spc
Search similar:

uniqs
KJabs
join:2014-10-14

KJabs

ASUS RT-N66U Internal VPN Not Working

Hi All,

I have an ASUS RT-N66U with the Merlin firmware; latest version. I'm using Merlin for a few of the additional features (supposedly *better* VPN, as well as better Wake on LAN, etc.).

I've been working on trying to activate the VPN server. It's turned on, and in status it says it's running. I've created accounts and tried to connect from a Windows 8.1 PC as well as Windows 8.1 Surface RT, to it to no avail. I've created an account for a friend, and he cannot connect either from his MacBook Pro.

He has also portscanned my IP and sees ports open for things like xbox, etc, but does not see any ports open for VPN. I was wondering if ports really needed to be opened since the VPN is built in, but that's just a side note since it's not working either way.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

Try following these instructions. Make sure your using the correct version of the software first.

»support.hidemyass.com/hc ··· 03924553
KJabs

KJabs

Thanks for the response, but sadly that article isn't applicable. I searched the site for articles that do apply, and didn't find any.

All of the articles on that site, talk about setting up your router to connect your entire home network to a VPN server.

What I'm trying to do is setup a VPN SERVER on my router, so I can connect into my home while I'm elsewhere (school, coffee shop, whatever).

I want to use PPTP because I have a Surface RT tablet and I don't think OpenVPN works with that ... if that's incorrect, please correct me!
KJabs

KJabs

bump
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to KJabs

MVM

to KJabs
said by KJabs:

I want to use PPTP

said by KJabs:

but does not see any ports open for VPN.

Well I'd say that's the first place to start with this... PPTP uses TCP1723. If your ASUS isn't letting that in, I'd start with that.

My 00000010bits

Regards
KJabs

KJabs

Excellent point. But, what would I forward it from? 192.168.1.1? Don't forget, the router itself is supposed to be running the server...
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to KJabs

MVM

to KJabs
Not having worked with Merlin, I can't say exactly. Offhand, where I'd start is ensuring that on the WAN interface, there's the equivalent
of a "permit any source to any destination that equals TCP/1723 traffic" for all unsolicited inbound traffic.

My 00000010bits

Regards
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·Fido
MikroTik RB750Gr3
MikroTik wAP AC
Panasonic KX-TGP500

grand total to KJabs

to KJabs
said by KJabs:

He has also portscanned my IP and sees ports open for things like xbox, etc, but does not see any ports open for VPN. I was wondering if ports really needed to be opened since the VPN is built in, but that's just a side note since it's not working either way.

Any ideas?

Port 1723 should be open.

After you enabled the VPN with the sliding switch did you remember to click the Apply button at the bottom of the VPN Server tab (beneath the username and password set up)?
KJabs

KJabs to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
Merlin is the stock ASUS build with a few tweaks. Nothing too different.
KJabs

KJabs to grand total

to grand total
Yes, although thanks for that ... sometimes I do overlook the obvious. The VPN Status page says PPTP is running...
KJabs

KJabs

bump
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

You'll find lots of help (and the author of the Merlin code) in the Merlin forum here: »forums.smallnetbuilder.c ··· php?f=42

jcouch93
join:2002-01-29
Kennesaw, GA

jcouch93 to KJabs

to KJabs
What I did was I enabled the VPN server and tested internally first. That eliminates the WAN side of the house so that you don't have to worry about that. So just set up your VPN client profile with the internal IP of the server (it's LAN address) and see if you can't access it. I ran into an issue where the Windows FW was blocking the ports that PPTP needed, so that might be something to check. One last thing, if you have an Android phone you can set up a quick and simple VPN and test that way too.

smunro622
Premium Member
join:2006-02-15
united state

smunro622 to KJabs

Premium Member

to KJabs
kjabs hit me up on PM i have open vpn running on the same HW and 6/4 tunnel... let me see what i can do to help ya