uniqs

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

[Plumbing] Pipe Relocation; copper or PEX

Doing some renovations and need to relocate some pipes between the basement and second floor, just wondering if there is any value in using PEX or just stick with copper as the rest of the house will still be copper.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Since the rest of the house is all copper I'd stick with copper, if you can afford it and don't mind the extra work. Copper has stood the test of time, can't go wrong.

But that's just my opinion.

PEX does have a distinct cost and ease of installation advantage however, though some people would argue that it hasn't been around long enough to determine its long term reliably, but thus far PEX does seem to hold up pretty good. Incredibly easy to install compared to copper.

Your choice.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
What do you think? The answer would depend on your definition of "value". Cost? Time? Convenience? Difficulty?

How many feet are are you having to relocate? How many fittings do you estimate if you were to use copper?

down south
@166.147.104.x

down south to JC_

Anon

to JC_
If you opt for PEX, don't forget to (electrically) bond the now isolated portions of the copper plumbing system.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

The work is being done by a plumber that the renovation company hired so I won't be doing any of the work myself.

The copper that needs to be moved is a hot/cold line and it's probably around 15-25' and they'll be able to reuse most of the existing copper.

The fittings required would be 2 Ts, 4 90s and 2 couplings.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to JC_

to JC_
I still prefer good old sweated copper, unless the water is soft and dissolves copper ofc, in that case I would be using PEX going forward.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

Copper has stood the test of time, can't go wrong.

If by "stood the test of time" you mean "rotted out and developed tons of pinhole leaks after only ~20 years" then you would be correct. You should of seen the insides of the pipes we ripped out back where I used to live; looked like they were etched all along the inside. You could bend some of the sections in half with your bare hands.

Of course, not everywhere has this water which eats up the copper...

/M

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to JC_

to JC_
Since the rest is copper and you can re-use most of the cut out, I think the answer should be pretty obvious. Copper.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to mackey

to mackey
said by mackey:

If by "stood the test of time" you mean "rotted out and developed tons of pinhole leaks after only ~20 years" then you would be correct.

Yes, as already noted, copper is not appropriate for unconditioned water from certain surface sources and aquifers.

If you lived in Nepean, Ontario or if your water came from the same system or aquifer or similar geology, your comment would be more relevant. But since you don't reveal where you "used to live", you may limit the OP's ability to consider your comments helpful.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

said by TheMG:

Copper has stood the test of time, can't go wrong.

If by "stood the test of time" you mean "rotted out and developed tons of pinhole leaks after only ~20 years" then you would be correct. You should of seen the insides of the pipes we ripped out back where I used to live; looked like they were etched all along the inside. You could bend some of the sections in half with your bare hands.

Of course, not everywhere has this water which eats up the copper...

Let me guess, well water with a significant concentration of sulfur compounds?

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

Ended up just reusing all of the copper and adding whatever was needed.

Termites
@174.64.136.x

Termites to TheMG

Anon

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

PEX does have a distinct cost and ease of installation advantage however, though some people would argue that it hasn't been around long enough to determine its long term reliably, but thus far PEX does seem to hold up pretty good. Incredibly easy to install compared to copper.

Your choice.

really you sure?

The first PEX material was prepared in the 1930s,

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
said by TheMG:

Let me guess, well water with a significant concentration of sulfur compounds?

Yes to the well, no idea about the sulfur as I never had it tested but it did not have a smell or taste.

/M
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

just wondering if there is any value in using PEX or just stick with copper as the rest of the house will still be copper.

Suburban Nepean water is very gentle on copper - my friend's house is 50 years old, mine is 25 years old. But I am gradually swapping out copper runs with PEX, mainly because of the convenience.

Since you are concerned about potential problems with PEX, here is a relevant article from the insurance folks: »www.claimscanada.ca/issu ··· 39&er=NA

If you choose PEX, make sure you use genuine Uponor/Wirsbo tube and fittings. Avoid cheaper stuff like Rifeng.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by JC_:

Ended up just reusing all of the copper and adding whatever was needed.

After speaking with the contractor, ended up using PEX for all of the new water lines including the pipe relocation.

I can already notice a difference that it's quiter in the house when the water is running, mostly due to the fact the lines are all secured properly ot the studs whereas the old copper was loose.