spc
Search similar:

uniqs

antispy12
@24.91.120.x

antispy12

Anon

MVPS hosts file still the best?

Is the MVPS hosts file found here still one of the best? »winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm This is the original download site, correct? Using it on Win 7. Thanks for any help.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

See:
»[Free] MVPS Hosts Sept 30 2014
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to antispy12

Premium Member

to antispy12
the "winhelp2002" HOSTS file is very good.. i would recommend that everyone use it..

if you want to merge other HOSTS files with the winhelp2002 HOSTS file, you can do that..

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to antispy12

Premium Member

to antispy12
I thinks hosts file in these times. Its a waste and a false sense of security. Things change so much and so fast. It can also break websites. For example. I needed to use Symantec customer live support chat. It would not work because of this hosts file. It had certain entries that blocked the chat from working. So, after that. I just stopped using one. Adblock Edge, Spywareblaster and NoScript works good enough imo.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

I agree....... Having scripts disabled does cut down the ads on many sites!! (Depending on how they have them called)

hyphenated
@166.147.120.x

hyphenated to antispy12

Anon

to antispy12

Re: MVPS hosts file still the best?

Glad to see it still updated. Been using it for YEARS and never had a problem. Also I have it merged with a local DNS server at home with other sources as needed. Updated via cron weekly

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
MVPS officially doesn't like merging with others but it's OK.
»winhelp2002.mvps.org/hos ··· #Merging

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to redwolfe_98

MVM

to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

the "winhelp2002" HOSTS file is very good.. i would recommend that everyone use it..

The original purpose of the hosts file was to assign host names to IP addresses. It was actually necessary before the DNS system was deployed.

I tried a couple of recommended hosts files; and they broke some sites. Trying to sort out exceptions was a Royal PITA. This was before the current hosts managers.

Now I just use the hosts file as originally intended; only on my LAN (instead of trying to run a local DNS server).

Script and ad blockers deal with the rest.

Sportsfan
join:2012-03-26

Sportsfan to antispy12

to antispy12
I like the minimalist malware-blocking hosts file at »www.malwaredomainlist.co ··· osts.txt

I use it to supplement the ABP Malware Domains subscription.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 recommendation

Bill_MI to redwolfe_98

MVM

to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

I fully agree, have been using it for ages (maybe 10 years). But obviously, everyone's mileage varies. I've seen sites break but they've been very few and far between for me.

The biggest plus I used to measure was how pages loaded faster when they didn't have to fetch as much. When I hear ad blockers (never used one) fetch then filter that's not as good. Been awhile since I really measured this, though.

Just my 2 cents.

hyphenated
@108.251.117.x

hyphenated to NormanS

Anon

to NormanS
NormanS

Its really easy with something like dnsmasq which can simply point to a text file. You can use DHCP/DNS to help protect your entire LAN, and DNS lookups are quicker/cached. No overhead or special software required. I don't run any security software except standard antivirus, never had problems with anything; if something is blocked well then it needs to be for a reason. That being said I don't get around like I used to - half of the internet is junk/ads anyway. I am going to donate.