All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
clawfury
join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI

clawfury

[WoD] So, someone explain this to me....

Why are people complaining about the healing? I got on my resto druid last night (545 ilvl) and healed a few UBRS. I don't see what the big fuss is - but I read a lot of fussing on forums. It's EZ - lifebloom only has one stack now (dumbed down), we lost a heal (nourish), WG has a cast time and a bigger mana cost - but people are whining it's like Cata again. From someone who healed a lot in Cata, I don't see that at all. Maybe it's because we're at the end of an xpac and we have high haste/regen - but I didn't have to be careful at all. I went glyph of rejuvenation and HT - put up 3 rejuv's, and spammed HT. Mana was not an issue at all - I could spam HT, rejuv, and swiftmend all day and not run out of mana. I did notice that tanks were taking some pretty serious damage in UBRS - but was probably just undergeared or didn't know how to play. Any other healers with thoughts? I was invited to SoO heroic, but didn't have time. I DID hear from the guy who invited me that a lot of healers were struggling to adjust and heals were difficult.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

I'm playing a Holy Priest. I went from renewing and using greater heal in between instant casts (CoH, PoM, Cascade, Proc'd flash heal, proc'd PoM). To utilizing serendipity ATON. Flash Heal, Flash Heal, Heal was necessary to deal with tank damage and flash heal, flash heal, Prayer of Healing was needed for heavy AoE damage.

I too wasn't able to OOM myself no matter how much spamming I did. I was gemmed for mostly spirit because I needed the regen to use all my instant casts as much as I wanted for raids but changed all the spirit to crit/mastery/intellect now that it really isn't needed.

PoM and having a cast time has really stopped me from utilizing it a ton. I generally pre PoM the tank and will try and do it before AoE damages but I am no longer doing it while AoE damage is happening. Its easier to keep flashing and healing or flashing and PoHing. I actually liked how it felt but I am concerned on movement heavy fights that I will be a ton less effective. Cascade also has a cast which makes me sad. It's still useful enough to use in AoE damage situations.

My top heal went from PoM and CoH to flash heal.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to clawfury

to clawfury
Hm.

Back to my Rogue I go I guess. I'm refuse to heal if it is anything like the way it was at Cata launch. Absolutely fucking refuse.
said by f0rtys3ven:

My top heal went from PoM and CoH to flash heal.

That is super fucking concerning. Flash Heal won't be viable with a gear reset, which means they probably fucked up healing. Again.
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury

It's hard to say, honestly, in end of expansion gear. Like 47 said, you can spam w/e you want without running out of mana. I need to try my priest this week. I think the only way I could have OOM'ed myself was using WG on CD and spamming regrowth, and even that might have been tough. Spike damage has not changed IMO, if anything it's worse. DPS were taking huge hits if they got aggro, or from AOE effects. If I counted to 3 without healing the paladin tank in the second UBRS I did, he could be at 10% health. I don't see how this fits with their tactical decision making healing.

Lothario
join:2009-09-30
Ottawa, ON

Lothario to clawfury

to clawfury
Well that explains all the ordos wipes last night.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

There is a massive list of things that supposedly will be fixed on the next server restart and some...hot fix stuff I believe. In a lot of cases there was shit that wasn't squished or scaled correctly.
Wishflthinkn
join:2011-01-27
Bruceton Mills, WV

Wishflthinkn to Lothario

to Lothario
Blizz has stated that the mana regen rate at current level is extremely high to allow us to learn to heal the new way without punishing the party. As we level in the xpac the mana regen will tone down causing us to have to triage and select the best heal not the biggest one. Not much change if you have been smart all along. Terrible if you have become spam addicted by that point.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven to clawfury

to clawfury
I did a heroic scenario last night and we were getting one shot by AoE mechanics.

It felt untuned for sure.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to Wishflthinkn

to Wishflthinkn
said by Wishflthinkn:

Blizz has stated that the mana regen rate at current level is extremely high to allow us to learn to heal the new way without punishing the party. As we level in the xpac the mana regen will tone down causing us to have to triage and select the best heal not the biggest one. Not much change if you have been smart all along. Terrible if you have become spam addicted by that point.

I healed when Down Ranking was still a thing. Their return and "reinvention" of Triage healing, which they championed for Cata, was garbage. Absolutely terrible. So this is very concerning.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven to Adalicia

to Adalicia
I think flash will be fine. If this path continues I don't think Mana is going to be that big of deal.

Plus with free Procs a lot of the serendipity stacks come from that. I also got my binding heal glyph and was using that quite a bit as well for stacks and when I needed heals with the tank.

I think it felt fine but I really liked all my instant casts . . . . oh well.

Any holy pallys out here? Thats my other option to main for expan and was wondering how it felt. I have never played a holy pally but have a 90 one sitting there. Thanks blizz.
f0rtys3ven

f0rtys3ven

I am going to be pretty annoyed though if I have to not cast continuously because of mana. IDK if I am ADD or not but I hate standing there doing nothing waiting for damage. Usually I at least renew. I think it would be a step backward if we had to go back to stand there and wait for dmgs to heal. I hate having to bind smite and holy fire as my shit to do while I am standing here buttons. It feels so wet noodle.

If there is mana issues I'll probably just play Disc till I have raid gear and its less of a problem.
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury

If that's confirmed about the mana as wish says, then I will be concerned, as well. The heals are extremely small. If you have to be concerned about mana again - it will be Cata all over - people taking 50% of their hip in a single GCD, you heal them for 2% of their health and use 10% of your mana doing it. Drinking after every pull. I don't know why they are so obsessed with the Cata way of healing. I can see them wanting to tone down smart heals and fast cast spamming - but I hope not by reintroducing the mana nightmare.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by clawfury:

If that's confirmed about the mana as wish says, then I will be concerned, as well. The heals are extremely small. If you have to be concerned about mana again - it will be Cata all over - people taking 50% of their hip in a single GCD, you heal them for 2% of their health and use 10% of your mana doing it. Drinking after every pull. I don't know why they are so obsessed with the Cata way of healing. I can see them wanting to tone down smart heals and fast cast spamming - but I hope not by reintroducing the mana nightmare.

They want to make healing "interesting" or some fucking bullshit. I healed when Down Ranking was still a thing. It wasn't fun, it wasn't interesting, it didn't make for good game design. I healed when it was literally spam nothing but CoH in the Sunwell era. It wasn't fun, it wasn't interesting, it didn't make for good game design. I healed when it was the quintessential definition of Health Bar whack-a-mole in Wrath, where the damage was big, the heals were big, and everything was very reactive. But you know what? Looking back? It was fun, it was interesting, and in comparison to Down Ranking, spamming broken AoE heals to deal with broken amounts of damage in Sunwell, and the bullshit half cocked mess that was the "return to triage healing" in Cata that literally made me rage quit, it was good solid design that involved both the proper use of abilities (assuming you were playing a Priest at that time) and both reflexive healing and encounter knowledge.

Bodybagger
Premium Member
join:2010-03-30
Saint Matthews, SC

Bodybagger to clawfury

Premium Member

to clawfury
I ran across some issues on my lock last night running demo and dueling my wife on her disc priest. Life drain and glyph of siphon life with soul link and my pet wasn't healing for any more than ~350 health every 2 seconds or so. Needless to say my pet was dead from reflective shield in 15 seconds and I couldn't heal him. 2 Flash heals later she is full health and still full mana. I might hop on my holy pally tonight and try him out some.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven to Adalicia

to Adalicia
I was playing Disc/Holy and it was a lot of fun in Wrath! Disc was really good at the start of the expan and Holy was crazy fun toward the end even though Disc was probably more useful. I can remember solo healing 10 VoA every week as holy and feeling like a BOSS.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

I ran Holy in Wrath until we hit General Vizax in Ulduar. I swapped to Discipline to abuse the puddle mechanics and realized I adored that era of Discipline healing (because during TBC it was essentially a PvP spec with very little PvE worth, CoH was just too stupidly strong) and ended up using it the majority of the time through the rest of the expansion.

But that brings up another point, during that period it was awesome because I would do some encounters as one, some encounters as the other. I remember having to go Holy during ICC for Blood Queen Lanathel for example but running Discipline when I was doing the raid and tank healing during Valithria Dreamwalker.

Healing was just flat out fun. You felt powerful, it was challenging (fuck anyone who argues otherwise, you weren't trying to heal Firefighter or Agalon at progression then), and it was just fun. Healing in Cata was literally so bad that I quit playing. It made the game that un-fun for me.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5

said by Adalicia:

Healing was just flat out fun. You felt powerful, it was challenging (fuck anyone who argues otherwise, you weren't trying to heal Firefighter or Agalon at progression then), and it was just fun. Healing in Cata was literally so bad that I quit playing. It made the game that un-fun for me.

Healing wasn't that bad in Cata. I could heal dungeons without going OOM by keeping a HOT rolling and spamming my low level heal on the tank. The issue was the raid wide damage which knocked 75% of health off the whole raid. Trying to keep up with that before the next ability forced the OOM.

Healing itself wasn't the issue, it was the crazy damage spikes which was.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

You must not have played a Priest at Cata launch because several instances were exceptionally difficult to do as a Priest (some even nearly impossible). Even with full guild runs. And I don't consider myself a bad player in the least.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to clawfury

Premium Member

to clawfury
Stop thinking changes are balanced for level 90.

They have no intention of balancing 60, 70, 85, 90 - balance @ 90 is understandably out the window. Focus will now be on level 100.

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to f0rtys3ven

to f0rtys3ven
said by f0rtys3ven:

if I have to not cast continuously because of mana. IDK if I am ADD or not but I hate standing there doing nothing waiting for damage.

I'm the exact same way and why I don't have any healing toons except Disc which is not used very often (other than it was a blast to level with).
Carpie

Carpie to f0rtys3ven

to f0rtys3ven
said by f0rtys3ven:

Any holy pallys out here?

Going to have to coerce ZSwiftmend to come out from the shadows....
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
I don't expect it to be balanced for lvl 90. This is exactly how the pre-patch to CATA was. Super small heals, but mana was infinite. Fast forward to launch of Cata - that was tiny heals with huge mana cost in 463 gear, and massive spike damage on the raid / tank. Their past record with "balance" doesn't leave me feeling very secure about it. I managed in Cata, but it wasn't what i would call fun. I raided the first tier in blues, I healed all of the heroics and got all of the achievements. It was just painful.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to Adalicia

to Adalicia
Priest and druid at the time and I never raided. I thought we were comparing dungeons, sorry.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

1 edit

Snuffbox to clawfury

Premium Member

to clawfury
If people can't heal dungeons, it will be fixed.

I for one, liked when healing was actually difficult.

Typically it's hard in the beginning of the expansion because everyone feels they should be eligible to run a dungeon regardless of their gear. Then, without any changes to healing, gear improves enough that dungeons are now a cake walk.

If you guys had it your way, dungeons would be a cake walk from the beginning, and when you got gear you would be bored out of your mind spamming the WoW forums with how terrible WoD 5 mans are.

Wake up.

(Not necessarily directed at you Clawfury)
ZSwiftmend
join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

ZSwiftmend to Carpie

to Carpie
Thanks Carpie!! =P
I healed Celestials last night on my holy paly (ilvl 570ish), which doesn't really count. My only initial dislike is having one instant cast spell - Holy Shock, once every 8 seconds. When we get a chance to run SoO, I think we will get a better idea of how effective/non-effective the changes really are.
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
I don't mind difficulty, at all, Snuff. I like difficult content. I enjoyed healing the Cata dungeons - the part I hated was that every time an idiot stepped in something - it did 1/2 to 3/4 of their hp in a single shot - and I couldn't save them from that, without going OOM and then wiping. I hated being dependent on idiots. I like having the power to cover for people's mistakes - even if it requires inhuman reflexes / out of the box thinking - but with no mana, i can't do sh*t That what I disliked about Cata.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

If people can't heal dungeons, it will be fixed.

I for one, liked when healing was actually difficult.

Typically it's hard in the beginning of the expansion because everyone feels they should be eligible to run a dungeon regardless of their gear. Then, without any changes to healing, gear improves enough that dungeons are now a cake walk.

If you guys had it your way, dungeons would be a cake walk from the beginning, and when you got gear you would be bored out of your mind spamming the WoW forums with how terrible WoD 5 mans are.

Wake up.

Oh come-the-fuck-on. I have no problem with difficulty. I didn't mind healing at the launch of TBC, it was pretty fucking difficult. I didn't mind healing at the launch of Wrath, cause believe it or not, that was actually pretty difficult too (Paladin's for example basically couldn't heal Loken, he ate groups like candy).

I do not like going into an expansion, however, as the weakest class that then spends the next three months getting token buffs to make it so they can actually heal the content. I don't like suffering through that with shithead mouth breathing DPS that got used to the fact that the healer could make up for their mistakes. Heaven forbid I actually felt like I could accomplish something with a health bar instead of just nudging it ever so slightly, assuming I could spare the mana for a token renew because the tank was getting hit like a truck and mana was horribly limiting. Drinking after ever pull was a ton of fun. Having bad DPS blame me for their deaths because I could not longer make up for their errors was a ton of fun. Having large chunks of spike damage that required a third of the mana bar to "fix" was a ton of fun. Struggling through five man content with guild groups was a riot.

So much fucking fun. It was great.

You fookin' serious mate?

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie

Ada are you on any blood pressure meds?
Hazmat
join:2007-07-10
Laveen, AZ

Hazmat to Snuffbox

to Snuffbox
said by Snuffbox:

Stop thinking changes are balanced for level 90.

They have no intention of balancing 60, 70, 85, 90 - balance @ 90 is understandably out the window. Focus will now be on level 100.

But...that's the problem.

We have one month of MoP with stat squish, screwed up talents, no profession perks, and downgraded gems, enchants and potions/flasks. Then we have to get from 90 to 100 BEFORE "balance" shows up to play.

In the meantime, what? Grin and bear with it? The expectation of 10 levels of subpar abilities does nothing to correct my belief that things are just not right.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

I do not like going into an expansion, however, as the weakest class

It's a little early to call out broken/OP classes.
said by Adalicia:

Drinking after ever pull was a ton of fun.

I agree, this is never fun.
said by Adalicia:

Having bad DPS blame me for their deaths because I could not longer make up for their errors was a ton of fun.

You and I both know this will always exist. Making healers so powerful that they can compensate for terrible players only cripples the game. The players never improve, and the game gets easier because they can ignore mechanics, standing in fire/cleave while their healer thoughtlessly bombs heals.

We don't have to agree, but in my opinion difficulty is healthy. However, I do agree that drinking between each pull sucked and was not fun or a testament to skill.