothing about already receiving it via internal update. However, there is that bug in Fx24x so that if anything is there it gets it...it doesn't just notify you.
Mele20

Mele20

Premium Member

Aha...I purposely used Fx for the above post because I wanted to see if it was this site or Pale Moon causing no automatic update of the thread after I post. It's a bug in Pale Moon 25 because Fx 24.8.0 ESR refreshed the thread almost immediately after I hit "post now". Sigh and ugh as I want that ability back on Pale Moon!!!
Mele20

Mele20 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
Did you see this:
»SSL 3.0 vulnerability and Firefox

The Addon will not install on Fx24x ESR or on Pale Moon 25. UGH. Does the addon install on Fx 31x ESR?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Aha...I purposely used Fx for the above post because I wanted to see if it was this site or Pale Moon causing no automatic update of the thread after I post. It's a bug in Pale Moon 25 because Fx 24.8.0 ESR refreshed the thread almost immediately after I hit "post now". Sigh and ugh as I want that ability back on Pale Moon!!!

Same here, and my PM 25 has that anomaly too, as I believe that I also posted here in a PM thread the other day.

Has anyone posted about this bug at PM's own forum ?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Just reported it.

»forum.palemoon.org/viewt ··· 9#p38799
Mele20

Mele20 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
I got the Mozilla addon that fixes the POODLE vulnerability to install on Fx 24x and PM 25 by editing the install.rdf file which was set to Fx26 as minimum. But one can instead change the preference in about:config.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I got the Mozilla addon that fixes the POODLE vulnerability to install on Fx 24x and PM 25 by editing the install.rdf file which was set to Fx26 as minimum. But one can instead change the preference in about:config.

I had not responded so far in the current thread about that issue, and I see that you had already mentioned this in its own thread, where I have also posted now.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

PORTABLE Edition is now up, thru the link in my OP.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: [Firefox] FireFox 31.2.0 ESR is Available

Watch out if you haven't upgraded yet. There is a bug in 31.1 and 31.2 ESR that causes the browser to crash and not run at all because the installers are not properly cleaning out the cruft from 24x ESR in Fx Program files. There are a number of posts today in the ESR list serv about this issue. A bug on this has been reopened at Bugzilla.

It's not a big problem for individual users like us as you can manually clean the cruft out and then Fx 31 ESR no longer crashes. It is a potentially big problem for enterprises because they may have thousands of computers crashing after upgrading.

»bugzilla.mozilla.org/sho ··· =1055766

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

And this issue has had the following result :

»Mozilla has stopped updates from 24.8.1 ESR to 31.2 ESR