spc
Search similar:

uniqs
civil
join:2014-10-14

civil

Help with Maxx and reduced speeds (NYC)

Good People,

First, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. If it has and I didn't find it, please direct me to the thread.

A couple of weekends ago I was lucky enough to receive an updated modem (Arris DG1670A) as well as the updated speeds. I was relieved to finally have an all-in-one modem/wireless router so I could ditch my aging Netgear router. After installation I was surprised that I couldn't turn on the wireless function, then I understood that I needed to pay an extra $5 to enable that feature...

Not wanting to give TWC any more of my money I dug my Netgear router out of my donation box (literally) and reinstalled my old setup, only with my new Arris instead of the old RCA modem I had. That's when the troubles began.

Since then my service has been erratic at the best of times and dial-up-worthy at others. I've got my setup so that my desktop is plugged in directly to the Arris and the Netgear is plugged into the Arris for wireless. Both my wired and wireless connections go out randomly, or if not will slow to a painful crawl. It's my understanding that TWC can detect my "unauthorized" setup and throttle my speeds. Now, I'm not sure if that is accurate or merely disgruntled customers but if so I also believe there are settings I can put in place via my modem's dashboard to skirt around these issues. That's what I've been looking for, but have yet to find. I know there are things I can post to the forum but frankly I'm not sure how to do so. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

Firstly what service do you subscribe to?

" It's my understanding that TWC can detect my "unauthorized" setup and throttle my speeds. Now, I'm not sure if that is accurate or merely disgruntled customers but if so I also believe there are settings I can put in place via my modem's dashboard to skirt around these issues. That's what I've been looking for, but have yet to find."

Yeah that is not happening.

Have you at least called in?

Hob

anon_5224
join:2001-10-23
united state
Asus RT-AC66

anon_5224 to civil

to civil
if you have anything lower than Extreme HSD then wi-fi is an extra cost. there are a few threads and google results about the DG1670's poor bridging function but if it's not bridged yet then that could very well be one reason for your 'erratic' or intermittent service. call in and ask for Tier 3 support as they should be able to remote manage your modem and optimize your setup. there is no attempt on TWC's part to 'authorize' anyone's setup, short of a TOS violation of course. your new modem probably just needs to be configured by someone with the right access and skills. call in!

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

In Maxx areas Turbo or higher the wifi will be free.