Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

2 recommendations

Davesnothere

Premium Member

[Seamonkey] Tab Mix Plus for SeaMonkey

If you are unhappy at not being able to use the Tab Mix Plus extension with SeaMonkey, then this post may help you somewhat.

In an attempt to emulate the functionalities of Tab Mix Plus in current SeaMonkey, I have been piece-mealing together a collection of other smaller add-ons.

So far, I have 5, for adding various subsets of what Tab Mix Plus can do, and I have tested all of these to work properly on the now-current version 2.29.1 of SeaMonkey.

Some of these are NOT on the AMO site, which is why they may be hard to find, as well as that some of their titles are not sufficiently self-explanatory of their specific functions.

If you are a taboholic like me, you NEED these functionalities !

Tabs Open Relative - version 0.3.3 (Modified for SeaMonkey by a new author)
The web page with the direct download link is here :
»xsidebar.mozdev.org/modi ··· relative
The first link (of two) at that page gives the version which is intended for SeaMonkey.

This extension forces all new tabs to be opened to the immediate right of the current tab, regardless of how the new tab was requested, and regardless of whether there are any other tabs already open to the right of the current tab.

It is a modified edition of a FireFox extension, specifically altered for SeaMonkey.

Here is the recent thread at Mozillazine forum in which it is mentioned :
»forums.mozillazine.org/v ··· =2879015

SeaTab-X-2 - version 0.3.1 (updated by a new author)
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· ?src=api
Controls on which and how many tabs that the tab closing 'X' is placed

FLST (Focus Last Selected Tab) (Firefox 4+) - version 1.1.5 (updated by a new author)
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· ww-flst/
Makes the browser focus on the last (most recent previously) selected tab when you close the current tab

Duplicate This Tab - version 1.3
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· rprofile
Creates a duplicate of the current tab, and it alone can be told where to put the duplicate tab, and whether or not to focus on it, even without the 'Tabs Open Relative' add-on

It will install as-is into SeaMonkey, and has worked fine for ME, even though the web page suggests that it is not compatible.

Tab Clicking Options - version 0.6.9.2.0 (updated by a new author)
»www.binaryturf.com/free- ··· irefox-4
Allows the user to specify various actions which will happen if we click on a tab in various ways other than a single left-click or a single right-click, which themselves will still do what they normally do

The link leads to version 0.6.9.2.0 , and version 0.6.9.2.1 will be offered as an update on the add-ons page of SeaMonkey.

I don't seem to have a web page link for version 0.6.9.2.1 of this update, though I somehow managed to accumulate an offline copy of the .XPI file for it, so if I find a link for the newer .XPI file, I'll edit this post or add it in a followup.

= = = = = = =

New Tab Toolbar Button

Though not a specific function of Tab Mix Plus, this add-on provides a MOVABLE button for opening a new tab, as the original SeaMonkey tiny default button for this purpose cannot be moved to a more convenient location as is possible in most other Mozilla browsers (BTW, I have also found CSS code which will hide the original SM New Tab button, but none to let it be moved).

There are 4 steps to make this one work with SeaMonkey (and not all add-ons respond to this procedure) :

(1) Using FIREFOX, download the .XPI file by right-clicking on the button and 'Saving Link Target As', from HERE :
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· -button/
(Some add-ons to convert will download fine in SeaMonkey, but not THIS one.)

(2) Switch to SEAMONKEY to Upload and CONVERT the .XPI file, to make it compatible for SeaMonkey at THIS site :
»addonconverter.fotokraina.com/
(Thanks to 'Lemon Juice' for the site !)

(3) Save the converted .XPI file back to your computer.

(4) In SEAMONKEY, use the 'Install Add-on from File' function of SeaMonkey's Add-ons page to install it.

BTW, SeaMonkey by default still has the 'New Tab' choice in the Tab Context Menu (as does Internet Explorer), something which TMP can restore to FireFox, since FireFox removed this crucially convenient function ages ago.

= = = = = = =

This next-linked thread also covers a couple of the above extensions/add-ons, plus some others for SeaMonkey.

»[Seamonkey] SeaMonkey: Essential Extensions
Bobby_Peru
Premium Member
join:2003-06-16

1 edit

Bobby_Peru

Premium Member

Wow! Great post! That will be very helpful for S&M users.

Any chance that Tab Utilities »addons.mozilla.org/en-US ··· ilities/ or any of it's variations would work?

They still haven't changed that suite's name to something less nauseating..... its as if the Wizard of Oz goes nautical...

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Thanks !

I think that I had heard of Tab Utilities before, but had forgotten to check it out.

The install.rdf file of 'TU' only shows FireFox, so it might be a candidate for the conversion site which I added near the end of my OP, after your reply.

However not all add-ons achieve success from doing that - for example, Tab Mix Plus did not (I tried), and I notice from the screenshots that Tab Utilities full edition provides many of the same functions which TMP offers.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

UPDATE :

I ran the Tab Utilities .XPI file thru the conversion site, and the modified file did install to SeaMonkey, but no controls were present, and trying to access its options thru the browser add-ons screen gave an error message.

Oh well....
Davesnothere

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Since we were updating threads regarding important/essential FireFox extensions, this one seems to be close enough to matter too, as well as other threads linked from within, and from within the further linked threads - 3 or more levels of nesting of links.