spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey

[Network] Apple TV on wired, Mac/iPhone/iPad on wireless with client isolation

If WAP client isolation were enabled on a network, would connected wireless devices be able to print to wired printers?

It seems to me that with layer 2 client isolation enabled in WAPs, Apple TV on wifi would not work via AirPlay with other wifi-connected devices such as iPhone, iPad. Is that correct?

What I want to do is put the AppleTV on the wired Ethernet, and then use the iPhone, iPad and MacBook on the private wifi network, to stream to the Apple TV via AirPlay. Do you see any issues with that off-the-bat?

One more question: With AP client isolation enabled at Layer 2, might there be any Layer 3 (or 2) workaround to allow communication between the Apple TV and any wireless device? I'm thinking no way since I believe the isolation is at Layer 2. But I'd rather put the Apple TV on the guest network so guest presenters could use it without having to join the private network, which involves the bureaucracy.
ArgMeMatey

ArgMeMatey

I played with this setup, so here are my results for posterity.
said by ArgMeMatey:

If WAP client isolation were enabled on a network, would connected wireless devices be able to print to wired printers?

Client isolation is not used on the private network, so I can't answer this question.
said by ArgMeMatey:

It seems to me that with layer 2 client isolation enabled in WAPs, Apple TV on wifi would not work via AirPlay with other wifi-connected devices such as iPhone, iPad. Is that correct?

Yes.
said by ArgMeMatey:

What I want to do is put the AppleTV on the wired Ethernet, and then use the iPhone, iPad and MacBook on the private wifi network, to stream to the Apple TV via AirPlay. Do you see any issues with that off-the-bat?

Yes. The wired and wireless networks are separate IP subnets routed at Layer 3 (IP) but AirPlay apparently requires a Layer 2 connection. So it won't work in my case.
said by ArgMeMatey:

One more question: With AP client isolation enabled at Layer 2, might there be any Layer 3 (or 2) workaround to allow communication between the Apple TV and any wireless device? I'm thinking no way since I believe the isolation is at Layer 2. But I'd rather put the Apple TV on the guest network so guest presenters could use it without having to join the private network, which involves the bureaucracy.

No "automatic, sticky" workarounds that I can think of. The Apple TV can be switched between wired Ethernet and the wireless guest and wireless private networks, but that appears to require entering a password each time it is switched onto a different wireless network. So it practically requires using the IR remote and a bluetooth keyboard, and of course, the user has to know the passwords.